Wills and Inheritance Tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Mar 2014 11:12 AM by ohlson Star rating in La Marina. 8 posts Send private message

I would be interested to know if any other couple who live here in Spain that are not actually married are having any problems with reference to the subject of Inheritance Tax if one of you dies?

It looks like that if you are not married and are just living together, irrespective of how many years you have lived together, that the surviving partner would have to pay Tax of approx half the value of the joint property plus joint assets. This, of course, only applies to people who are actually Resident here in Spain.

Has anybody had any experience of this please in getting round it? We live in the Alicante area.

Like 0      
21 Mar 2014 11:53 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I believe you should register (with town hall / regional authority?) as a 'couple'.  That way your partner will be treated as your 'spouse' when you die.

I knew a couple of guys who had been together for over 30 years. When one fell ill the other was denied info at the hospital as he was not ‘next of kin.’  They registered as a same sex couple and resolved the problem.

Like 1      
22 Mar 2014 2:43 PM by arago Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

When you refer to registering as a couple, presumably you mean as a paraja de hecho (equivalent to common law husband & wife).  The advice we were given by a gestora in the Communidad Valenciana was that this would not solve the problem of inheritance tax in the case of a hetrosexual couple.  They will always be treated as 'strangers', in legal terms, if one dies, and the survivor will have a large inheritance tax bill.  We were told the only way round it is marriage!

Like 1      
22 Mar 2014 4:46 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

Me and my partner Stu are returning to the UK to get married in June 

Like 2      
22 Mar 2014 11:10 PM by aliton Star rating. 331 posts Send private message

We are going to Spain in a few days and have been advised that we ( married couple ) only need to complete a Spanish Will.... signed at the Notary which will cover "All our Spanish Assets" and that will cover us legally for our holiday property for the future if anything happens to either of us . Is that good advise or questionable. We are non resident .

Fomer member revisiting r.

Like 0      
23 Mar 2014 8:14 AM by KathysLad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

"When you refer to registering as a couple, presumably you mean as a paraja de hecho (equivalent to common law husband & wife).  The advice we were given by a gestora in the Communidad Valenciana was that this would not solve the problem of inheritance tax in the case of a hetrosexual couple.  They will always be treated as 'strangers', in legal terms, if one dies, and the survivor will have a large inheritance tax bill.  We were told the only way round it is marriage"

Thats correct with regard to Valencia. The IHT laws are quite specific that they relate only to the Spouse (and others). In Andalucia however, there is an additional clause specifically defining  partners registered on "el 
Registro de Parejas de Hecho" as a Spouse.

Like 1      
23 Mar 2014 2:10 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

aliton -yes, a will will cover who you want to leave your assets to, but you will still be liable for IHT on your assets in Spain if your husband/wife dies. Sorry if you already know this, but I have met people who think that making a will miraculously  negates the need to pay IHT!

Like 1      
24 Mar 2014 1:36 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

http://murciatoday.com/27th-march-abaco-tax-tea-and-travel-in-mazarr%C3%B3n_20556-a.html

Road show in Mazarron re this topic and taxes.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2014 2:48 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

It'll be the same old stuff that you can get online;it'll probably promote investing the prperty in a UK company etc!

Like 0      
24 Mar 2014 2:53 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

I agree with you however friends of mine are going to see what it is about. So will be interesting to know if we are right.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2014 5:10 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

An explanation:

issuu.com/mariadecastro/docs/spanish_wills_and_inheritance_tax_r_?e=0/6654714

Please let me know if you have got questions!

Maria

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 24/03/2014.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
24 Mar 2014 5:40 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Maria can this link be done so that we can just click on it please?

Like 0      
24 Mar 2014 5:47 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Campo,

I am sure you know how to, but just in case.

Put your curser over the web address, left click mouse and drag the curser over the address, to highlight it. Put curser over the highlight and right click, press copy. Go to your browser put the curser in the search box,  right click mouse and click paste. Then search.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2014 5:57 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Very tactful of you Johnzx- I didn't know how to do it on an ipad! However I managed it only to find that the search resulted in" your search did not match any documents"

Like 0      
24 Mar 2014 6:01 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

On ipad, just rest you finger lightly over the link and up comes a " blue" copy or decline line.
Expand the blue line to what you want to copy. Click copy and paste in search engine.
Must admit it is not as easy as on a PC until one gets used to it.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Electrical fixed charges increased from 36% to 65%. - 13 posts
Shop/Wholesalers Dolores - 0 posts
Inheritance tax advice for residents - 39 posts
Hotel Type Key switch - 5 posts
Caser Seguros - 2 posts
Mailbox - 1 posts
Electric Meters - Coin Operated - 6 posts
Collecting Visitors at MV - 9 posts
What do you cook when in Spain? - 4 posts
Torrevieja Sea Front - no looky looky men - 18 posts
filmon - 4 posts
La Zenia to Portaventura - 0 posts
Mal Prosser - 0 posts
Letter of ??? - 2 posts
Really I am getting Fed up - 8 posts
Habitation Certificate - 13 posts
Residency requirements in Spain - 15 posts
Regular IBI Bills? - 5 posts
Astra 28 degrees frequency updates - changes to ITV 4+1 - 0 posts
Car dealers - 4 posts
IHT does this work - 3 posts
Taxi's - 0 posts
EHIC Rights- Useful information for family members coming to visit - 0 posts
Questionnaire - 0 posts
If I knew then what I know now! - 26 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x