Realistic time frame to sell property in Murcia to upgrade?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Aug 2016 5:05 PM by Sungoddess Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

Hi all,

My husband and I are looking and hoping to buy a 2 bed apartment on La Torre Gold Resort. We are thinking that "down the road" when we have more disposible income and can spend more time there we might  upgrade to a townhouse or villa. How easy woud it be for us to sell the 2 bed apartment and how long would a realistic time-frame be to allow for the apartment to be on the market?

Also, how have some of you gone about getting Spanish lessons to learn conversational Spanish in rder to become more a part of the local community?

Looking forward to all your positive and encuraging responses,

Sungoddess (Ireland)

Like 0      
14 Aug 2016 5:30 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Just be aware of the costs involved when buying and selling. On top of notary fees and other legal fees there will be estate agent fees and transfer taxes.

We looked into selling at €150,000 and buying one at €225,000. Fees for getting out and moving up would have been around €35,000. 

Rent first and then buy in the area you want and then buy your "upgraded" house straight away. The €35,000 is money you'll never get back.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2016 5:34 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

How long to sell a property is like asking how long is a piece of string.  There are so many variables, the type of property,  the price, the demand in that area, the exchange rate, Brexit, new rules imposed by the Spanish and Regional Governments,  etc.  So impossible to say anything which is any more than a guess.

As for learning Spanish.   From my experience of 30 years living here I can say that almost all Brits living on the Costa Del Sol, and probably all similar areas,  even after many years can do little more that order a coffee and a brandy, badly !     However, having a reasonable degree of fluency does improve one’s enjoyment of living here.

PS Mariedav's post was while I was writing mine.  It's good advice

This message was last edited by johnzx on 14/08/2016.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2016 7:42 PM by Sungoddess Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

Thank you both for your advice, it's much appreciated. I know something about all the fees that are involved in buying and selling property but not in spain. I have done some research and have identified some of the main taxes and fees involved in buying but have not researched selling yet. We do not have the necessary finances to purchase the "upgrade" now unfortunately. This would be our first step on the property ladder in spain and our finances will only allow us to purchase a 2 bed apartment on La Torre Golf Resort. I am a former bank official so I have worked out our finances carefully and that is the position. As we live in Ireland (south) we are not exposed to any currency fluctuations so that's one less concern. 

We have identified the resort we want (La Torre) and have also identified the specific blck of apartments we want. There are a couple of apartments in the block we want for sale. 1 is a bank repossession and it's priced substantially lower than another apartment in the same block that is not a bank repossession. Are the bank repo sales safe to go with? It really is an attractive price and we don't want it to be "too good to be true" if you now what I mean.

On the topic of learning Spanish, I have a little already. Better than ordering a drink anyway. I am lucky in that my "thing" is being able to learn languages easily. I speak 4 languages well plus 1 which is a bit patchy and then there's my "pigeon" Spanish (which I would love to improve). I agree wholeheartedly with John about learning the language making a difference to the enjoyment of ones experience.. My husband and I are looking to experience not just the sunshine but the overall Spanish culture and personality of the country which of course would include the language itself.

Anyway, thanks for reading my post and any tips and experiences you have are most welcome. By the way, I should have said that the area we are looking to buy is in the Murcia Region, South East Spain.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2016 8:05 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

We have been talking about learning Spanish on another thread.   Notes in Spanish, LIghtspeed Spanish, studyspanish.com all have lots of free materials.   

Like 1      
14 Aug 2016 11:35 PM by Sungoddess Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

Thanks Roly2, I have bought the Michel Thomas Total Spanish course on ebay this afternoon. Got it at a great price too. I'm looking forward to it arriving now..

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Double cream in spain - 4 posts
Planning move to murcia - 3 posts
finding a reasonable priced static caravan site - 1 posts
Repsol gas bottles - 9 posts
Research on the Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Spanish Lessons - 29 posts
Repairs to properties within a community - 25 posts
Agents fees on a rental - 1 posts
Gardener needed in the Santiago De La Ribera area - 2 posts
Utility bills - 5 posts
UK Bankruptcy effects in Spain - 4 posts
Bus timetables from Formentera del segura to Alicante - 2 posts
wanted animal shelter managers - 0 posts
Corvera claims - 1 posts
Closing bank account - 18 posts
to say hello - 2 posts
HOUSE SITTIG - 0 posts
confused - 10 posts
Jean Here.. - 0 posts
Sip Card Problem - 12 posts
Mobile phone provider in Murcia region - 3 posts
Road from Bilbao to Alicante - 5 posts
why do we have to have community rules when the chosen few will not follow them - 23 posts
NIE certificate period of validity. - 1 posts
One-off tenant in propoerty, is it worth it? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x