Car hire at Alicante and Murcia

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Apr 2015 7:17 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

A lot of the "off site" companies have changed their policies on insurance and also increased their prices. An email from my agent has said:

"We like to keep you up-to-date with any news relating to car hire and you might have noticed in the past month or so all suppliers have made changes to their terms, mainly concerning insurance. They have all increased their excess, with small cars now having an excess of between €800 and €1000 Euros. Some suppliers have now stopped their free additional driver so make sure you look for the free additional driver sign which can be seen below

At Alicante Airport both Drivalia and Econorent still include a free additional driver. All suppliers will still honour their previous terms so if you have bookings with Dickmanns, Solmar and Goldcar that included a free additional driver and lower excesses then please don't worry this will still be in place. We understand car hire terms can be very confusing so if you need any information or help in working out the best deal please do not hesitate to contact me.

We are getting more and more suppliers adding stop sales (no cars available on certain dates) for the busy Easter period and we are urging customers to book your car hire as soon as possible as once they are sold out or have a shortage of cars for a certain date you will less choice of car at a higher rate!"

I have experience of these higher rates. Having booked a full/ full from Alicante, the "optional" insurance with Solmar is now 55€ minimum. If you don't have their insurance, it is a minimum 1000€ credit card deposit and you cannot have full/ full, only full/ empty. A tank of fuel for a Fiesta is 90€!!

More transparency needed in the hire car market....

On the subject of which, so now who do I choose as a rental company when I come to Murcia next month? I do I suck it and see with the new airport to Mojacar bus service?

Mark

Like 1      
06 Apr 2015 7:47 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I have always used Economy car hire at Alicante airport l fly back and fro every 6weeks throughout the year when l picked the car up in at the end of February l was charged £75.00 that was Pound's not Euro's for full tank of petrol in a car that takes a maximum of 43 ltrs work the maths out you're self when we got back to the UK we complained we did not get any reduction in price but we did get a 17 euro refund for the petrol we did not use l will not use Economy car hire again.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 06/04/2015.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2015 2:10 AM by DuncanMcG Star rating in Manchester, UK. 377 posts Send private message

DuncanMcG´s avatar

I got stung this weekend. Booked via DoYouSpain and took out their insurance. Got to the Dickmanns rental van at Murcia airport and was told I could only have full/full if I took their insurance @ €85. If I didn't, it was full/empty @ €82 euros for a three day hire! He also pointed at some other charges.

As it was after 9pm on a Friday evening, I stupidly took their insurance on top of the DoYouSpain insurance and had to pay around €15 to top up after the weekend.

These hidden charges are a real sting from the so called cheap car hire companies.

I have two more bookings via DoYouSpain this year but think I will look around a bit for future bookings rather than using DoYouSpain again.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2015 8:19 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you you hire cars on a regular basis you can take a independent car hire excess insurance out for around £50.00 that will cover you for 12 months.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2015 12:10 PM by broph Star rating. 147 posts Send private message

Most of the car hire desks will not accept the independent insurance policy and you are still left in dilemma of leaving your credit card deposit or coughing up the car hire company excess insurance.

I don't know how this rip off  ( scam ) is allowed to continue..

Regards

Like 1      
07 Apr 2015 1:10 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

You are aware that car hire companies in UK don't accept these insurance policies either? Which is correct as it is nothing to do with them. Last year I hired a car with Hertz in UK and declined the insurance as I have the annual policy and they put £250 on my credit card. This year I went through Enterprise and they put £400 on the card. Some companies will charge the full excess to your card so best to check how much that actually is.

You should normally not even see it as a charge on your credit card if you return the car before the payment date is due which can be 6 weeks or so after. You will see it on a debit card or prepayment card as it is taken off straight away.

If the car hire company keeps the deposit or charges more, you claim it back off your annual policy which covers car hire excess.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2015 1:16 PM by incar Star rating in N LONDON. 35 posts Send private message

We travel to Spain a fair bit and generally use do you Spain eventhough the last 3 times I have said never again, we as tourist are now open season for these rip off merchants excessive deposits, rip off fuel charges, fuelling fees? fake damage claims, service charges etc I could go on and on, and this really does start off your stay with a bad taste.

