Confused.com devious, or just plain ignorant?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Jul 2014 2:47 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I read in the Ex pat press in an article by a financial firm ,that when Ex pats do not pay their income taxetc in Spain, it is be caused they are confused,poor souls . Apparently,they don't know the difference between resident and nonresident  tax, and how to pay.

that argument won't wash!

there has never been so much info as there is now, free newspapers, radio, online advice, seminars held by financial advisors, so no one should be ignorant as to their tax obligations.

if anyone doesn't know it's because they don't want to know, and they hope the Hacienda hasn't got the time and resources to find out about their tax evasion.

Like 2      
19 Jul 2014 3:40 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

19 Jul 2014 5:01 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Yes and mugs like us are subsidising them!

Like 1      
20 Jul 2014 10:52 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I agree - except that there is so much incorrect information bandied about by the so called experts also. And on top of that, you have incompetent or simply corrupt government officials to throw into the equation. Have a read of Antonio Flores' column in this weeks' EWN. 

It's true that many foreign property owners are blissfully unaware of the non-resident tax. Yes, they should make themselves aware, but if their legal representative at the time of buying didn't tell them, it's hardly surprising. Not everyone bothers to read the expat press, or join forums like this. Many people buy property in Spain for holidays only, and the only thing they're interested in is what the weather will be like when they get here. Understandably, these people also don't bother to learn the language.

Ignorance may be no excuse, but on the other hand, incompetence on the govt's part shouldn't be an excuse for not collecting taxes either. It's pretty obvious that non-Spanish speaking holiday home owners (of which there are a significant number) may not be fully conversant with Spanish tax systems. It would be very simple to get town halls to collect the non-resident tax automatically when claiming the annual IBI, then forward it onto the central govt. If there's a system in place already that works, why not capitalise on it? Forget confusing "modelos" (210) and so forth, never mind that some people may have actual rental income to declare whilst others don't - just go with the imputed tax for everyone. Some owners will get away with less tax on real income (just like the modular system for small businesses), but the extra take from all the owners that have never filed a 210 would easily make up for it. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
20 Jul 2014 12:35 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

One way of making sure residents know about tax is to give everyone signing on the EU foreign citizens register a form they have to  fill in and sign, informing them of their tax obligations set out by the hacienda, in various languages.this form would then be sent to the Hacienda and details entered on their data base, making it easy for them to check if yearly declarations are made.Too simple?

When non residents buy a property, it should be compulsory for their solicitor or estate agent to again ensure that they sign that they have received a form, stating their tax obligations.

that way there can be no protestation of ignorance.

whether resident or non resident, whereas their first priority may be nice weather and a less stressful life( yeah, right!), they must be made to realise that if they want to live in Spain or have a property there, they have a responsibility to comply with the tax regulations of the country they have chosen.

Like 0      
20 Jul 2014 12:42 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Camposol for Pesident! yes

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
20 Jul 2014 12:53 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

One way of making sure residents know about tax is to give everyone signing on the EU foreign citizens register a form they have to  fill in and sign, informing them of their tax obligations set out by the hacienda, in various languages.this form would then be sent to the Hacienda and details entered on their data base, making it easy for them to check if yearly declarations are made.Too simple?

How's this going to sort out the far bigger issue of getting the Spanish to pay the tax they're supposed to be paying?  In the grand scheme of things, the expat/holiday home owner side of things is minor.  I don't know why you get so worked up about it.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 1      
20 Jul 2014 1:01 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I agree there needs to be a scheme for the a Spanish too, perhaps it would pay to have a dedicated team applied to this.

worked up about it? So should any decent,honest person be! 

Your blasé attitude is not one to be admired!

Like 0      
24 Jul 2014 11:45 AM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Camposol    I agree there needs to be a scheme for the Spanish too

There is one (which also applies to everyone else too) it called the law, unfortunately Hacienda do not enforce it.

Good Post Roberto.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2014 10:54 AM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Why do the Brits get their knickers in a twist over minor issues here? The fact is that the Govermnet is incompetent and the legislation they approve is mainly flawed. Regional rules conflict with national laws and the whole national legal system is a shambles. Local authorities are careless, corrupt and incapable, so let them sort out their own problems.

The idea of even more paperwork to sign is not good, don't you think we do enough queuing for the 'rubber stamp' already? We all know that one extra form to complete will breed several more in the fileing cabinet and therefore, more make-work clerks will have to be appointed to share the rubber stamp.

. Let's be more like our Spanish friends and worry about these things if and when they happen.

Like 1      
26 Jul 2014 12:07 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

It's NOT a minor issue, it's a very major issue.

I despair of this attitude.

It's why Spain and Greece are in such a mess.

So, let's be more like our Spanish friends, black money, tax avoidance, yeah right

let the law abiding, tax paying mugs continue to do what is right  while our Spanish friends and expats do what they like .

What a country !

Like 1      
26 Jul 2014 12:56 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Camposol, agree with what you previously wrote but reading about all the benefit frauds in UK , that are only sorted when Joe public report them, think all Governments and their employees need a BIG shake up.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2014 1:11 PM by sox Star rating. 81 posts Send private message

Camposol, 

What a country!

