More no news about Corvera and Paramount

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Nov 2014 10:52 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Sox

I posted earlier that Corvera is just over 30mins drive from Alicante airport.

If you look, I live 2 miles away from MJV so do not want to see it close for personal reasons but understand economical reasons.. Yes I agree that those of us in the 'south' would prefer an airport nearer us. The main clientele, at the moment, for MJV are either holidaymakers and/or owners. To increase the passenger footfall into the region will need business passengers. The problem is that at the moment and for the foreseeable future there is no call for 2 to 3 million business passengers per annum. I feel that if we had this number of business passengers then the area will not be so attractive for its present clientele so they will go elsewhere. Alicante is doing very well, thank you, by mainly catering for the lesiure passengers.

Personally I would like the status quo to remain, i.e. MJV to remain open and increase the number of flights not only in the winter but also a few more flights in the summer as we had 7 years ago. However it is not how good an airport is but how cheaply an airline can secure landing fees. It is totally up to the likes of Ryanair, easyJet et al to decide if they want to use a certain airport. They decide how many flights will come in and I assume they could not care less how good or bad the airport is or even how convenient it is for their cattle, sorry passengers, so long as they can cram all the passengers into their flights.

We all try and find an airport near our destination but do not live close to one back in the U.K. Friends who fly here over the Winter have to make a decision as to which end of their journey they wish to have 'the long drive'.

Like 1      
29 Nov 2014 2:29 PM by inspectahome Star rating. 43 posts Send private message

I am afraid to aay that ofetn it seems the case that people don;t wnat their local little airport to close because unfiortunately that's what San Javeir is, a great little airport but not really what is wanted for Murcia longterm

People just seem to talk down the area but there are a few things that shouldn't be ignored, the key one being the ability of Corvera to recieve much larger LONG HAUL flights and there is actually demand from some non-european airline to have an airport in this area

We have gone back in time now more than 2 years to when AENA were the favourites to take everyhing over and I would like to make a predicition,  based on the key thing in the Spanish way to life and that is to save face

• I predict that a joint management contract will be agreed where AENA and the current management company AEROMEUR will jointly manage the facility, allowing for a phased colsure of MJV
  • I predict that part of the agreement will be wrapped around the ownership where AENA get given part of the airport to compensate them for closing MJV and that the existing staff will move, if they wish to, to the new airport

The facts are that if as reported they go back to tender, given the promises that the current operators have been goven, that they wpulf immediatley go to court and thge whole process would get tied up for years

The facts are for the current airport management, even with the most recent announcements it is business as normnal as they are pushing hard to get the airport fully certifed for flights by the 16th December, more engineers arriving tomorrow

I thin that the Murcia Today article is good but it does draw a lot of unproved conclusions and opinons, based on information that they have collected from the various Spanish publications, rather than any directly gained interviews or quotes, from the new minister or the airport

Like 1      
29 Nov 2014 8:24 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

And you think quotes from local politicians or those paid by the local authorities are going to give more truthful reports than Murcia Today which has NEVER favoured one view or another but has reported the FACTS as they are currently known.

There are NO conclusions in it whatsoever, let alone few opinions,  other than highlighting the mess that surrounds local politicians and their assertions and changes of mind.

The whole process is an embarrassment for the  Murcian Authorities and the way they commit taxpayers funds.

Like 2      
04 Dec 2014 4:48 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

And now even more bad news for Corvera........... The approx. 80 workers at MJV are now refusing to transfer from a State employer ( MJV) to a private employer (Corvera). The reason is as a State employee they get pension rites and sickness benefits etc. etc. which will not be equal if from a private employer. They argue that a State school or a State hospital should not close so that a private one can open.  It is a very good arguement and some posters on here have been saying this for years. Unless AENA take over Corvera then the staff at MJV will not move. If however AENA take over Corvera they have 'indicated' that they will not pay Murcia region all of the €200 million debt that they have now been landed with. Because AENA do not need Corvera they are in a very good bargaining position so it looks like if AENA takes over Corvera then Murcia are saddled with some of the debt or someone else takes over and has to pay Murcia the €200 million plus the amount AENA wants to close MJV.  Even with a compromise it looks as if the tax payers of Murcia are going to lose out, big time. As everyone has said we can not have 2 airports in Murcia as there is not enough business for one let alone the two.