Car hire in Spain used to be relatively straight forward now they all seem to have jumped on the bandwagon and I can only see this getting worse, I myself would rather pay a little more knowing exactly what I will pay for from the start and not having all the goalposts changed once you arrive in Spain. Does anyone know of a company like this? Who will 100% guarantee the price and conditions from the start.

Regards mike

Like 1      
07 Apr 2015 1:53 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I fear the whole deacle will get worse during the summer, they need regulating, they are nothing better than thieves. A lot of the blame is down to the agencys like Do You and others 

Surely the multinationals can't behave like that - Sixt, Hertz, Alamo, Budget, Europcar  - Of course you will pay more, but will you in the long run!

Like 1      
07 Apr 2015 2:20 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

You are under no obligation to take the excess insurance out when you hire a car in Spain but if you decline the excess policy you will have the agreed amount taken from you're credit card this amount will be credited back in to you're account when you return the car provided you have not damaged the car if you have damaged the car the hire company will keep you're agreed amount to cover the damage if this happens to you you will then pass the whole scenario over to the excess car insurance company for them to sort out the excess will be paid back to you from the insurance company not the hire company.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 07/04/2015.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2015 2:20 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I use Do You Spain all the time, have done for years, the last time a short while ago the costs came to...

CC Fee 3.30€ ??

Fuel full to empty 56.66€

Service charge for getting fuel 18.70€

Company insurance 85.80€

V.A.T. 34.54€

Tot 199.00€

I rented a Fiat 500 3 door but got a new Corsa 5 door, rented it via the website 35.00€ for 13 days. About (Todays exchange rate) £170.50 = £13.00 a day.

A friend came over to the UK and rented a crappy Ford Focus 10 days £250, a Spanish friend rented at the Airport UK paid for a new Ford focus £500 14 days.

Like 0      
09 Apr 2015 9:33 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

The coloured font options seem to have gone, I need to do quotes in bold now sad

You are aware that car hire companies in UK don't accept these insurance policies either? Which is correct as it is nothing to do with them.

That's not a problem Bob as they pre authorise the amount. A lot of the companies in Spain physically take the amount from your card, then have to refund it to you.  Potentially detrimental to the renter in currency fluctuation.

You are under no obligation to take the excess insurance out when you hire a car in Spain 

Correct windtalker, but what some companies are now saying is that even if you have booked a full/ full hire, if you do not take their insurance you can only have full/ empty!!

I started using Solmar when Econorent stopped using Murcia, but may start using Alicante again instead of Murcia because apparently they only charge 6€ day for the insurance.

Mark

Like 0      
10 Apr 2015 9:52 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

It would be good to hear from some who have had the equivalent bought UK insurance to the Spanish car hire one to know if any damage or accidents did occur while having the rental car as to how did your own  bought UK insurance company dealt with it.

Fact is if you prang, or someone else prangs the rental car while in Spain and you have the extra rental  insurance, take the car back and tell them, nothing is said or done about it. 

But if you have your own rental insurance, you will / might have to lose the initial credit card payment, then any damage has to be paid for if it turns out to be your fault, or, lets say you don't know who hit the rental car, inform your insurance company, wait for the paperwork to come out,  fill out the claim forms with any necessary evidence, wait maybe more weeks to hear back, in the mean time probably have to pay something of the credit card bill, could go on for two / three months more, only then to be told..."That damaged part is not covered under this policy".

Maybe...Just maybe...Now the extra rental is not so much of a bad idea.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2015 9:52 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Sorry...Pressed once...Post duplicated??

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 10/04/2015.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2015 6:15 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

We use 'insurance4carhire.com', an annual contract costs £39.99. We were once charged for a missing rear wiper unit, which was spotted when we returned the car, I asked for a receipt which I sent to the insurer and was reimbursed without any problem. However if I found a large charge on my credit card statement weeks after returning to the UK, I would firstly inform the insurer, they would no doubt ask me to attempt to get the car hire firm to email me an invoice and reason for the charge, I would also keep my credit card company in the loop.  

