Threat of jail for using swimming pool

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Feb 2015 2:35 PM by katetill Star rating in Mijas Golf, Costa De.... 6 posts Send private message

As our community has been slow to initiate the programme of work required by the town hall to meet the new regulations  for swimming pools a notice has appeared on our complex  threatening 6 to twelve months jail for anyone using the pool!! I can't believe that this could be legal. The fact that  we are only a small community with less than two dozen apartments, a third of which are unoccupied, and steps within the complex which makes the disabled access requirements to the pool totally unnecessary is another story but with a useless administrator who is taking forever to even begin trying to arrange what is required it means my summer visitors could be facing jail if the children have a splash around in our small pool.  Unbelievable.  Are they going to jail five year olds??   I know we aren't the only community in Mijas Costa who have had these notices.  Has anyone had any luck having the time to arrange the works extended or tested the legality of this threat?

Like 0      
25 Feb 2015 4:09 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

I don't know of anyone being jailed, but there have been community pools closed because they do not meet the standards.    It sounds as though this might be an option with your community - to self close the pool, just in case?

Like 0      
21 Mar 2015 11:24 AM by johnsonp Star rating in Costa del Sol. 5 posts Send private message

This is my understanding, garnered from my own Community, which is also in Mijas-Costa:

a) Regarding the requirements, apparently, the Mijas Town Hall has laid down higher requirements than those laid down by the State and by the Junta de Andalucía. In particular, they seem to be demanding the inclusion of a platform elevator which can lower wheelchairs into pools (WTF?!?!?!).

My own Community has a pool which is small enough to not require a lifeguard, but Mijas is still insisting on the elevator. At the moment, as far as I know, we are appealing to the Junta regarding Mijas' excessive requirements, who knows what result, if any, we'll get from that!

OTOH, our Community, and many others, seem to be waiting for the 22nd March Junta elections, followed by the May municipal elections, in the hope that, if the ruling parties change, then perhaps the requirements will change.

b) Regarding using the pool...again, I'm no lawyer, so I don't know anything about this "jail time" threat. Our Community has placed a tape around the pool area, but continues to maintain it (cleaning, chlorine treatment, water sampling) as if it's in use. They tell us (the owners), that it can be used but, if there is any accident in the pool, the Community's insurers will NOT take any responsibility in the matter, since the pool is "officially closed". Therefore, you enter the pool or not under your OWN responsibility, in the full knowledge that the pool is supposedly closed, and you will not be covered in the event of a mishap.

We tell our tenants this, and firmly place the responsibility on their shoulders. If they don't wish to take the responsibility on, then they may not enter the pool. I intend to get some sort of Disclaimer/Waiver document drawn up, and to make our tenants sign to the effect that they received this warning and they absolve us (as owners) and our Community of all responsibility.

Anyone up for helping with the drafting of this type of form, which we could then all share?

Like 0      
21 Mar 2015 11:12 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Am I reading this correctly, they are saying wheelchairs should be lowered into the pool? Then what, does the wheelchair stay in the pool or is it elevated back out when the occupant has been deposited in the water?

Poppyseed

Like 0      
21 Mar 2015 11:26 PM by joe1949 Star rating in Manchester. 61 posts Send private message

Most of the people using our Pool in Los Alcazares would appear very familiar with the inside of a jail...

Like 1      
22 Mar 2015 1:35 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

The disabled hoists I have seen have a fixed plastic chair that swings round and is lowered into the pool It would neither be practical or hygienic to lower an oily wheelchair with a foam seat into the water 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Inheritance - 1 posts
Payment of Fees to vote at AGM - 2 posts
Long Term Rental - 0 posts
Android tv box use in costa blanca - 37 posts
Obtaining my NIE in Murcia - 3 posts
iberia Flights Malaga - Madrid - Manchester - 3 posts
apprenticeships in catering - 2 posts
Squatters - 14 posts
The new forum for Almeria - 0 posts
Electricity Costs in Spain - 2 posts
Exchange rate - 3 posts
If i've paid for information - should my lawyer allow me to see it? - 10 posts
Sell in Spain - 22 posts
car hire Malaga airport with Europcar - 4 posts
Ex Pats are on a roll...... - 19 posts
Elderly care? - 5 posts
Pool Fence questions? - 0 posts
Stair lifts - 0 posts
Hello Almerimar, Almeria - 1 posts
Spanish Judge Violates Global Rule, Makes Bank President & Former IMF Chief Pay for Financial Crimes - 1 posts
How does that work then? - 4 posts
Viva Estates - 6 posts
Is 'now' the time to buy in Spain… is the wait finally over? - 88 posts
nissian micra for sale - 2 posts
Property Management Recommendations - Santiago De La Ribera/Lo Pagan Area - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x