Documents required by Estate Agents from overseas buyers

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Mar 2015 3:05 PM by mcelsay Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

We are in the process purchasing a property in Puerto Banus. Our estate agent has requested that we provide a TAX declaration or payslip for their internal records. Is this a legal requiremant??? Our lawyer has not requested a tax declaration or payslip so why should the estate agent??? I'd appreciate advice......

Like 0      
21 Mar 2015 3:15 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

It's the same in the UK, the agents ask for 'proof of funds', when to do so could mean them seeing very private documentation, just take your lawyer's advice, he/she is representing you, the agent is representing the vendor. 

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
21 Mar 2015 3:27 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

I can't see why the estate agent wants these documents unless they are helping to arrange a mortgage for you. In the two properties we have bought here we never gave anything like that to the agents. 

Like 1      
21 Mar 2015 4:41 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

When moving money around the rules are changing and to prove there is no money laundering activity you will have to provide everything from a bank statement to blood tests and xrays!!!

Sledgehammer to crack a nut comes to mind and yes once again Honest Joe and Janet Public are being persecuted due to the fiddling and corruption of the financial big boys (and girls)

Like 0      
21 Mar 2015 5:04 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

If you are making a cash offer for a property the agent may wish to see evidence that this is correct before he puts the offer to the seller 

Like 0      
21 Mar 2015 5:10 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

We are in the process purchasing a property in Puerto Banus. Our estate agent has requested that we provide a TAX declaration or payslip for their internal records. Is this a legal requiremant??? Our lawyer has not requested a tax declaration or payslip so why should the estate agent??? I'd appreciate advice......

My guess is, and it's really only a guess as i have never had this asked of me the way you have, although one did ask some years back if I had the funds available to purchase?  And if we did agree a deal could I put down a credit card deposit? done verbally only, perhaps they want some proof of earnings / money these days so they know they are dealing with buyers who are interested in really buying, and not just wanting to take a look  (Be nosy)  at the inside decor of houses,  imagine how many trips the agents must do to show folk houses and never get a sale due to the holiday dreamers.

As for their internal records, if they have two lookers on one house, you have shown them you have the funds, perhaps the others haven't, suppose it's feasible to hope the agent helps you a bit more because they know your money situation.

I wouldn't think it's a legal requirement though...But everything to do with money is now changing.

Like 0      
21 Mar 2015 5:28 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

An honest agent doing their best for their client will no doubt wish to know if the buyer is in a position to proceed. However giving them bank statements, share certificates, investment statements etc to photo copy is not a great idea, in the UK the buyers solicitor can ask for proof of funds and certify this for the vendor's solicitor, but the agents still ask. 

Like 0      
21 Mar 2015 10:58 PM by shakeel Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

All very well to protect their time. How many times the agent have properties that are not for sale, they do not have keys to the property, not turn up or turn up late or send a staff who is on another planet.

I have personally encountered the above despite of idtenifiying the property/ies, area's. The Agent knew very well that I was flying from London at my expense & time and could not care less.

No sympathy for Agents and I would not leave or allow them to make a copy of any of my personal documents. A professional agent can sniff a serious/time water buyer from miles. 

Like 1      
22 Mar 2015 8:24 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

shakeel, 

I can't disagree with anything that you have said, bearing your financial heart to complete strangers is asking for trouble. I wondered if there are any lawyers or police officers (current or retired) on the board, and what their thoughts on this are.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2015 8:46 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I agree 100% with Baz

I am sure there is nothing to say that an agent cannot ask for anything but I am equally sure that it is not a legal requirement.  If it were what would happen in a sale where is no agent or lawyer ?

The contract is between the buyer and the seller, made before a notary who's job is to ensure that the law is complied with

Like 0      
22 Mar 2015 9:27 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

johnzx.

I don't think that anyone considers it to be a legal requirement, but consider this.

When I was selling my late mother's bungalow the agent recommended an offer from a developer having seen proof of funds. However the buyer kept putting off completion, it transpires that he had shown the same proof of funds in respect of several properties and had failed to find a financial backer, some good proof of funds was. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

MAG254 IPTV box with WiFi - 2 posts
want to buy an apartment in Malaga capital - please advice - 3 posts
Moving to Spain pending the Brexit! - 8 posts
Inspection hamber on bathroom floor - 2 posts
Car regs for Spain - 5 posts
anyone know a free proxy for iplayer itv player that seems safe and OK - 5 posts
is there any "Real Ale" on te costa del sol? - 2 posts
Links - 1 posts
Job wanted_Sales, Administrative Manager or English-Russian interpreter - 0 posts
Bank Guarantees Abuse - 2 posts
Creating "Power of Attorney" in UK that will work in Spain - 2 posts
Documentation translation - 0 posts
public transport combined weekly bus/train ticket - 2 posts
Suggestions for Mortgage company for additional surveys - 1 posts
Modelo 720 illegal - 17 posts
Hi from not so bonny Scotland! - 4 posts
Santa Pola - 3 posts
eye on spain property site - 2 posts
Read this in A newspaper - 2 posts
Transferring a UK car onto Spanish plates - 8 posts
Buying a re-sale 20 year old property without Habilitation Licence - 10 posts
Obtaining Police Report from Police Station (Marbella) - 5 posts
castellon airport - 1 posts
Nie & and Social Number - 4 posts
Car insurance - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x