Diabetes type 1 - Insulin Depedent - Getting insulin & cost

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Sep 2016 9:36 AM by mikenellen Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi,

From next year we plan to move to Spain for 5 months of each year. My wife is type 1 diabetic & insulin dependent & she will be 58 next year. 

How can she get insulin in Spain & what will it cost? Is it correct that she has to get a SIP card? And is that one visit to a local doctor or monthly visits?

Thanks for any advice or help that you can offer.

Mike & Ellen

Like 0      
22 Sep 2016 10:01 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Hi

A SIP card is only available for residents.

If you are only visiting a country for less than 6 months in a year then your EHIC card will get you the emergency treatment you need. A script is classed as emergency!

Try ringing EHIC in Newcastle and they will let you know what you can and can not do on an EHIC. They will tell you how to ask at the doctor for your insulin and if you have to pay full price or a discounted price.

Don't forget to take out travel insurance for your stay.

Like 1      
22 Sep 2016 10:11 AM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

I believe that there is a.diabetes in spain web site

Good luck

Like 1      
22 Sep 2016 10:29 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Mike:    From next year we plan to move to Spain for 5 months of each year:   

If you come to Spain intending  to stay, or stay 3 months or more permanently, then you must register on the EU Citizens Register.  

In such a case you may find that the EHIC does not cover you as it is for visitors only.  You may need to check that out with DWP.

Also, I have known a couple of cases where the Tax Office has said that those registered on the EU Register are tax resident.  That is an argumentative point though, depending on which part of the rules you rely on,  but it might mean you will have to prove your situation.

PS     To clarify:    If you move to Spain as you said, which I do not think you mean, then you become resident immediately and must register on the EU Citizens Register.    

Like 1      
22 Sep 2016 11:15 AM by mikenellen Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks all for you advice.

I have just found 'Health Care in Spain' NHS web site which seems to say that we can use the EHIC provided that we get a "EU cross border prescription" from our doctor before we travel.

I have sent them the same question as in my original post, so I will see what then have to say when they reply (within 20 days!).

Thanks again

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Parcel service for sending small packets to UK - 8 posts
Satellite TV Costa Blanca South Area - 1 posts
Spanish credit cards - 8 posts
Applying for EU Citizen Registration (forms on line) - 0 posts
Modelo 210 - 8 posts
Tourism Licence - why is ENGLAND not on their list of countries - 6 posts
Mobility scooter - 3 posts
Community owner problem - 16 posts
Driving a foreign car to and in Spain - 6 posts
Healthcare clarification as a resident - 16 posts
Cancelling a direct debit - 8 posts
Childs safety gate - 3 posts
BMN bank - 7 posts
Electricity problem... - 17 posts
Car Company - 3 posts
Moving to Spain - 30 posts
House to buy - 16 posts
Renting in spain - 1 posts
buying at carver golf resort - 7 posts
Reducing the fly population in community gardens - 3 posts
Handyman needed to fit handle/lock assy to a metal gate - 3 posts
How do we get rid of \ control the flys in our community gardens near our pool - 4 posts
Air con units - 2 posts
Recording TV programs from a MAG250 box - 2 posts
Newspapers in spain - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x