Contemplating the Big Move!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Jan 2017 11:35 AM by HappyFeet Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi there

We have been toying with the idea of moving for years, a bit more seriously 1 year ago and very seriously now. We're planning a look around trip to the Malaga region next month and viewing a few schools for our 4 and 6 year old.  If we like the area, we're looking to move over the summer holidays so the girls can start their new school at the start of their academic year.

Hubby is a consultant and will continue to work from home in Spain on UK projects and then fly back when needed. We're looking into purchasing a large mobile home/lodge so we have a place to come back to, but also be able to rent out for a bit of income. 

Initially, we'll rent over in Spain but then purchase quite quickly (all being well) with a view to having a property with a couple of holiday lets for me to run.

I've never lived abroad before but hubby spent much of his first 20 years living in Africa dn Germany so I'm very excited about a new begninng but also just a little bit nervous!

Here to ask a few questions and find out lots of useful information!!!

Like 0      
24 Jan 2017 10:21 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

First, use the search forum and other forums specifically for ex pats,  for such things as NIE, requirements for signing on the foreigners register,  buying property, driving in Spain, getting bank accounts, Spanish wills, etc

Prioritise Health, finances, taxes, education

ask the experts in UK when info on tax, health is required- DWP, HMRC  etc

Seek advice on your financial situation in Spain from professionals such as Blevins Franks

Members of forum Will give you their experiences and opinions, and try and answer any remaining questions

you have a lot of research to do!

Like 3      
24 Jan 2017 10:36 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Good post Camposol

Hope you are getting on well back in the UK still?

I would only add, a successful move is all in the planning and having enough money to fund it!

Any problems in life? Not normally sorted by a move to Spain!

Like 1      
25 Jan 2017 8:48 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Happfeet

Good advice from Camposol

Resaerch, research and research again

One small point the starting age for school in Spain is 6 yrs old.

Most schools offer an optional free pre school for 3yrs + maybe this would be good for your younger child

Intense private Spanish lessons for both children over the summer holidays would give them a big head start on day 1 - look into summer schools and private tuition

Good luck

Like 1      
25 Jan 2017 4:07 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Team GB

Thankyou , yes we are getting on ok

we do miss different aspects of our life in Spain, but generally feel we made the right choice to come back when we did

There are still packing boxes lurking in the shed, as a quart won't fit into a pint pot,  as they say, and although we did a lot of sorting and gave a lot to charity, I can't part with some things

As with moving to Spain, you have to be ruthless!

It is nice feeling warm in the winter here, though!

I think it will take a bit longer to shake the sand of Spain off our feet!

we still have friends there and keep in touch

If any of my experiences can help anyone else, that's good,  or if there are people moving back  to the UK, I'll try to help them too

Like 1      
25 Jan 2017 4:24 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

HappyFeet.  There is a post which mentions NIE / EU Citizens Registration. 

As you will be coming to Spain to live here,  then you are obliged to register on the EU Citizens Register immediately and you will be tax resident.   That is,  what you may read about 3 months / 183 days will not apply to you.

Like 1      
26 Jan 2017 12:44 PM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

I wouldn't mind Maria's take on the following.

If someone came to Spain with the intention of staying, and then found out that it wasn't for them, wouldn't registering have been a waste of time for both them and the authorities?

I suppose what I'm asking is, do prospective residents have any sort of settling in time prior to them deciding to stay?

Like 0      
26 Jan 2017 1:03 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hi Destry.

The problem HappyFeet would have,  is that if they move to Spain then they are moving.

However, there is nothing to stop a person coming to Spain to give it a try.   In that case they would not be required to register immediately.  That is not an infrequent occurrence.

A problem occurs for those who come to take up a job offer as they then must register immediately.

However, if one registers,  there is no problem with cancelling it if they decide not to stay. .

This message was last edited by johnzx on 26/01/2017.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2017 1:15 PM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

I would still appreciate Maria's view.

Like 2      
27 Jan 2017 11:54 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Then you should send a PM to Maria. Don't assume she will see this thread.

My best answer: yes, it may appear to have been a waste of time for everyone (complying with the law) if they subsequently change their minds, but equally it may seem to have been a waste of money paying for removals, flights, transfering funds, renting or buying a property etc. etc....but they still would have had to fork out these kind of expenses before realising it was not for them. Whether they realise later it was a mistake or not, they still should comply with the law, i.e. if it is their intention to remain, they need to register straight away. Of course, in practice, nobody (no authority) is likely to know what their "intention" actually is (unless they wish to register for health care etc.), so as John says, there is nothing to stop a person coming to Spain "to give it a try" wink

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Jan 2017 1:05 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Well said Roberto.

