Repurchase / repossession - advice needed

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jan 2018 1:58 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

In a bank repossession court application, what is the legal rights of a family with children who have a ´long-term´ contract (Contrata de Vivienda) of the property. The tenant has a contract for five years and can always extend by a further 1 year. They have always paid their rent on time to the owner.

This message was last edited by Kavanagh on 22/01/2018.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2018 2:15 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Bank needs to respect the current rental contract in that case

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 1      
27 Jan 2018 5:08 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Sounds like a win win for the previous owner who received rent in advance and did not pay the Bank mortgage.

A win win for the tenant who has a contract and can’t be moved.

Bad news for the Bank who can’t easily sell with sitting tenant.

Possibly bad news for neighbours and Community IF the tenant decides not to follow Community rules.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2018 2:28 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I would have thought that the Spanish Banks would have  clauses...in the mortgage contract...the same as the UK Banking industry has ....for instance  you would need written  permission from the Bank to sub let ....I doubt very much if any Bank's ...especially the ones in Spain would agree to you subletting with a five year contract for obvious reasons.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2018 2:28 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I would have thought that the Spanish Banks would have  clauses...in the mortgage contract...the same as the UK Banking industry has ....for instance  you would need written  permission from the Bank to sub let ....I doubt very much if any Bank's ...especially the ones in Spain would agree to you subletting with a five year contract for obvious reasons.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2018 2:30 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

I agree with that windtalker, there will be restrictions and they can likely evict lawfully.  

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
28 Jan 2018 3:00 PM by georgie1 Star rating. 76 posts Send private message

Knowing the scruples of the Spanish banks ,they will probably send minders to evict and break the legs of any tenants ?

repurchase

Like 0      
28 Jan 2018 3:06 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Brian

Maria thinks not. Yes, maybe the bank can reposes but they may become heir to the tenants and their ´long-term´ contract (Contrata de Vivienda) of the property.

How are the tenants suppose to know about clauses in the landlords mortgage contract?.

Would a Spanish judge consent to an eviction and make them homeless?.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2018 3:15 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

I was considering the point windtalker made Kavanagh.  

If a purchaser takes out a mortgage, the provider of the funds will protect their interests by making conditions that the mortgage holder will live there as their main residence.   If any tenancies are created that’s an arrangement between the mortgage holder and the tenant, if it isn’t declared or has any permission of the mortgage provider, the contract is broken isn’t it.

Surely the person holding the mortgage has to comply with the contract they signed with the bank, if the bank disallows tenancies in the contract then the tenant doesn’t have Safe rights to stay, it seems!

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
28 Jan 2018 4:45 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Windtalker 

The 5 year deal was no doubt negotiated before repossession hence the previous owner pocketed the 5 year rent with a pretty tight contract, believe me we had a few on our Community.

We also have problems with a very antisocial tenant who ignores many of the Community rules but it appears his landlord, a Bank who repossessed the apartment is also not receiving the due rent and appears to be finding it difficult to evict them.

The Law has come down very much in favour of supposedly hard done by tenants NOT banks as unhappy owners.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2018 8:18 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I am not disputing anything that you are saying Hugh Man...but knowing how unscrupulous the Spanish Banks are I am very surprised ..that they allow long term contract's on properties that they have mortgages on ...this subletting would not be allowed in the UK ...as the Bank's shareholders would not be happy having to wait five year's before they could Repo the property ...hence the maximum six month short hold contract's on buy to let's in the UK....this is good news to any one that is getting there so called property reposed by the Bank ...before they evict you if you want to have one over on them just rent the property out on a long term 5 year contract job done.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 28/01/2018.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2018 9:54 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

hugh_man

''Possibly bad news for neighbours and Community IF the tenant decides not to follow Community rules.''

The tenant is of good behaviour and always pays rent on time. Why think differently?.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2018 12:44 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Pays rent to who?

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
29 Jan 2018 1:01 AM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Windtalker

I could not agree more, banks most definitely are unscrupulous but I think there are also dodgy property owners who exploit loopholes.

How else do they get away with offering 5 year contracts at very low €150 per month contracts.

In our Community, one owner owned 10 apartments which were finally repossessed by Santander ALL with sitting tenants.

They even tried offering the tenants a mortgage to buy at 50% of current value but only sold one.

Kavanagh

I agree in this case tenant is good, I was merely pointing out the possibilities of circumstances when bad tenants exist.

