property taxes

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 May 2017 3:09 PM by Janieg Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi

Thankyou to you all for the advise on the NIE now i ave sorted that I need abit more advice.  I am purchasing a property from a friend of ours private sale so funding it from the UK so I dont need a morgage in spain however when Im looking at taxes it says 7-10% Property transfer tax......... How do I know if it 7 or 10 % thats a big different lol.  The other taxes see to vary as well but they arnt as bad as this huge one . Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Like 0      
04 May 2017 3:15 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Spain is not one big country (well, it is when you look on a map) but 17 different self-governing regions with a federal government in Madrid. Each of these regions set their own rules for things like property taxes, inheritance tax and so on. Some regions have 7% tax for second hand properties with a higher 10% for new ones whilst other regions (like Valencia) have a blanket 10% tax on all properties.

Some regions also charge higher taxes on more expensive properties. 

You would have to say what region you are looking at for us to answer and whether it is new or resale.

This message was last edited by mariedav on 04/05/2017.

Like 0      
04 May 2017 3:29 PM by Janieg Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi

aaaaa thank you Il look into it now . Thankyou for that honestly you try to goole things and never get a straight answer lol.

Thanks

Jane

Like 0      
04 May 2017 3:51 PM by Janieg Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Its Algorfa region.

thanks

Like 0      
04 May 2017 5:01 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

So, Valencia region, therefore 10% transfer tax. On top of that you will have notary fees, land registry fees and legal fees - I suggest you find yourself a lawyer, because if anything goes wrong, you may end up buying from an ex-friend, which would be a shame! 

Take heed of mariedav's information about Spanish autonomous regions. When asking for other help or guidance in the future, you should always let the forum know where in Spain you're referring to, as many things vary regionally, from taxes to healthcare provision - and even language! 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 May 2017 10:27 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

"How do I know if it 7 or 10 % thats a big different lol"

An even bigger difference if the administration decides that the property is worth more than you are paying for it.

We bought a flat at 70kEuros. Valencia decided it was worth 114kE and charged us 10% of that!

Be careful

Like 0      
04 May 2017 11:09 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

And don't forget, if it's a second home (i.e. you're not going to become resident and live there) you'll be paying non-resident income tax whether or not it's producing an income, and if you decide to sell again, you'll pay plus valia tax to the town hall on a perceived increase in value of the land, and if you have actually made a capital gain, tax on that too - and once the UK is no longer part of the EU, some or all of those those taxes will almost certainly be more than they are now because....well, because if Spain can screw foreigners, she does. And you may want to look into inheritance tax - the list goes on. Maybe you should ask your friends why they want to sell!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 May 2017 12:20 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

if it's a second home (i.e. you're not going to become resident and live there) you'll be paying non-resident income tax whether or not it's producing an income

Just to clarify that:  If you let it and  declare the income I believe you are except from the imputed tax (second home tax) for the period it is let.

And just in passing:   If you do become resident, if you have another property of any type (garage space even)  anywhere in  the world, that includes Spain,  you will have to pay that imputed tax on that/those properties.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

trying to find a tax advisor in torrevieja called Andrew - 5 posts
Semi detached 3 bedroom house for sale in Tías - Lanzarote (Canary Islands) - 0 posts
Help! UK TV SERVICE NEEDED - 3 posts
I have received a bill from Patronato de Recaudacion Provincial - 5 posts
ALL AIFOS´BANK GUARANTEES NOW AVAILABLE - 23 posts
Ads Covering Page - 5 posts
Irish Passport - 11 posts
Cheapest site fees in Murcia - 2 posts
Renting for the first time locally to la cala and surrounding - 0 posts
Moving to calahonda - Schooling - 11 posts
filmon now charging - 8 posts
Social Security Papers - 1 posts
Wanted - Treadmill - 0 posts
NIE Number - 18 posts
property ownership - 4 posts
Spanish Bank Account For Non Residents - 10 posts
autonomo benefits - 9 posts
Health care - 2 posts
Lizzy - 4 posts
Writing a new Will - 29 posts
road tax in murcia - 1 posts
Green Bowling in Costa Blanca for all New & Old Expats. - 0 posts
Dog Food Mar Menor Region - 4 posts
Moving to Spain with 2 dogs - 1 posts
Are there blog writers - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x