Spanish Climate

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Feb 2014 12:40 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

That's not fair johnzx - and Marie, you do not have to justify yourself on here.   Just continue to enjoy your life.  

Like 1      
14 Feb 2014 12:49 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Roly as I am in the same situation as Marie  (gov pension and OAP) how can what I said be unfair ?

My view is that if everyone in UK gets the WFA, then (as the DWP now agree)  everyone, everywhere should get it

This message was last edited by johnzx on 14/02/2014.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2014 1:18 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

You see, johnzx, that's the big difference. I actually paid my dues for the state pension. NI contributions for over 40 years. I also paid into my NHS pension I haven't, however, paid into a mythical cold weather payment fund.
I don't begrudge Richard Branson or Lord Sugar their OAPs. I do begrudge them their WFP as it becomes a joke.

Like 2      
14 Feb 2014 1:43 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Marie;   I haven't, however, paid into a mythical cold weather payment fund

Nobody has paid into such a fund, as no such fund has ever existed.   So what's the difference between one group who have not paid and another group who have not paid ?    If one lot get it so should everybody.  

Albeit, that my view is that no one should get it.

If people need hand outs from the state, paid for by people like you and me in our contributions over the years and our UK tax now, then it should be called what it is 'charity payments.'

The problem now is that I am sure the Government would like to scrub the WFA but dare not because the opposition would make so much capital out it.

Like 1      
14 Feb 2014 4:26 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

It was the comment about cancelling the OAP because of being in receipt of a public sector pension.   HOWEVER, since I later remembered that you are also in the same position - I am assuming it was irony? 

Like 0      
14 Feb 2014 4:29 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

BACK to the Winter fuel position.  My understanding is that it is going to be the same for everyone, and it will be termperature dependant.   But I have no doubt it is a question of enjoy it while you can because it will not be around much longer!!  

Like 0      
15 Feb 2014 11:13 AM by aleblancsmith Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

To quote the statistic concerning average temperature in inner Spain is meaningless as it has already been stated that the majority of "Brits" live on the costal strip and have bought property there because of the better weather. Yes, they do suffer some cold weather during the winter but this is generally at night with the days still being warm. I have just returned from Spain where we had the heating on in the evening but I got a tan in the beautiful day time sunshine!  Compare this with the UK pensioner who suffers cold night and day for many months of the year - just look at our current weather!  Throwing bricks at IDS seems a bit pointless.  He has a job to do and is faced with cuts in his budget so has to look at all possible areas of expenditure.  I am not a political animal but it would seem he has achieved legitimate savings in UK benefits system. I don't feel too strongly about WFA for UK "Brits" in Spain but I can understand the justification for removing it

Like 1      
15 Feb 2014 11:18 AM by jacobleej Star rating in Huddersfield/Almeria. 3 posts Send private message

They should leave the allowance alone & although many may think Spain is a hot country that really doesn't matter...we live in Carboneras Almeria & it can be chilly here also but the biggest factor is yes it does get hot BUT these apartments are made for hot weather but in winter they are like iceboxes & are very cold & you really DO need heating on or sit under a blanket when indoors with is not very practical by no means...So I say it should stay in place & why should other pensioners be paid more than other or be entitled to get more...we have all put in to get our pensions & thus we should be all entitled to the same entitlements ....

Like 0      
15 Feb 2014 11:24 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I think it is time to scrapthe existing WFA (Winter Fuel Allowance)

and instigate a new WFA (Winter Flood Allowance).  

Like 0      
15 Feb 2014 11:29 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Yes, and it would be nice to see that distributed fairly.   This may have changed, but on Thursday there were 5000 houses flooded in the UK.    4 years ago when Hull and the north had severe flooding, there were 50000 houses flooded.  No princes arrived there to help out, and certainly no additional handouts OR wall to wall TV coverage.   Last year in the north of England a whole new build estate was washed away.  No princes there either.

Well, at least those on millionaire row can now say 'we are all in this together'!!!!     

Like 1      
15 Feb 2014 11:33 AM by casarita Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

The winter fuel allowance should only be paid to those resident in the U.K. Why should this benefit help the economy of another country.  The £200 paid per household is meant to be used towards the winter fuel bills of that household, but rarely is.  I know many pensioners that use this payment to pay for gifts for their families at Christmas etc., yet they still sit under duvets whilst their heating remains off.   The fuel allowance should be in the form of a voucher thus exhanged with the fuel provider when the bill is due, then it will be seen to be used for the purpose intended.

