help moving to spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 May 2015 10:34 PM by sue62rsh Star rating in Torrevieja . 15 posts Send private message

Hi we are moving to spain in july and are looking to rent short term until october when we will then rent for a year with more places to choose from, The question is do we fly out a  month before to view properties and then come back permanently with somewhere to move to or do we save money on flights back and forth and just stay in an apatment until we can find somewhere to rent which seems scarier to us but will save money on flights, Has anyone had experience in this 

Like 0      
08 May 2015 11:06 PM by randolph Star rating. 167 posts Send private message

hi,

Don't mean to be harsh but your question is far too too vague. 

You know your economical situation. You do the maths. Who are we to advice you on how to spend your money???

Like 2      
09 May 2015 10:19 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

I suppose what you are getting at is, how easy will it be to rent an apartment within your first couple of days here?  And that all depends on where.  But probably yes it'll be fine - there are thousands of empty flats everywhere (unfortunately for the country, fortunately for you!).  So, depending on the area, I'm sure you could stay a few nights in a holiday apartment, and find a long-term apartment really quickly.  

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
09 May 2015 10:33 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

How on earth are you going to arrange and view apartments if at least one of you doesn't get of you're but and buy a return flight the cost of a return flight is approximately £120 now that is hardley going to break the bank is it l don't know how you are going to support yourselves when you move over permanently but if it involves getting a job to do this then you should think twice about it l will leave the other ops on this forum to give you advice on getting a job.

Like 2      
09 May 2015 11:52 AM by tammydog Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

We have just been over for 10 days saw loads, too many houses we like. So going back to rent for 3 months before buying a home for good. It will be our only home as now retired do not want to live in 2 places.  And just for the record our flights were only £75 each that both ways. So just a total of £150 for two. Basically the cost of an average resturant meal for 4 people. So guess it's a no brainier?

Like 1      
09 May 2015 9:04 PM by sue62rsh Star rating in Torrevieja . 15 posts Send private message

All I was asking was is it feasible to move over permanently and then find somewhere to live or would I need to come over beforehand to secure somewhere, I obviously worded it wrong, the cost isnt an issue but i dont want to waste money on flights back and forth if its possible to move over and find somewhere fairly quickly. I also dont know the ins & outs of how long it takes to get an NIE so we  can secure somewhere and open accounts etc. As we are moving in july the rental opportunties are fewer and the flights more expensive. I just wanted some advice not sarcasm, thanks to those who have helped 

Like 1      
09 May 2015 10:32 PM by tammydog Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

Sorry I was trying to help to show how cheap flights can be. We also are going over around July as well. And yes it is expensive to go then.....agree. But I hope you did not thinki was being sarcastic? As that would be awful. Like you we are unsure? And we have spent 20 years planning. And lost our ten years ago and spent 4 years back and forth with the Spanish courts and lost a load of money. But still going in all guns loaded this time.   We wish you the best and hope you find what you want.

Like 0      
10 May 2015 9:40 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Could you not book a few days in an inexpensive hotel, via online bookings, in your area of choice while seeking rental properties of which, wherever you are in Spain, there will be plenty of properties available.

Like 0      
10 May 2015 5:50 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Tammydog, if you think £150 is average for 4 people you obviously have expensive tastes!

Like 1      
10 May 2015 7:48 PM by tammydog Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

Sorry but you don't live where do? That is a  mediocre resturant as well. WE do Weatherspoons but special occasions meals is normally around £50 per head...so that's £200 ..a lot more. And we're not talking posh. We live near Bournemouth Quite close to Harry Redknap.....But even in our local a three course with wine could be thirty five plus each. So that's why we're moving to Spain. Anyway that was not the point I was trying to help by saying flights can be cheap and might be worth going over on a break to look first. Thats all.

Like 0      
10 May 2015 9:07 PM by sandrab Star rating in Bournemouth & La Ter.... 528 posts Send private message

sandrab´s avatar

Tammydog - we live not to far from Harry too!  Dinner for 2 of us last night in Poole High Street after the boat show was £50  - but only a main, plus a shared pud, glass of wine and a soft drink - not an really expensive restaurant (close to Storm) but nice all the same.  If we go to a chain restaurant then obviously cost lower.  Yes, this area is expensive to eat out I would agree. Spain is a lot cheaper but really high class Spanish food is as expensive as here.

