Retirees returning to UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Oct 2015 9:31 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

After 10 years friends are returning to UK. They are obviously overjoyed but wondering does it work or after the initial euforia is all as was hoped or are there regrets because, without doubt there will have been some dramatic changes.

We expats appear to enjoy a better social life, particularly in the evening because we feel safer walking about, than our retired Brit counterparts who tell me they stay indoors after dark. They do however have better shopping malls, lots of stately homes and museums and garden centres for lunch or browsing, to visit during the day. Something I do miss. But don't miss the nose to tail traffic though.

Any returned retirees willing to tell.

Like 1      
18 Oct 2015 12:37 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

I returned to england late last year after lving in spain

for 5 years.

No hassle to buy my property, got connected to all utilities ect

without loads of red tape, not getting ripped off by utility companies

either.

I have never regreted moving back here. lovely to be back with

family and friends,No need for  a translator anymore . Great go into my bank and not

have any hassle withdrawing my own money, less red tape.

and I even prefer the british weather. would never live in spain again.

This message was last edited by formentera costa on 18/10/2015.

coolyes

Like 4      
18 Oct 2015 6:37 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

That's good to know you are a happy returnee. Are there others....?

Perhaps I have to get to the unenviable stage of detesting living here or that my health becomes a major issue, not suggesting either was a reason for your return, FC, before I would consider going back. And even then am very concerned I would regret it because although I love England have been away toooooo long.

Like 1      
18 Oct 2015 7:44 PM by aliton Star rating. 331 posts Send private message

Having just sold our Spanish home in October this year we are delighted to have money in the bank in the UK. It was something we wanted do and not  a bad experiance. The best bits doing up an unloved house and turning it into one that sold very easily. The WORST bits (as said by poster) Red tape and more red tape, Bank Charges, and then the hangers on paracites who live off ex pat moving 1. currancy exchangers 2, estate agents 3 The Spanish governments .

If you purchase abroad expect to take "a hit" at least 6 times , Exchange rates twice, Estate agent x1 taxes twice you will also end up giving away lots of perfectly good furnishings etc etc. They legally even keep mony back in case you havnt paid utilities even when you can prove you have ...You will loose 30% of your investment . Be warned. My advise Best to  Rent.

This message was last edited by aliton on 18/10/2015.

Fomer member revisiting r.

Like 0      
19 Oct 2015 1:10 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

totally agree with everything aliton says. we have gone through everything he mentioned.

at the finish I hated being in spain.

coolyes

Like 0      
19 Oct 2015 2:32 PM by ChrisM4 Star rating in Berkshire. 33 posts Send private message

Something that interests me: I know from friends of the in laws that many came back for healthcare reasons.  I manage a large GP surgery in the UK, so know the stats about comparative healthcare systems, and Spain's is at least as highly ranked as the NHS.  

So - does it boil down to what people feel familiar with?  

Like 0      
19 Oct 2015 5:12 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Spanish health system is magnificent and from personal experience would say that it is better the UK. However  many expats who have been fortunate not to have been hospitalised here are scared because of the unknown.  Many of the doctors, in hospitals, speak excellent English.  

Local Gp's are very similar to those in UK. Appointments, although time limited  can be organised online and on the day requested.  Definately no waiting for days.

Children and the elderly are prioritised within the system as Spain expect those in work to use the numerous private clinics. 

Family members are expected to take care of the day to day needs of a patient when in hospital and provision is made for someone to stay 24hours.  This service is covered if patient has no-one available.

So, yes. Being familiar with a process and particularly the language does taken precedence.

Like 0      
19 Oct 2015 5:17 PM by aliton Star rating. 331 posts Send private message

We are fortunate enough to be in good health and for the three years with our spanish house and living on a large ex pat community we never needed the Spanish Health service . I can say all our neighbours, friends and people met on a casual basis , eveyrone without exception was full of praise for the treatment they received in Spain at hospitals and local doctors etc .  No worry on that scale and considering the ammount of aged british pulling on the service its a remarkable acheivement . I wonder if we brits would be so accommodating to syrian refugees? 

Like 0      
19 Oct 2015 5:59 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Aliton

No worry on that scale and considering the ammount of aged british pulling on the service its a remarkable achievement

Assuming by aged British you mean pensioners and therefore should be covered by the S1 form from the UK no real pull on the Spanish service more of a bonus in payments for the Spanish health service from the UK (when payments are made of course). The big pull on the Spanish health care system is the tax and social security cheats who live in Spain – same as the UK

Floella

Family members are expected to take care of the day to day needs of a patient when in hospital

I think this is a bit of the “old way”, recent experience (personally and friends) the staff at the hospital in Torrevieja did everything for the patient

As for going back to the UK – each to their own it is an individual choice and based on one’s own experience, preferences, situation etc.