Why do you live here?

Perhaps  I am also in the minority, I think I am law

abiding and keep up to date and absolutely

love living here and enjoy it 24/7, I want to relax 

and enjoy old age not worrying.

Like 2      
26 Jul 2014 5:32 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

You may be able to ignore it, stick your head in the sand, but some of us can't and don't want to tolerate  and accept it, and why should we? We are the ones subsidising these corrupt individuals.

it's a glib thing to say if you don't like it etc.......

If it were as easy as just packing a suitcase, but unfortunately there's a bit more to leaving Spain !

Spain has to change, or it will sink lower and lower into the mire.

Like 1      
27 Jul 2014 11:31 AM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Let’s put this in perspective – a few Brits dodging the taxman, it used to be a national past-time in UK. Consider the Spanish ‘black economy’ with 26% of the population unemployed the black is running at 253bn – yes 253 billion euro a year, which is 24.6% of Spain’s GDP.

95% of Spaniards voted to say that they considered the governmental system in Spain is corrupt – so how can leaders who are openly ‘at it’ expect the hoi polloi to be any different. 'Lead by example' is the term I believe, so that’s exactly what they are doing!

As for inventing systems to bring these miscreants to book or dobbing them in to the Gestapo – I am not remotely interested. I enjoy my life here and I will never have today again so I live life to the full whilst I still can. So, a few Brits fiddling a couple of bob here and there doesn’t get a second thought.

Lighten up and enjoy Spain for what it is -not for what you want it to be

Like 1      
27 Jul 2014 11:42 AM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

It is NOT  a few expats dodging the taxman,it is a lot of Brits and other nationalities, and if you are happy to tolerate it, more fool you, as,  if you are paying your taxes out here you are helping these criminals, yes criminals, to live the lifestyle they don't deserve.

why is the Spanish taxman continually thinking of ways  to wring money out the population? Because many of them are dodging taxes, and letting others take the brunt.

Using the fact that  apparently 95% of Spaniards think the government is corrupt is a poor and weak excuse for not wanting these lowlife bought to justice.

it is because of attitudes like yours that Spain is like it is.we are not all lemmings!

Like 0      
27 Jul 2014 11:53 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

If what you say is true Camposol then the only way to bring these folks to justice is for someone to report them. 

All "obeying the rules"  folk do get annoyed about but it is action not pontificating that is needed.

Until I am prepared to do so I will moan about these " criminals" to my other half and not on forums

Like 0      
27 Jul 2014 12:02 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

OK Camps, lets agree to differ.

You carry on worrying and moaning about ' ex-pat criminals' fiddling a few quid when a corrupt and incompetent govenment has brought Spain to it's knees. - and I will continue to enjoy my stress free life-style.

Like 0      
27 Jul 2014 12:07 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

It is not for your average expat to report people. They may know their neighbour is not declaring his income, indeed  the offender may even proclaim this to all and sundry, but in order to report someone detailed info is needed.

What should happen is that the Hacienda should  be more proactive, have a list of all those on the EU citizens register and check they are all making declarations.

like vermin, offenders should be flushed out!

Apparently they check electricity bills- does this work?

.Surely everyone receiving free health care must be a resident so perhaps a list of those on the Spanish health system would help in the case of expat state pensioners.

to be sure, moaning to your other half won 't help at all!

Like 0      
27 Jul 2014 12:35 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Camposol, there are millions of people in the world and mearly thousands investing various frauds. Consequently most fraudsters will only get caught if someone names them or they get caught via another violation.

Even if a register was made can you imagine how long it would take to check up on everyone. Years. Probably decades the way the Spanish system works.

Plus you are totally wrong about needing info to report someone. All that is required is a name and address. Takes about 18 months for investigations to start ( so no worries about fingers pointing at the accuser ) .and will carry on intermittently for  as long as it takes.

True, moaning to other half won't help but then it is better than moaning to all and sundry and still doing nothing.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Ship a car to Murcia - 16 posts
information - 9 posts
Claiming against Banks - 9 posts
Fancy buying a bar anyone ? - 5 posts
Taking Cat inside plane, to UK from Spain - 6 posts
Estate recommendation Playa Flamenca /Torreviejca area - 1 posts
L D Lines - 0 posts
Sky planner - 7 posts
Divorce and Spanish property - 12 posts
Return to Sender - 5 posts
The "shell suit" trash tourists have started to arrive!!!!!!!!! - 29 posts
Decision Made - Planning to Move to Spain - 15 posts
Yamaha 75 HP 4-Stroke Outboard Motor Engine - 0 posts
Excursions Business Query - 2 posts
Fire risk - 0 posts
Using your EHIC in Spain - 0 posts
Website Maintenance - 3 posts
RAE 300 yrs and counting - 0 posts
moving to spain - 1 posts
Spanish customs? - 9 posts
Replacement for EHIC in Spain - 1 posts
Spain's latest scandal … Discovered by Gotham - 0 posts
Letting Agents Fined for illegal lets - 0 posts
Monthly phone internet access - 3 posts
noisey neighbours - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x