No idea how owners can sublet without banks permission, then default but it has certainly happened in abundance.

Courts also very supportive of not  making tenants homeless by nasty banks.

La Caixa has one in ours and pays the fees, now but the tenant has erected an illegal green mesh shading.

Community cannot force the tenant to remove it, we have to send Burofax to Bank, who it would appear cannot evict non rent paying tenant.

Some, it would appear can outdo banks.

😀

This message was last edited by hugh_man on 29/01/2018.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2018 9:09 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Mortgage lending is a risk business, and it is the banks duty to be aware of those risks and pitfalls within the justice system. They will structure their products to financially take into account the known risks.

I suppose the tenant in this case will pay rent to whoever is the legal landlord.

Cases of bad tenants has nothing to do with this scenario, any tenant or property owner in the world can be a nuisance or defaulter. Any EOS member wishing to post about bad tenants should start a separate thread.

Perhaps a bit more thought should be given to the innocent tenant caught up in this situation.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2018 9:27 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

But Kavanagh......

if it’s not clear who’s getting the rent, this whole thread falls apart.   The property has to be paid for, that’s page one point one of any mortgage, otherwise it’s foreclosed.   

The tenant becomes a squatter when the mortgagee is subject to foreclosure.   It doesn’t matter if the tenant is really nice or is a complete idiot, I don’t see any legal tenancy.

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
29 Jan 2018 10:03 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Brian it’s not what you see that counts, but it is how the Spanish courts choose to see it that counts. Sorry if that’s not to your liking.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2018 10:28 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

That’s what the aim is for me Kavanagh.     It’s not a question of what I like, but what is correct and can be understood.

what I am not understanding is how a person who no longer owns a house, can continue to rent it out.   And how a tenancy can be secure when it’s set up by a person who doesn’t own a property any more.  

If you can provide the law that allows it, I can understand it.    But just because the tenant is really nice and pays their rent, doesn’t make it legal.  Lots of people who say, well this is Spain or you don’t understand because it’s not the UK are hiding behind the fact that they don’t know themselves (I often find!).  

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
29 Jan 2018 10:52 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

what I am not understanding is how a person who no longer owns a house, can continue to rent it out.

Doubt they can legally.

And how a tenancy can be secure when it’s set up by a person who doesn’t own a property any more.  

Is this a case of not wanting to understand?. Once the bank is granted legal possession (and that’s if) they inherit the tenancy agreement. If the bank does not want the tenant or the tenancy agreement they will have to apply to the courts to have it dissolved and the tenant made homeless. Of course it is possible the courts will refuse.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2018 11:25 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

One of the two businesses I run I the UK is ....property development /rentals...What this involves is going to property auction's and buying Repo /rundown   properties and the likes ....I have seen many a property go to auction with sitting tenant's depending on how long you have to wait for full ownership ..will reflect apon the price paid ..a property with tenants with a five year rental agreement ..would only devalue the property by 10% providing if the seller's could  prove that the tenants are good payer's/if the tenants are bad payer's ...you will expect a 50% discount if you had to wait 5 years for the keys ...most in the trade would tend to keep away .

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Inheritance Tax on Irish assets - 31 posts
HOW TO CHANGE ENGLISH NIE TO IRISH NIE? - 4 posts
Friends - 1 posts
Thermal imaging or something similar to find water leaking from ceiling. - 3 posts
Hello - 5 posts
Mis-sold Spanish mortgages - 5 posts
Mis-sold Mortgage claims in Spain - 0 posts
What is the Legality of doubling our community fees at the AGM. - 17 posts
A song from Barcelona metro - 0 posts
neighbouring land - 3 posts
Listing of Town - 2 posts
Warning: Lawyers are never appointed by Courts - 2 posts
Locked Spanish safe - 7 posts
Informe de Evaluation de Los Edificios IEE - 4 posts
Solutions for illegal properties: Judges say - 2 posts
Pair of Loungers for Sale €60 - 0 posts
Residencia - 2 posts
AIR CON meters - 0 posts
long term rental agents in Nerja - 4 posts
Rental in montanosa - 4 posts
Movistar/Telefonica - 9 posts
Mobile Home - 4 posts
English speaking gestor in Murcia or Fortuna - 0 posts
La Renta 2017 - 3 posts
Uk Tv free - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 150

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x