Like 3      
16 Dec 2014 9:04 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

For the many fans of San Javier aiport, now you can sign an online petition of support

www.change.org/p/gobierno-de-la-región-de-murcia-no-al-cierre-del-aeropuerto-de-murcia-san-javier-en-beneficio-del-aeropuerto-privado-de-corvera-murcia-goverment-do-not-close-murcia-san-javier-airport-to-benefit-corvera-private-airport

Like 0      
19 Dec 2014 8:54 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

there is no way Corvera is 30 minutes drive away from Alicante. You'd be lucky to do it in twice that (if you do 120 on the AP7)

Like 0      
19 Dec 2014 11:41 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Further confirmation of wasted taxpayers money?

http://murciatoday.com/corvera-and-san-javier-at-least-one-airport-too-many-in-the-costa-cálida_23989-a.html?Banner=13#.VJSmrYA4N8

Like 0      
20 Dec 2014 7:08 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

According to TomTom it is 46 mins. from Corvera airport to Alicante airport and we all know that one can easily arrive earlier than indicated on these satnavs.

Like 0      
20 Dec 2014 7:29 AM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

well TomTom is rubbish then. I've driven it 4 or 5 times.

Like 0      
20 Dec 2014 7:42 AM by howee Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Viamichelin states that from Corvera to Alicante airport is 94 km with 75 kms of motorway and will take 1 hr 12 mins.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Like 0      
20 Dec 2014 8:17 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Unfortunately viamichelin are using pictures dated 2007 so there is no airport or RM16 and RM17. If one looks at tomtom they actually have the airport and 'motorways' on their map. Anyhow what is the big deal if Corvera airport to Alicante airport is 30 minutes, 46 minutes or 1 hour 10 minutes. As stated earlier look at the so called 4 London airports which are even further (in time) from London, Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton and Stansted. I do not think that any of them are within 1 hour actual DRIVING time, allowing for traffic, of central London yet nobody complains.

Like 0      
20 Dec 2014 9:34 AM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Hugh_man's post say's it all! The contents reflect exactly what the realists who have contributed to this post have already said. Spain's leaders are an arrogant self-serving bunch who know better than the rest of Europe how to run a country.......... obviously.

Every few weeks over the last 10 years a new grandoise scheme is announced somewhere on the Costas, theme parks and luxury developments amongst the favourite and as usual nothing happens after investing millions of € of tax-payers money on 'preparations'. 

Either way we will be left without an airport in Murcia because even if St. Javier closes, Covera couldn't survive on current footfall in Murcia, and if both are open for business, neither can survive on under half a million passengers per annum.

Income is the life-blood of all business and without it any enterprise is doomed.

Like 1      
20 Dec 2014 10:56 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

"Either way we will be left without an airport in Murcia because even if St. Javier closes, Covera couldn't survive on current footfall in Murcia, and if both are open for business, neither can survive on under half a million passengers per annum.

Income is the life-blood of all business and without it any enterprise is doomed."

The one bit of common sense in the whole saga that everyone else seems to ignore!!

Hooray for Woodbug!!

Steve

Steve.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Lawyers - 0 posts
where to buy (Costa Maresme/Brava) - 2 posts
thinking of buying hotel room - 16 posts
What is the average pct for foreigners for new property - 4 posts
NIE Numbers not registered with tax office??? - 0 posts
Tryng To Find Marc Koehler - 0 posts
language - 3 posts
Menara Beach Complex - 2 posts
SIP card and free health care wewe - 4 posts
Pyrenees in the winter - 1 posts
Pay as you go internet in Spain - 4 posts
UK Self Assessment Tax Return - 6 posts
Liverpool to Malaga Flights - 5 posts
Form 210 - instruct bank to pay from current account - 0 posts
tile or not - 8 posts
property in almoradi - 6 posts
Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System - wasting water - 1 posts
Seats on monarch - 2 posts
Increased water prices Hidralia - 5 posts
skip hire close to los alcazares - 1 posts
Advice on residency requirements before applying. - 2 posts
Firewood - 0 posts
Damp and Condensation- air bricks and damp proof course - 6 posts
Hi We are UK Family Mark & Kazz & kids - 4 posts
Questions about moving to Gibraltar - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 53

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x