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 2      
11 Apr 2015 10:00 PM by MikeandHelen Star rating. 193 posts Send private message

I have an annual policy from icarhireinsurance.com which is based in the UK.

Being a regulr traveller to Murcia I use Centuaro as a 'Gold Club member' having tried others but not off airport or in the car park companies. The queue for picking up the car is prioritised, points accrue and it means that I can get free car hire on one or two off peak trips. The have a Full/Full policy for gold card holders.

They used to waive the excess but now hold an amount on a credit card which I don't object to as I use the annual insurance policy (i do ask why they don't sell an annual policy to Gold car members...).

i did have a problem with a bizarre accident a couple of years ago with a faulty handbrake on a VW Touran, which rolled down a hill and seriously danmaged a parked car. This was handled with no fuss and no need to claim.

My nephew who lives in Valencia and travels alot has the worldwide annual policy which saved him over 400 dollars on a trip to the States a couple of years ago. He did have an accident which resulted in a claim whih was handled very efficiently by icarhire insurance and my nephew was very impressed with the service.

We were in the states last year and hired via Alamo. Their trick was to say that if the annual policy was used we did not have towing cover in event of a breakdown!

Mike.  

This message was last edited by MikeandHelen on 11/04/2015.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2015 9:26 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

Mike,

I don't even mention the annual policy to the car hire reps, it's nothing to do with them, I simply refuse to pay for their extra cover and listen to them tell me what an awful surprise could be awaiting me when my credit card statement arrives.

What we are insuring ourselves against is the bad practice of many of the car hire firms and their employees. Of course they will not be over the moon with customers who don't take out their outrageously expensive top up insurance, they are obviously targeted on their sales of this.

I always have a 'return with the same amount of fuel as when collected' deal, however I now insist on seeing the working fuel gauge after being told that the car was a quarter full when the fuel gauge warning light was on.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
13 Apr 2015 9:58 AM by richard4848uk Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

I got so fed up with all these problems with the car hire companies I ended up buying my own car & leaving it in Spain.

I worked it out that it was cheaper in the long run to buy my own car & park it at the airport.

Even with all the running costs on around 6 visits to Spain a year it is far cheaper than hiring a car.

It was all brought to a head about 4 years ago when the cheapest quote for 5 weeks hire in July / August was £1500.00 !!

Like 0      
13 Apr 2015 11:42 PM by TD5Clive Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi,  I just rented from RentAgain, picked up from ALC and returned to MJV, put back the fuel used only, 33 euros per day at Easter. Very friendly service. Their policy to cover excess was 35 euros, I think or they swipe a card for 350 euros. Great personal service. Would recommend. They are based in the Supermarket car park behind PaddysPoint in La Zenia.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

retired scottish couple with dog seek long term rental southern spain - 8 posts
accomadation - 0 posts
I have a question - 1 posts
Where to get tyres for a Ford Transit in Barcelona - 4 posts
Healthcare, How Would They Know? - 11 posts
Relocating to Spain - 18 posts
outside walls - 5 posts
Doors and windows - 4 posts
jobs in alicante area for qualified english native teacher with CELTA qualification - 8 posts
Moving to Spain in October - 2 posts
How long for property purchase to go through - 13 posts
Flights to San Javier - 5 posts
Driving docs - 19 posts
BBC TV Programme 31st March 2015 Shows How Tough Life is for Many Brits in Spain. - 50 posts
Corvera vs San Javier Airports - 2 posts
Mortgage lenders ordered to refund overpaid interest - 7 posts
UK banking - 13 posts
Brit couple found murdered in N.Spain - 1 posts
Buying an android to watch tv - 4 posts
Murcia today - 19 posts
Where can I buy - 6 posts
Looking for advice from anyone who got a 100%+ mortgage for a propert - 5 posts
New to the forum and looking for advice! - 12 posts
Iberosat HD 4700 - 0 posts
FINAL TAX WHEN LEAVING SPAIN - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x