Car Insurance Question

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Feb 2016 5:13 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

As I am sure most are aware car insurance in Spain covers the car for any driver with the permission of the owner etc.

A question has come up in relation to when the owner of a car (and the policy holder) has died can others still legally drive the deceased 's car and will the insurance still be valid?

My thoughts are that if the car / policy owner is deceased then the policy must be invalid. In the event of an accident who would make the claim etc. I know in UK some insurers give you 7 days grace but then you have to take out a new polciy - but this is Spain...

Will ownership (and insurance policy) automatically transfer to the deceased's next of kin - do they have to wait to get this ownership agreed / transferred via a valid will or other means if no will exists etc.

I think we may have discussed this before but I cant find the thread

Like 0      
13 Feb 2016 5:58 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Good question.

But as you say the policy holder must give permission for a person to drive  (I undersatnd that is written permission).. If they are dead not possible.   I beieve any permission already given would cease upon death.

With say a power of attorney (in Spain too) when the person dies the power of attorney ceases. 

Joint bank accounts cannot be operated when one party dies, other than I believe  standing orders may be still honoured.

I remember years ago  a lawyer in UK saying, if a partner dies the survivor should get down to the bank and draw out all the funds as the account would be frozen as soon as the bank knew.  Then they could  start crying.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2016 6:23 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

Worth asking the insurance company I am sure they have been asked this question many times before I understand some companies will give short time cover 

On your last paragraph Johnx this is exactly whatour lawyer here in Spain advised when we bought our propertyr

This message was last edited by scubamike on 13/02/2016.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

UCI Mortgage Debt Dilemma - 3 posts
Water supply to rural house - 8 posts
Longterm parking - 2 posts
Hello all - 7 posts
self-drive france to spain - 0 posts
Hi everyone, could do with some advice re:property rental - 4 posts
What does this mean? - 0 posts
Villa to rent on Camposol - 3 posts
Self drive - weight limits and police fining brits - 13 posts
Traffic Law in Spain - 21 posts
Letting in Andalucia, experience from elsewhere - 29 posts
Directive 2015/413/EU - 0 posts
UK car return to UK..tax MOT expired..what to do - 27 posts
la caixa bank charges - 6 posts
filling a swimming pool - 6 posts
Inspector home - 3 posts
Monte zenia - 3 posts
Quality of Photographs Advertising Properties for Sale in Spain. - 5 posts
claims on travel insurance - 9 posts
BREXIT - 7450 posts
2015 SPECIALIZED STUMPJUMPER EXPERT CARBON WORLD CUP - 0 posts
Renting - 7 posts
New law for private rentals in Andalucia - 110 posts
Questions for someone who lives in Corralejo, Fuerteventura. - 0 posts
Looking to buy in Hacienda del Alamo - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x