Like 0      
19 Oct 2015 6:48 PM by aliton Star rating. 331 posts Send private message

Assuming by aged British you mean pensioners and therefore should be covered by the S1 form from the UK no real pull on the Spanish service more of a bonus in payments for the Spanish health service from the UK (when payments are made of course). "

I meant full timers who might not be covered by S1 payments....i.e  I they are full timers i would guess they are a drain on the Spanish health service.. the busiest shop on camposol is the chemist ?? 

Like 0      
19 Oct 2015 6:55 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Not in Hospitals in Murcia it hasn't where the Spanish cannot understand someone leaving a patient, particularly a close family member,  to be looked after by a stranger.  But, as I previously wrote, they will if no-one stays with the patient. Actually think it gives the patient confidence and recovery is quicker. Certainly has worked everytime in my husbands case.

But this has naught to do with my original question of asking retirees if returning to England,after many years away, had brought the happiness they hoped.

Like 0      
19 Oct 2015 7:01 PM by ChrisM4 Star rating in Berkshire. 33 posts Send private message

Drain is a reative term.  My surgery is in a very diverse town and a very large percentage of the patients are immigrants who have never paid into the system, because unlike some parts of Europe, you qualify for NHS care the second you have 'settled purpose'; i.e. anything that allows a stay of over six months.

No point being in the EU if one complains about 'these or those people draining our resources'.  The UK does more in this regard that most, based on the healthcare stats.

Incidentally, the Spanish are a large sub-section of our immigrant patient list.  Lovely people, and a lot politer than many entitlement merchants who have been here all their lives.

Like 1      
19 Oct 2015 10:51 PM by MFraser Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Yes, we returned to the UK after (luckily) selling our house in Spain...but here we are back in Spain, albeit temporarily. We bought again, in the UK, and will never give up having a place there, as we did when we moved to Spain full-time.  The UK property market has many more ups and downs than the Spanish property market but it is almost always easier to sell a property in the UK than it is in Spain.  Let's face it, there are fewer houses for sale in the UK than there are people wanting to buy them compared to the property market in Spain. However, the idea of moving our assets back to the UK was, for us, based partly on inheritence issues ie; it's much easier, and more financially beneficial, for our kids to inherit our hard-earned property and savings whilst they are located in the UK with us as residents there.  It's something that's become more important to us as we've reached our sixties.  I understand that not everyone will feel the same. Also, we felt a little insecure without a place in the UK, particularly as we watched the UK market recover at a far faster rate than that of Spain.  Indeed, the town we left in the UK several years ago has recovered to pre-crash prices already.  When we left it to live in Spain, we hadn't thought about returning to the UK but we did.  As mentioned by many on this site on previous occasions, I'd advise anyone with a place in the UK not to give it up when they move to Spain.  At the very least, keep a small place in the UK to remain current with market movements. Our Romanian friends in the UK agree with this sentiment and have kept a place in Romania even though they intend to stay in the UK. .As they say, 'You never know how you'll feel later in life!'. They both work in the UK and have never claimed benefits...and they learned to speak reasonable English before they arrived. (Yes, that is a hint, albeit tongue-in-cheek). But, we love Spain and we intend to spend our winters here....renting from one of the many, British, apartment owners with our thanks for letting us have the priviledge. And we love the UK, too, for all its many faults as-well-as its fantastic system of law, the brilliant local councils and the way it's so easy (most of the time) to deal with the utility Companies.  

Like 2      
20 Oct 2015 8:36 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Floella the hospital scenario is similar to anyone  choosing to go back to uk. In my hospital experience I seen a few nationalities all getting similar numbers of visitors but the staff did all the work from food bed changing cleaning and medication. Not had a visitor 24/7

As I said individual choice is the key point and to say all people of a particular nationality do the same is wrong in your case - not all Spanish do what you say

Like 0      
20 Oct 2015 11:20 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

When my husband was first hospitalised 7 years ago in Murcia, our Catalan  friend from Barcelona came with us. It was he who told us what was expected of us. Franco had initiated the special overnight sleeping chairs by every bed and these are defininately still well in use in  both the Murcian hospitals of Raphael Mendez and Arrixaca hospitals.  

