Things That I Like And Dislike About Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Mar 2015 6:39 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

I think you will find it was Hephaestus who picked someone else up on spelling - and not the other way around.

The OP did not so much say what he or she liked or disliked, but sort of drew a picture of an idyllic past.  I thought the response about life in the UK in the past was an interesting one, and not meant to give offence.   

I like living in Spain because I like the climate, the food, the generally more relaxed and family friendly approach to life. But I dislike the layers of bureacracy, though I don't find the UK particularly lacking in that. I think the best way to look at it is what does one prefer about living in the UK, or Spain?   Obviously, I prefer access to cinema and theatre in the UK (might be different in other parts of Spain).    But I prefer having a night out without picking my way through vomit and urine as I have often had to do in the UK these days in city centres, at night.   

Like 1      
04 Mar 2015 6:43 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

OK, I admit it, It was me who accused bobaol of spelling tapas incorrectly.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
04 Mar 2015 7:41 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

Hephaestus,

You seem to have a bit of an attitude problem. Did you start the thread with the intention of falling out with everyone or are you just really that highly strung?

I tried, not to pick up on your spelling or the fact that you've acted like a child throughout the thread, and reply to your original post, you know, staying on-topic and all. What you seemed to make more clear than anything is how everywhere is being spoilt by Brits watching Sky Sports and eating English/American food so therefore I assume you're not going to the 'Real Spain' at all. Not that I think you even know what the real Spain is. I did state that there are still thousands of places you could go to far away from foreign tourists and enjoy a real Spanish holiday but you clearly chose to ignore that and accuse me of 'fabricating' your thread. Which you know very well I didn't.

Like 1      
04 Mar 2015 7:46 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Like 1      
04 Mar 2015 7:47 PM by scambuster Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

Hey Roly2, can't dispute urine and vomit certainly in quite a lot of UK towns at night but have to say one has to pick their way through dog poop in Spanish towns and villages, even bling bling Marbella Lol

Like 0      
04 Mar 2015 7:50 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Yes agree.   And I am a dog owner (always pick up).   

Like 0      
04 Mar 2015 7:50 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

Fartharder, I agree, but I reckon you understate what Spain has to offer, but I guess it depends on choice.  We've taken to making trips to areas we've not visited previously, or recently and I still find Spain fascinating.

Recently we went down to CDS and the road system itself from Granada down to Marbella is a bit special.  You can stop off and see the Al Hambra and detour to ski at Sierra Nevada, where the views are breathtaking.

Seville was our previous trip, a beautiful city where the Flamenco was an experience, by far the most authentic.

We invariably stop at the local roadside cafes en route which are also an experience, but usually very cheap.

The hotel prices this time of year are also very reasonable and help to make these trips a bit special, a bit more more so than watching footy on Canal +, or whatever it is.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/4/2015 8:21:00 PM.

Like 1      
04 Mar 2015 7:58 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

Had I tried to stir up you lot, which I didn't, I couldn't have done a better job, now please get off my case ** EDITED - Against forum rules **

Edit due to a spelling mistake, after all I wouldn't want to offend the gang, would I?  

This message was last edited by Hephaestus on 04/03/2015.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/4/2015 8:22:00 PM.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2015 8:05 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

acer

Yes, Spain has so much to offer, every year on one of our weeks off work we make sure we go somewhere we haven't been before in Spain. We've covered a lot of the country but still got so much left to see. I remember camping in Granada in August a few years back. It was scorching hot and yet we were in the pool looking at the snow covered Sierra Nevada mountains. Beautiful! 

Like 2      
04 Mar 2015 8:48 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

Well guys, I'm just about to tune in the radio to my football club's game, so you can save your insults, abuse and lies until tomorrow. This of course only applies to the usual suspects, and not to the guys who have gone out of their way to give me their support, proving that it's not all darkness on this forum.

Like 0      
05 Mar 2015 12:09 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Calahonda, La Cala, Cabopino and Benalmadena could not be further from the real Spain! even if you go to Spanish bars/restaurants.

Our only inland trip will be to Benalmadena Pueblo

That's barely 3km from the coast!! hardly inland!

If you want to experience unchanged for decades Spain, go to somewhere like Guaro or Tollox, about a hour inland from the Costa del Sol.

Like 1      
05 Mar 2015 12:29 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

We had a marvellous outing to Polop, Peguera and Valle de Pop the other day. Right up in the mountains. Polop excellent and very Spanish. Peguera was a larger town but still as far from the Costas in lifestyle as you could imagine. Valle de Pop (or Jalon) very touristy with bodegas, antique shops and even a "Takeaway Fish n Chips" but still miles away from the Costa lifestyle. A few trips around the Madrid area also brings out the bit of Spain that is wonderful. It's not all Brits in pubs everywhere. But Spain is changing. All places do. I suppose you could still find a bit of Ye Olde England if you looked hard enough but it's mainly for tourists.

