chould someone tell me why spanish Minimum age for marriage is 16 years old?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Jun 2015 11:16 AM by YvetteDeng Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

working on my paper, so want to know the reason why spanish marriage age is 16? thx.

Like 0      
08 Jun 2015 11:40 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Yvette

Have a look at this page from The Guardian newspaper, up to date information, April this year. Seems they are only now changing the minimum age from 14

Like 0      
08 Jun 2015 1:53 PM by YvetteDeng Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

thanks a lot 

Like 0      
08 Jun 2015 5:02 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

Simple raelly it´s Spanish law, what is it in your country ¿ and reason being ¿probally same answer

Like 0      
08 Jun 2015 5:39 PM by YvetteDeng Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

government makes a law in light of a nation's conditions. it cannot only beacause sb says so and is so. so. therefore, i want to know the conditions or casuse.

Like 0      
10 Jun 2015 10:06 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Until quite recently in Spain the age for marriage, of course with parental consent, was 12 for a girl and 13 for a boy.

Of course, with parential consent,  marriage at the age of 16 is permitted in UK

Like 0      
10 Jun 2015 10:49 AM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

I don't think that ex-pats would necessarily know the causes and conditions as they are probably historic. Spain has just got around to bringing the law into the 21st century.

Like 0      
10 Jun 2015 3:52 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

There is no rhyme or reason can be found but this is Spain, so probally sat in goverment thought about it govermant voted all done and dusted, as this law has only just been changed in 11 years living here never heard any talk about it it just happens. Try the Goverment or a high ranking church person, Bishop etc, as GB45 said ex-pats probally don´t know, we are guests of this country and just follow thier laws, a small number of people (ex pats) arnt going to change the laws of Spain

Like 0      
11 Jun 2015 2:00 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

Maybe the law was made to accomodate the gitanos and related groups in whose culture very young (and often arranged) marriages are the norm.

Like 0      
11 Jun 2015 2:56 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Maybe the law was made to accomodate the gitanos (gypsies) and related groups in whose culture very young (and often arranged) marriages are the norm.

I was told by a Spanish Guardia Civil friend that was why when about 25 years ago the Spanish government tried to change the age of marriage (and sexual consent) from 12 for a girl,  13 for a boy, to 13 and 14 respectively,  it was defeated.

At that time, in the town where I lived, an English girl of 13 (pregnant) had married her Spanish boyfriend.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Garrucha files for banruptcy - 0 posts
Residents getting quotes for works in the community. - 2 posts
Failure by bank to pay gas bill direct debit - 1 posts
Toni Muldoon - 0 posts
Contiflo - 1 posts
Loan for a new property - 21 posts
Double bed with storage underneath - 0 posts
long term rental advice - 0 posts
The Greek crisis - 114 posts
delivery problems - 1 posts
English Channels in Spain - 7 posts
minimum savings to stay in Spain - 9 posts
Endesa - subsequent bills? - 4 posts
Property Tax - 2 posts
Are you moving to Spain? - 0 posts
UK TV Progrmmes - 8 posts
Olvera properties or alficasa? - 1 posts
Debt question relating to the management company - 5 posts
Surplus Books - 1 posts
AGM or lack of it. - 5 posts
Exact Change Kiosk at Malaga Airport: Avoid - 5 posts
Notice required for an EGM - 1 posts
Help - 2 posts
Clean up Fifa - 26 posts
end october- mid december rental sought - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x