Although as I previously mentioned staying overnight is a preferred option not a must but personally  think it a great idea that those who can stay do because nurses can do their job, which they do efficiently, whilst the visitor can do the menial tasks. Ie helping with ablutions to simply hand holding. Patients recover far quicker if there is someone on hand.

Can read nowhere that I have said that " all people of a particularly nationality do the same" as this would be a ridiculous comment.

Thx MFraser for your imput. Both countries have their pluses and minuses and it seems you have it sussed now.

Like 0      
20 Oct 2015 2:00 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Floella
My point about referring to a particular nationality was to your comment

the Spanish cannot understand someone leaving a patient,

" all people of a particularly nationality do the same"  Which is what your comment implies (and I was trying not to refer to "the Spanish")

Again individual choice, views and experience etc

Like 0      
20 Oct 2015 3:33 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Tadd 1966, my goodness is pedantic your middle name wink as It is obvious I don't know every Spanish person in Spain ( does anyone) !!!  my comment can only logically refer to the indigenous people that  I do know. Which I admit are only about 100 , ( most though live in Murcia ) , and they consider it most uncaring when they hear about a patient not having constant attention.

But regardless of whether or not you agree ...I care not....as this has absolutely nothing to do with my opening question.

Like 1      
20 Oct 2015 6:31 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Floella it is not about being pedantic, if you logically refer to the 100 people you know then you must have had an interesting conversation with every one of them wink - stereotyping is simply not the best way to get a point across

I agree we are drifting - many apologiessad

Like 0      
20 Oct 2015 9:33 PM by Sanders Star rating in Madrid. 5 posts Send private message

It is generally expected in Spain that an inpatient has a friend or relation to stay with them at all times to provide personal care. I have Spanish relatives in several provinces and that is the rule. It may be that a blind eye is turned to expats who do not comply with this expected behaviour, but it is the Spanish way. In my view it makes eminent sense. Nurses provide medical care, while the patient's carers help with personal care - eating, ablutions, passing mobile chargers and all the other assistance that the bed-bound require. Many Spanish families even bring home-cooked food. Visiting is generally allowed at all times. I think this is by far a better system for the patient and family alike. Contrast it with Britain, where visitors are confined to strict visiting hours, and the the patient is abandoned, having to call overworked nursing staff for any little thing, or big thing.

I speak from experience as my hubby was hospitalised numerous times for cancer treatment and surgery here.

Like 2      
21 Oct 2015 11:36 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Thx Sanders. Strangely enough was messenged by a Spanish friend who had to  cancel a meeting this evening because her mother is in hospital and wrote " sorry, but I have to stay with her" .  As you wrote..it is the Spanish way...

Another point....and very off topic.... Is that I was amazed when I heard that when someone dies the family will spend the night with them at the tanatorio as it is felt the deceased  shouldn't be alone. At dawn they go home and get ready for the funeral later that day. Honestly don't think many Brits could do that. Certainly not me.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Villa Wanted - 0 posts
Buying Corvera Golf Resort - 2 posts
Efforvesence salts on floor tile grout. - 1 posts
Malaga/near by - 0 posts
Transferring Euros from Spanish Bank Account to Uk - 17 posts
Moving to Spain - 1 posts
Upturn in Spanish property sales? - 269 posts
Disgusting Service from Dickmanns CS - 4 posts
Delpaso car hire - Malaga ..AVOID - 1 posts
Telefonica/Movistar - 1 posts
Hola! me nombre es Kane - British teacher needing advice on moving to Valencia - 5 posts
LOCAL RATES 2015 - PAYMENT ENFORCEMENT - 7 posts
How do you get in touch with moderators on this site - 5 posts
E-bike rental service - 1 posts
First time visiting El Saladillo near Mazarron - 4 posts
Hi,I'm,Fairygirl and I'm looking for a place to,rent for February and March next year in Gran Alacant, Alicante - 0 posts
Surcharges on debts - 3 posts
SPANISH EQUIVALENT OF RSPCA - 2 posts
Car and trailer query - 2 posts
Do we get the title dees? - 1 posts
Making a very simple will - 1 posts
Marbella rentals & occupancy - 4 posts
Gran Canaria. A new life? Dream or reality? - 4 posts
PRODUCTIVE PARTICIPATION IN THE ANDALUSIAN FORUM ON JUSTICE - 5 posts
Cancelling a life Insurance for mortgage protection after selling property - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 55

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x