We have a significant number of people coming to the police station asking for an NIE, but when questioned they say they have moved here.  That is sometimes to take up a job offer or just moving, maybe as retired.  We advise such people that they must apply for EU Registration.  

Some say they had been advised by their professional adviser that they could just apply for an NIE.  Unfortunately some professional advisers are not up to date with the law.  At the police station of course we deal with such applications many times every day and thus we must know the law.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 27/01/2017.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2017 2:40 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Is it possible that some "professional" advisors simply advise their clients they'd be better off remaining non-residents?! After all, their priority is whatever works in their clients' best interest, and not necessarily upholding the law!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Jan 2017 7:36 PM by eos_moderators Star rating in España. 173 posts Send private message

eos_moderators´s avatar

This is getting a little out of hand. If you can'y hold a civil discussion please don't post. Irrelevant and distracting comments will just be removed so please don't waste your time writing them. If you wish to discuss somthing with another member do it in private through the PM system. Please keep this thread on track.

Thank you

Like 2      
27 Jan 2017 8:44 PM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

HappyFeet,

Might I be so presumptuous as to suggest the following? When you find where you think that you want to live, please go and talk to real people, every pueblo has a community centre, take advice with caution, I don't know about you, but I'm a lot better face to face than with a name on a forum, good luck to you.

Like 3      
28 Jan 2017 10:09 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Roberto:   Is it possible that some "professional" advisors simply advise their clients they'd be better off remaining non-residents?! After all, their priority is whatever works in their clients' best interest, and not necessarily upholding the law!

Roberto, yes of course there could be some instances where a person might in some circumstances be better off being illegal.  However, if they did not already have an NIE then they would be unable to apply for that if they disclosed their true situation.  Not having an NIE would make life difficult for them.

In the case of a person taking up work, needs to register on the EU Register,  it being a requirement when they register with the INEM  (Ministry of Employment).

Re the wrong advice from professionals.  That only comes to light when the person attending the documentation office says they have moved to Spain. If the professional was assisting them to be illegal, one might expect them to have told their client not to tell the truth to the police about their true situation.   Chatting with some professionals who attend with their clients I have found that some do not know the requirements, whilst others had given the correct advice but their client had failed to understand.

PS     In UK lawyers are servants of the court and are not permitted to assist clients  ‘break the law’ they of course can advise best course to be taken if that does not involve 'misleading the court.'.    UK lawyers are forbidden entering a plea of Not Guilty if they‘know’ their client is guilty. Of course if the client lies to them, they are not obliged to find the truth. 

I suspect in Spain similar rules may apply.

I would be interested to have this clarified by an Spanish abogado.

A little 'light reading'   http://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/handbook/code/part2/rule5/content.page

This message was last edited by johnzx on 28/01/2017.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2017 12:24 PM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

HappyFeet,

If you can get Catch Up TV, have a search on A Place in The Sun for a woman looking to move to the Valencia area, she ended up buying a traditional town house in Oliva town for 137,000€, it was a veritable tardis with plenty of outside space and even had parking for 2 cars. What a place to bring up 2 kids, close to schools and all amenities, I appreciate that you like the Malaga area, but this should be able to be replicated in or around Malaga.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Anyone looking for a solicitor in Spain? Check Costaluz Lawyers out. - 0 posts
Maria and Costa Luz Lawyers - 0 posts
Steps for Claims on Floor Clauses in Mortgage contracts - 26 posts
Do i need to be registered to be a key holder?? - 12 posts
Finding the best mortgage - 2 posts
Iberia beckons - 3 posts
Speeding Notification asking for Driver ID - 6 posts
Advice wanted on buying 2nd hand pickup - 0 posts
Hip Op - 5 posts
Car Insurance options? - 4 posts
IT IS SNOWING AT LA ZENIA - 6 posts
Remortgaging a property in Spain - advice please - 17 posts
Planning to invest in Spain Hacienda del Alamo - 3 posts
Paying tax in UK as a Spanish Tax Resident. - 3 posts
CREAM LEATHER CORNER SOFA - 0 posts
Term Life Insurance, Banks Abusing Clients Again - 25 posts
Return car with expired ITV - 5 posts
LA NUCIA TOWN - 0 posts
CAPITAL GAINS TAX DUE ON SALE OF UK PROPERTY - 8 posts
Bargain Loving Brit's In Spain on Thursday night channel 5 UK 8pm - 0 posts
Driving to Spain and paying tolls! - 7 posts
Divorce Attorney - 1 posts
newbie with questions for the community! - 15 posts
Attempting a move to Spain - 0 posts
Cream leather corner sofa - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 23

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x