Sorry the reference to tappas appears to have skimmed over some heads. It wasn't the spelling but the lack of knowledge that Spanish has no double letters (LL is a letter by itself as is RR which pronounces the R twice and CC is KS). And, let's face it, even UK has a glut of tapas bars nowadays.

This message was last edited by bobaol on 05/03/2015.

Like 2      
05 Mar 2015 9:15 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

To who it may concern, you will note where I live, I experience some of most beautiful inland countryside in the UK, and that's my point, I couldn't live any further from the UK's coast if I tried. Whenever my wife and I go on holiday, either abroad or at home we opt for beach side, and don't see why we should apologise to the self appointed 'real Spain' aficionados for doing so.

Bobaol has done me a great service by accidentally prising the forum mafia out of the woodwork. It both shocks and amazes me how some folk manage to read a post, put two and two together, and end up with 47. The good thing is that they will all be as far away from the coast as their traditional little Spanish legs will carry them, leaving us the opportunity of meeting nice folk on or close to the beach. 

Like 1      
05 Mar 2015 4:05 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

No, I am on the coast too - I love it.   And like you, I avoid the Brit or Irish bars like the plague.   I would say that my favourite city in Spain is Madrid, and I also love the Andalucian mountains and the skiiing.   That is why I like Almeria so much, every thing is within relatively easy reach.    One of the things I like about Spain is that there is a lot of it that still values its own culture, so 'real Spain' is available to those who want it.   Nor incidentally was I worried about the number of ps in tapas, but you have to be careful about listing someone's perceived errors.   I can only repeat what I said at the start:   Don't take it personally - it is a forum.  People will express themselves.  

Like 1      
05 Mar 2015 4:44 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

This came to mind, when my son and his partner visit her sister and partner in Falmouth, they should actually stay in Truro in order to experience the 'real' Cornwall. I think that all this 'real' Spain being inland, is inverted snobbery enforced by some folks lack of funds.  

Like 1      
05 Mar 2015 5:20 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

Real Spain is almost everywhere in Spain. Madrid is real Spain, so too are València and Barçelona, and they're both on the coast. As are San Sebastian, Gijón and Santander. Inland 'Real Spain'? Anywhere you choose between Zaragoza and Sevilla. It's all real Spain because Spain is a large, diverse country. Real Spain isn't just simply a small village where old people dressed in black spend all morning going to the panadería for bread and then spend the afternoon playing dominoes in the bar de la plaza. I think if you find it hard to have a Spanish holiday in Spain, it could be because you know nothing about Spain or it's many cultures.

Like 2      
05 Mar 2015 6:03 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

I don't find it hard to have a holiday in Spain, hence me doing so for many years, perhaps putting 2 and 2 together and ending up with 47 shows a lack of judgement.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2015 1:27 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Fartharder, totally agree about the larger cities.  We've been to Madrid a few times now and it's like London in terms of the massive amount to see and do - plus of course the weather is a whole lot better and it's a fraction of the price.  But nothing beats Valencia, (if only they could sort the traffic problems).

Don't agree with the adverse comment on Benalmadena earlier by Team GB.  I don't know it that well, but there are some fabulous buildings there.  Yes they are largely modern, but personally I like looking at old buildings, not living in them.   The marina area is cleverly designed and looks a lively place to be.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2015 8:39 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

I think that towns and cities throughout the world, that have great cultural/historical heritages, have gone on from strength to strength. I can't speak for Spain, but the UK's towns and cities that are mainly constituted of 1960's rotting modern day relics, are dying on their feet. 

Like 0      
08 Mar 2015 10:35 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

That idea made me think of a concern, rather than a dislike Hephaestus.  I am rather concerned about the trend for out of town shopping malls in Spain, because I think it has contributed to the decay of many of the UK cities, many of which, as you point out, are dying.  

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Power shift with Iberdrola - 7 posts
calculation of capital gains tax - 2 posts
Sold up and still waiting for 3% Retention Tax - 5 posts
40,000 signatures collected for Palomares nuclear fall-out clean-up - 77 posts
Would you buy a property .......? - 4 posts
air lock in water heater! - 23 posts
Bank Transfers within Spain - How long does it take - 8 posts
Sewage Smell - 0 posts
community fees - 6 posts
Looking for an appartment to buy - 6 posts
NI Contributions after pensionable age. - 1 posts
Torrevieja Forum - now charging to join - 4 posts
Return from Spain to the UK and back to Spain e.g. circular migration - 0 posts
renew (not exchange) old uk paper licence in spain - 5 posts
Another 'Leisure Park'? - 1 posts
Death duty/Tax non residents - 8 posts
Brits can claim the dole money in Spain - 4 posts
Relocation Information - 0 posts
Threat of jail for using swimming pool - 5 posts
Inheritance - 1 posts
Payment of Fees to vote at AGM - 2 posts
Long Term Rental - 0 posts
Android tv box use in costa blanca - 37 posts
Obtaining my NIE in Murcia - 3 posts
iberia Flights Malaga - Madrid - Manchester - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 54

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x