any info re costs involved with moving to spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Oct 2016 10:20 PM by coedcoch Star rating in north wales(for now). 16 posts Send private message

hello,i am new to the forum and look forward to some feedback about moving to spain. quick background ,have just returned from tortossa after viewing a country property(small 2 bed) but not sure about costs other than the purchase price,how much is the property tax?..also trying to find out a rough quote for all insurance needs(when trying on line you need an address etc,which untill we decide to buy i cannot give) i understand that i cannot get accurate figure yet,but anything would help.also will the estate agent suppy a copy of the neccessary papers for me to make sure all is legal?

Like 0      
23 Oct 2016 9:13 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

You should budget between 12 &13% of purchase price

Sales tax us 8% then you have other fees solicitor notary land registry etc

Estate agents are not much use with the legal paperwork find an independent solicitor and do not use one recommended by estate agent

Like 0      
23 Oct 2016 10:21 AM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

If you borrow money to purchase a property in Spain is a survey required, and if so what is the rough cost? We have all seen programmes such as 'A Place In The Sun'  where an offer is made and a completion date of a few weeks is given, but never is the word 'survey' used. Spain is the preverbial property purchase nightmare capital of the EU, I've heard of apartments with 'death trap' balconies, and have seen villa roofs that require triangulation, do brits leave their brains back in the UK when purchasing property in Spain? 

Like 2      
23 Oct 2016 10:23 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Tadd1966 Sales tax us 8% then you have other fees solicitor notary land registry etc

Sales tax in the Valencia region and Catalunya was increased to 10% in 2013.

Like 0      
23 Oct 2016 12:00 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Costs for moving to Spain, or buying in Spain? 

If you are thinking of moving permanently to Spain, make sure you know about residency rules etc. Income requirements, private medical cover etc.

By the time you've forked out around 12-13% in purchase tax and associated costs (legal, notary, registry etc.) I think you'll find insurance is an insignificant amount - a couple of hundred at most.

Definitely do NOT rely on an estate agent to check legalities etc.; get an independent lawyer, and get them to give you an exact break down of expected costs. Don't rely on guesswork & forums!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
23 Oct 2016 12:31 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

Speaking from a holiday home owners point of view (10 years in Spain) ,if I was you l would rent for a while ,so you can do your own research ,why not ask the owner's of the property if they will rent it to you with a view to buying ,also if you are under retirement age you will require private health care from the first day you set foot in the Spain the EHIC card is for use by UK residents only  .( expensive) good luck and remember don't leave your brain's back in the UK think twice  and part with your money once.

Like 2      
23 Oct 2016 12:41 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

mariedav

I stand correctedsmiley

Like 0      
23 Oct 2016 10:06 PM by coedcoch Star rating in north wales(for now). 16 posts Send private message

thanks to all for your help,we saw english state agent,very friendly and helpfull,we had been to nec at birmingham and was quoted by solicitors approx £20,000 for legal work, and other things such as opening bank accounts(which i can do myself),to which the esate agent said "don't do it,you are being ripped off"..he said he could supply all papers to show house is legal,no debt/disputes etc,he also said "by all means get a soilicitor but they will only get the papers from us anyway" ....if we do decide on purchasing i know i have to pay 10% deposit to secure the sale,how long afterwards have we got pay the remainder?  as we have conflicting replies from various agents

Like 0      
23 Oct 2016 11:27 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Is that £20k including the property transfer tax? If it's just for legal services, I would have to assume your property is costing around 2 million, since lawyers typically charge around 1% of the purchase price for conveyancing services. Whichever lawyer you go to, ask for a detailed breakdown, not just a vague all-inclusive figure.

How much deposit you have to pay is entirely up to you, the seller and the agent; there's no rule. I've bought, and sold, on occasion without any deposit involved, just going straight to completion. The 10% you've been quoted is probably at the insistence of the agent, who probably say they are going to hold it in a "client account", but it's really to ensure they get their commission. I haven't bought anything through an agent for a long, long time, so I'll leave others to say whether this is normal or not. As for the balance, this is payable on completion, at the notary, usually in the form of a banker's draft. Be aware that Spanish banks usually charge a lot more for these than UK banks. Find out beforehand, so you don't get a nasty shock.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Oct 2016 8:49 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Go and see and independent solicitor who will give you the full detail etc

Buying and / or selling it is the safest and best way 

Please don't rely on assumptions and points of view on an open forum none are experts and all have different views, circumstances and experiences 

Like 1      
24 Oct 2016 2:14 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Repetition, Tadd!

Nobody is suggesting relying 100% on info garnered from forums, but if you are going rule out opinions, views etc. from other members as in-expert rubbish, there's really not much point in bothering participating on a forum in the first place. And just for the record, your "advice" to use an independent solicitor is just an opinion too. The OP is free to take it or leave it as they wish, no matter that you believe you are always correct.

Mark Twain

Like 1      
24 Oct 2016 2:24 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

spot on Roberto and remember all posters have view and can critique others commenst especially when they are off thread

A bit of the old pot, kettle and blackk form you - but you are never wrong are you (another deja vu moment here)

Like 1      
24 Oct 2016 3:03 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

...and yet, your previous post was purely to have a go at me because you're angry with what I said on another thread, it had nothing to do with what I actually said here - which was not off-thread either. (In my humble opinion!!!)

Mark Twain

Like 1      
24 Oct 2016 3:31 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

I repeat just so you get the message loud and clear

I have no intention of carrying this on as we are thread drifting and as you haev said before drifting or going off topic is distracting and irrelevant to the OP.

If you really want a fight (not unusual for you) suggest you send a PM

Like 0      
25 Oct 2016 5:52 PM by coedcoch Star rating in north wales(for now). 16 posts Send private message

thank you all for your advice/help etc....as the property we went to see has been sold we will take our time to study more....diolch yn fawr..

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Solicitor recommendation - 14 posts
HOW CAN I PAY ENDESA - 8 posts
Do you need business or trade finance? - 0 posts
Torrox Costa/Nerja and surrounding areas - 0 posts
Dual Nationality by Origin - 3 posts
Costa Luz Lawyers. Recommendation - 0 posts
ITV - 18 posts
Modelo 210 again - Murcia - 9 posts
Warning: Actions against Banks: not that easy - 16 posts
Warning: Actions against Banks: not that easy - 0 posts
home intercom - 0 posts
Insects in bathroom - 8 posts
tv repairs - 4 posts
Can I sue a Spanish lawyer in England if they have been neglectful? - 0 posts
Plus valia tax - 1 posts
can't use the UK work van please advise... - 8 posts
Genuine Business Opportunity - 0 posts
How do you contact the Moderators ? - 6 posts
Proxy Votes - 4 posts
Fuengirola Marina Mini Market - 0 posts
Touring Caravan for Sale - Nerja Area - 1 posts
La Llacuna / Villalonga / Valencia - 2 posts
Roof terrace design - Malaga -> Marbella - 1 posts
Travelling to UK with NON EU Wife - 5 posts
Eurona Telecom - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x