Right of neighbour over my land

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Feb 2018 9:44 PM by TandA Star rating. 39 posts Send private message

TandA´s avatar

I recently and reluctantly gave into repeated pleas by my elderly neighbour to allow him to lay his telecommunication cable across my property.  since then he has given me sufficient reason to want to withdraw this facility . I have given him 8 weeks notice in writing asking him to make alternative arrangement.  He now says this gives him recourse to the law, am I in the wrong? Nothing was ever agreed in writing .

Like 0      
20 Feb 2018 10:52 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

So what you are trying to say ..in plain English is you have fell out with your neighbor and you want to get back at them by cutting his telephone off ..

Like 1      
21 Feb 2018 12:36 AM by TandA Star rating. 39 posts Send private message

TandA´s avatar

There is no intention of "getting back at him" the cable has been an inconvenience and an eyesore which  he promised to properly bury but never did. His recent behaviour has led me to wish to no longer cooperate with him. I am looking for informed advice about this situation.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2018 10:09 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 2/23/2018 9:37:00 AM.

Like 1      
21 Feb 2018 7:21 PM by TandA Star rating. 39 posts Send private message

TandA´s avatar

I'm not looking for comments, I'm looking for informed legal advice as this site normally provides. I want to know if my neighbour has any sort of rights that I would violate if I terminated the facility.

Like 1      
21 Feb 2018 7:37 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Whatever the case maybe ..you must get the company that installed the cable to remove it ...you cannot terminate the cable yourself .As far as I am concerned all disputes are fixable ..even pig headed ones.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2018 8:12 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Its probably wise to take some informed legal advice before agreeing to let someone place goods or services on your land.

Taking it after you have given permission is maybe the wrong way round?

I would guess the service company told the neighbour it would cost a lot more money to go round the property, so suggested to them it could be cheaper to make this arrangement.   It looks a little like you fell for it!

Its not unheard of for exposed cables to get damaged, then you could refuse a repair and ask for it to be removed.  Could be cheaper than a lawyer?

Thats the height of legal advice from me anyway!!

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
21 Feb 2018 11:00 PM by TandA Star rating. 39 posts Send private message

TandA´s avatar

thank you all - the cable was actually installed by the neighbour - not by any service provider

Like 0      
22 Feb 2018 12:44 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Easy then....tell him to shift it, you changed your mind.   

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
22 Feb 2018 10:35 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

He has of course no rights unless you allow him expressly, less if you are suffering inconveniences.

Letter, better by a lawyer, should suffice

Good luck

M

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
22 Feb 2018 11:09 AM by eos_moderators Star rating in España. 173 posts Send private message

eos_moderators´s avatar

Please refrain from posting offensive comments and irrelevant comments which do not help. Thank you

Like 1      
22 Feb 2018 12:21 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Mods   

I dont see anything more than mildly strong language and dont see anything really poorly advised in the posts.

I dont fully understand express permission, and the poster has said there was nothing in writing.

Why give 8 weeks notice. it does seem like a strange dispute to me too.  To save falling out with a neighbour in a big way, the advice of talking to them and telling them you want to take the offending cable away seems like good advice.  Others are alternatives at varying heights of applying pressure.  

If the poster wants a magic wand, its not going to be found in here I guess.

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 3:09 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

I am somewhat perplexed at the concept of a neeighbour laying his own telephone cable. Normally the telephone company come and lays a cable right up to the first junction box in your house. Everything up to that box is the utility's property and technically you cannot touch it. I cannot imagine them asking a customer to do that themselves. The whole things sounds fishy to me. I would approach telefonica, or whoever the provide ris, and ask them if they even know about it.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Blood pressure monitor - 2 posts
Best way to transfer money out of Spain - 23 posts
CAPITAL GAINS TAX - RESIDENCIAL PROPERTY - 2 posts
How strange - 7 posts
Buying a Apartment - Wheres the catch? - 10 posts
Fortuna Golf - 6 posts
Neighbour trespassing - 28 posts
Bringing the love to Spain - 4 posts
Revoking a Power of Attorney - 5 posts
Gibraltar and penson - 2 posts
Boundaries - 4 posts
PlusValia Tax - 7 posts
Plants for a roof terrace - 15 posts
Residencia application - 2 posts
Long term rental Torrox or Torre del Mar. Feb 2018 - 0 posts
Does planning permission expire - 7 posts
Non resident enquiry - 10 posts
Stepmother died 3 years ago but still on villa deeds. Tax implication? Fine? - 14 posts
For sale fender mk 111 guitar amplifier - 0 posts
Planning/ license issue - 2 posts
Lawbird - 0 posts
Spanish Resident with Spanish car in UK longer than 6 months - 10 posts
WE WON! - 39 posts
kodi uktv - 7 posts
Banks paying out inheritance to beneficiaries - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x