Hi from not so bonny Scotland!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Mar 2015 12:28 AM by MagicWriter2015 Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

hi, am new to the site and hoping to get some valuable information from folk who have already moved to Spain. I am a 59 year old lady with a 56 year old husband and we are seriously considering retiring to Spain for my health, I have Fibromyalgia and Hypothyroidism amongst other minor problems. Wow, am sounding like a wreck lol. We would be looking to retire to one of these residential park homes as we thought it would be easier moving to a ready made community who speak the same language as us. I am also considering doing a TEFL course to teach English as a foreign language. Would there be much need for this in areas like Antiquera and Mollina, the areas we are considering looking at. I thought it could be a way of earning a bit of extra cash as we would only have my hubby's RAF pension to live on until we became bona fide pensioners.What is the health care like? I realise because we are under pensionable age we would have to take out private insurance, but what sort of costs are involved and is the treatment good value for money. Would not want my health to go downhill because healthcare was not up to much. Well, there's a few questions to be going on with. Thank you in advance xx

Like 0      
16 Mar 2015 9:51 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

With the medical problems you have I would stay in bony Scotland as you will find out as you get more replies to you post that you will not qualify for long term care due to you and you're husband being under pensionable age so you would have to opt for private health care and as for teaching English to Spanish people l think you would have to be fully conversant in The Spanish language .

Like 0      
16 Mar 2015 10:58 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

The health care, once in the system is excellent, but you already know that you will have to have private insurance.   The teaching of English to Spanish people remains the one viable option for people looking to move over and work.  Go ahead and do the TEFL - even a basic level will get you into a private language school on a part time basis.   It is much more difficult to get into state schools, or to get a full time post, but you can start looking for local language schools once you decide where you want to be.  You don't need Spanish, but the language school next to me offers Spanish classes to its part time teachers from England, France and Germany.   

Like 0      
16 Mar 2015 2:29 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Magicwriter - after one year of being resident, with private health over , you can pay into the Spanish health system and receive free care as any Spanish national, for 60 euros per person per month

Although existing conditions are often not covered by Spanish health insurance, or at a higher premium, the conditions you mention are common and not too serious, so you might find cover won't be a problem

The medication for hypothyroidism is cheap over the counter

For fibromyalgia I assume you take anti inflammatories, also cheap

You will have to pay a '% of the prescription costs whether under private cover, or Spanish NHS.

No need to worry about the quality of healthcare as it's excellent , but if you are hospitalised and can't care for yourself, your relative will be expected to do all the personal care, which can be a strain if there is only the partner to help, unlike the Spanish who have all their extended family to call on.

Do other research on tax implications of moving to Spain, especially inheritance tax

Also research criteria for becoming a resident.

Make sure you have a financial cushion to fall back on, eg enough money to last for a year.

Like 0      
23 Mar 2015 12:49 AM by MagicWriter2015 Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Thanks for your information, will keep on researching, but not quite so worried now Campisol.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Santa Pola - 3 posts
eye on spain property site - 2 posts
Read this in A newspaper - 2 posts
Transferring a UK car onto Spanish plates - 8 posts
Buying a re-sale 20 year old property without Habilitation Licence - 10 posts
Obtaining Police Report from Police Station (Marbella) - 5 posts
castellon airport - 1 posts
Nie & and Social Number - 4 posts
Car insurance - 0 posts
Assets declaration, form 720 - 14 posts
Where to study Spanish and work part-time? - 1 posts
Building developers in administration - now what? - 10 posts
Castellon Airport - 2 posts
AIRPORT - 0 posts
are your mornings disturbed by building works again? - 0 posts
How can you try and work out which agent actually has the direct listing? - 15 posts
Exchange rate - 9 posts
Do you live here - 12 posts
Changes to IHT in Murcia? - 4 posts
jr - 0 posts
Cheltenham in spain - 0 posts
Assets worth more than you think! - 0 posts
Changing Community Statutes - 0 posts
Insuring a Spanish car not in my name please help - 23 posts
how to avoid spanish inheritance tax - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x