DoYouSpain Premium insurance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jul 2016 5:26 PM by CHORLEYLASS Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I am totally disgusted with #DoYouSpain #OKRentaCar and #Haloinsurance. One does not expect to pay for a Platinum Gold cover insurance and not be covered in case of a breakdown (in which case was a flat battery) To be charged €240 (R4600) for a tow truck to jumpstart the battery is ludicrous. Had I have known it was the battery and not the immobiliser (as was mentioned by #OKRentaCar) then I would have jumpstart the hired car myself. On telephoning on the day I was quoted €60 to send a tow truck which I believed was unreasonable due to advice given on purchasing a new battery for the immobiliser not making a difference. Besides which #OKRentaCar have been totally dishonest in the mileage used during the car hire period by completing a new invoice showing an incredibly high mileage.

DoYouSpain/Halo insurance will not cover this breakdown for reasons being "We have reviewed your claim and regret to advise that, on this occasion, we are unable to offer any financial assistance. Our policy excludes mechanical breakdown under General Exclusions section 17 of the policy wording. The policy wording can be found under the heading General Exclusions on page 6 as follows:

17) Wear and Tear.  Wear and tear, gradual deterioration, mechanical breakdown and derangement, insect or vermin, inherent vice. (WEAR AND TEAR ON A BRAND NEW VEHICLE)

The OK RENT A CAR staff offer their own insurance to all customers, regardless of whether they’ve already taken out insurance with another company or not.

Remember not to take the extra insurance offered by OK RENT A CAR at the local office – simply decline if they ask you to purchase it. You don’t need it because you’re already covered with ours. YET DOYOUSPAIN HAVE DECLINED MY CLAIM!   ADVICE ANYONE? THANK YOU.    

Like 0      
04 Jul 2016 5:44 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

I think that's strange. I was under the impression the car insurance policies in Spain all include a breakdown clause. Basically a telephone number on the policy that gets you a tow truck to a garage of your choice. I've used it on my policy and thought it was standard.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2016 6:05 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Looks like this is one of those car insurance policies that you bought so as not to have the extra car hire insurance the rental company ask's you to buy, is that correct?

Having been renting cars in Spain for years now I always buy the extra rental insurance, once I thought give it a go via what seems like you have done, so I did, got to the rental desk, told them what I had done and as suspected they didn't much like the idea, as this policy only cost me about £40.00 I wasn't to bothered so took out the extra rental insurance.

Do You Spain I use them every time, correct me if I am wrong the insurance policy you took out was not with them, it comes through a 3rd party company if you wish to call it that, Do You Spain only advertise the option to buy it......Anyway

Came back to the UK and mentioned to the insurance company that what they sold me wasn't fit for purpose, they refunded every penny back to me, no fuss or argument.

Just paid 168.18€ about £131.42 (1.2797 exchange rate) rental car extra insurance for 14 days rental, never had any problems when taking the car back, even when someone bashed in the rear bumper on one rental, stole the roof arial on another.

Might seem excessive costs to many but piece of mind has no price or value, many on here will now say they have never had any issues with buying a UK based insurance policy, me I prefer not to find out.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2016 6:31 PM by CHORLEYLASS Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I hired the vehicle online through DoYouSpain. Having never visited Majorca previously I thought this was a reputable company. Little did I realise that there are so many parties involved! The car hire was via OK Rent a Car and premium insurance via Halo/Chubb. The email received with the booking clearly stated not to opt for any additional insurance when collecting the vehicle as I was fully covered via the premium insurance taken though DoYouSpain and should I take any further insurance it would void the platinum policy which was purchased.

The day prior to leaving the vehcile would not open. I called OK Rent a Car and was told that the battery in the immobiliser was likely flat. I spent the whole afternoon looking for a battery only to find it made no difference. Upon calling the company again, they insisted on sending a tow truck telling me I had to return to their offices at the airport an hour and a half away. Bearing in mind I was due to leave the following day (Did I seriously want to spend my last day travelling for 3 hours) The mechanc managed to jump start the car. The following day €240 was deducted from my credit card!

In hindsight my advice would be not take insurance through DoYouSpain but though the car hire company when collecting your car.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2016 6:41 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

First of all the extra insurance you took out would not cover  brake downs  .this type of insurance is for when you damage the vehicle.

You should have got free brake down cover from the car hire company in the event of a mechanical brake down you will have a telephone number given to you that you should have called to come and fix the car.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2016 7:42 PM by CHORLEYLASS Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

It was the car hire company that billed me €240. I had no way of knowing that the Premium insurance taken when hiring the vehicle would not cover a breakdown. 

Ok Rent a Car are not a reputable company as I have since found out via the Internet. Not only was the breakdown fee extremely excessive, they invoiced me incorrect mileage from a car hire prior to mine showing I drove over 1100km when in fact my invoices show only just over 200km.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2016 7:48 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Hope you paid the £240 with a credit card, if so claim the money back via the credit card.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2016 12:55 AM by CHORLEYLASS Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Yes the amount was debited on my credit card. How would I be able to claim this back from the credit card?

Like 0      
05 Jul 2016 8:18 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Get in touch with the credit card company, claim the money back  and let their legal department sort it out .

This message was last edited by windtalker on 05/07/2016.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

terrestrial tv - 2 posts
New Regulations for Rental Properties - installation of air conditioning - 50 posts
The legal position of the Brexit Vote - 12 posts
Help! Spanish-German lawsuit on alimony - 9 posts
car parking at malaga airport - 2 posts
Murcia Property Services - 2 posts
Income tax. - 25 posts
Rental Query - 0 posts
Condado internal door for sale - 0 posts
Completion in Spain - 6 posts
Miles & Kilometres Volvo V40 - 8 posts
Planning permission for a small pool - 4 posts
Pets in rented property - 0 posts
Slow internet - 1 posts
transport for small dog needed - 9 posts
Brexit - Petition 2nd referendum - 33 posts
Property Values - 3 posts
Changing Euros For Pounds in Valencia - 4 posts
Townhouse near Malaga - 4 posts
Good mobile service provider for San Javier area - 0 posts
Paying Endesa bill - 3 posts
La tercia golf, worth buying? - 22 posts
Spanish Bank - Judgement of the Supreme Court - December 2015 - minimum exchange rate clause - 19 posts
Travel with cockatiels - 0 posts
Urgent Help Needed to find 'legal' builders to carry out property renovation!! - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x