Sue62rsh - if you want some help and advice about your issues and a point in the right direction then do pm me - willing to give you some advice privately.  

Floella's advice was good .

We have just booked flights for June coming back 2nd week in July from Bournemouth - £185 for the 2 of us.  So not too bad.

Sandra

Luxury holidays in Murcia spain at 

www.rodagolfinspain.com 

Like 1      
10 May 2015 11:35 PM by tammydog Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

Ha!Ha! I think we might know each other? And actually truth be known I rarely eat out... Unless it's on deals at lunchtime or special occasions? But Banana Wharf do a good lunchtime deal in the week. 241. Well worth trying. And we're looking at going over in the summer to Spain to rent then buy. Having sold our UK house. Need to find a nice new home. But a little difficult for us as needs to be single storey due to mobility probs. And hubby doesn't want an apartment. So need to rent and then spend some looking first. Where about  are you in Spain. We were supposed to have moved to La Tercia years ago but site shut 2 days before we were moving over. Be nice to talk to someone local who has expertise of Spain.

Ps. We had a really nice meal in Pilar the last night end of April and that was about 50euros with wine and one pud.but was lovely.

Like 0      
11 May 2015 8:29 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

The last few posts are somewhat of track but still interesting to read about how much it cost to buy a good meal out in the UK I live in sth Wales in the UK and in every pub you go into you can get a good meal for two people for £10.00 and a pint of will cost you only £2.00 pubs like the Witherspoon's and Punch taverns are allover the UK l am sure you will have at least one of these well kept pubs in you area at the price quoted for to main meals for £10.00 I a sure you will be able to buy a pudding each instead of sharing one between two.
This message was last edited by windtalker on 11/05/2015.
This message was last edited by windtalker on 11/05/2015.

Like 2      
11 May 2015 10:02 AM by tammydog Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

Yes it has gone off track, but I have sent a couple of PMs to Sue and her to me. So it is still on track in a private way. Looks like we should move to Wales then lol? Although we have Punch I think we pay a bit more than that. But I don't go there as also I have to have Gluten free and they do not cater very well for me, sadly.  Hopefully Sue and I will get sorted and be happy when all is settled and sorted. But it is a minefield at the moment. All a bit scary as well as exciting!

Like 0      
11 May 2015 10:03 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

Back to the qustion!  You can rent without an NIE, but you will need proof of solvency - bring three recent bank statements that either show yo have regular income / pension, or that you have a significat lump sum.  I've just viewed dozens of flats right in Málaga's historic centre for some friends - there are SO many flats to rent!  Slightoy more expensive if you want short term (ie 3-6 months) but still plenty.  Try www.idealista.com

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 1      
12 May 2015 1:23 PM by sue62rsh Star rating in Torrevieja . 15 posts Send private message

Thanks for that. we have seen a lot of rentals in alicante centre but they all seem to be high rise with very little or no outside space but I dont think we can be too choosy moving in July. We will go over in June and take  a look at whats available then and if its not what we want long term we will just have to pay extra until sept/oct when hopefully more will be available. I don't want to sound too choosy but we will be living there for a year so do want to make the right chioice 

This message was last edited by sue62rsh on 12/05/2015.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Basic Spanish healthcare system - 3 posts
Help pls - 5 posts
Another one to Beware of - 1 posts
Another One To Watch Out For - 0 posts
UK Driving License - Discontinuance of the Counterpart - 31 posts
a good car insurer - 2 posts
Holiday rental, is it worth it. - 4 posts
Hello, is there anybody there..... - 7 posts
Rent a Car Lisbon - 0 posts
Wanted drummer - 0 posts
Iberian Lynx - 0 posts
Where do I buy white goods (Washing Machine) In Murcia Region? - 15 posts
brittany ferries guest codes - 1 posts
Lawyers fees for selling ... - 26 posts
moving in - 3 posts
Spanish lifestyle magazines? - 0 posts
School in Duquesa...? - 0 posts
School in Duquesa...? - 0 posts
Hi everyone... - 0 posts
Hi all - 0 posts
Dame noches in pots part shade - 4 posts
Ello - 0 posts
Bankruptcy - 2 posts
Art supply shops in Almeria province - 1 posts
Butano/Propano gas installation inspections - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x