Like 2      
15 Feb 2014 11:47 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Casarita The winter fuel allowance should only be paid to those resident in the U.K. Why should this benefit help the economy of another country?  

Are you sitting comfortably children ?

What an excellent Idea.

But let’s not stop with WFA, do not pay OAP, or even any UK based private pensions to those (who have had the audacity)  to leave  the UK.    Why should any other country benefit from UK pensions ?

And, maybe we could introduce a maximum income level, so that no one would be allowed to take home more than that set by the government.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 15/02/2014.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2014 11:49 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I think it is time to scrapthe existing WFA (Winter Fuel Allowance)

and instigate a new WFA (Winter Flood Allowance).  

Why not just call it Extreme Weather Allowance which would encompass any eventuality. Have it means tested and available to any pensioner that has paid into the system for a minimum amount of years.

Carsarita

Surely it has to be wrong to discriminate against non resident pensioners? A pension right earnt is a pension right earnt regardless of where you live. I do thing your voucher idea is good though.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2014 12:01 PM by jeffsears Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

Lets just put an end to these arguments. Simply add the WFA to the state pension and then it will be taxed and the better off will receive less benefit. At the same time the state employess who administer it can be sacked and more money saved. When the giant ponzi scheme known as the gold plated public sector pension scheme collapses there will be more important things to worry about.

Like 2      
15 Feb 2014 12:09 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Jeff  Simply add the WFA to the state pension and then it will be taxed 

For those living in Spain, it is taxed now, just like the Christmas bonus, it must be added to ones income and declared.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 15/02/2014.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2014 12:41 PM by jeffsears Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

Just like in should be in the UK and needing less administration.

But I wonder how many expats in Spain are making tax returns. I know many that are not and have no intention of doing so.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2014 12:48 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I have only today come across this thread and read it all with interest. Pretty much all that can be said has been, and every angle and opinion covered. I basically agree 100% with everything Johnzx has said so far laugh, but especially with the last post from jeffsears: "Simply add the WFA to the state pension .... the state employess who administer it can be sacked and more money saved"

I don't have the statistics to hand needed to work this out, (IDS does, I'm sure) but I don't understand why men over 60 get it anyway. They are either early retirees, so presumably can afford their heating bills easily, working (so can afford....) or receiving unemployment and/or other benefits (so can afford....) How many men between 60 and retirement age get it now (i.e. how much would be saved) compared to how many pensioners living overseas that will continue to (and should) get it? And having just gone through a lengthy experience of contesting a refusal to pay me (because apparently I don't have sufficient or genuine links to the UK, which was clearly a made-up excuse, totally unjustified, not to mention a breach of existing law) the cost savings of scrapping the entire department and the adminsitration involved in this stupid benefit would, I'm sure, be considerable. I'm sure if IDS spent a day with the WFP team in Newcastle, his decison would be easier. The cost of the phone calls they made to me alone would probably pay another pensioner's heating bill for a week or two. Why not just incorporate it into the existing £10 Xmas present? 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
15 Feb 2014 12:52 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

I'm sure many expats in Spain make tax returns. Whenever I go to our solicitors in March time the place is full of Brits getting their tax returns done. Yes, the WFA is added to your income as well. 

Don't tar everyone with the same brush. Some of us even get our cars done legally as well. Shock, horror!

Like 2      
15 Feb 2014 1:02 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Casarita is actually spot on with the comment that it should only be paid to those living in the UK after all it's paid to the "Household" just so happens it has to go into a named account, whereas the state pension is paid to the named individual and has been paid for over many years by the named individual.

Correct also is why should this money come out of the UK's coffers only to help pay "Other" countries' fuel bills,  it is the persons choice to move. 

Sounds a good idea to give a fuel voucher over, that way the voucher might only be cashable in the UK. 

Considering this was first started to help out with heating our house's, for our cold weather winter's in the UK.

Like 1      
15 Feb 2014 2:03 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Baz Considering this was first started to help out with heating our house's, for our cold weather winter's in the UK.

No it was a ploy by the Labour Party to get votes at the next election.

And remember, if one was in receipt of it before they left UK they continued to get it when they moved to say Spain.  But if one moved before they were eligible they did not get it, until the ECJ  caused the DWP to realise they were illegally refusing to pay it.

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Oxygen supplier - 2 posts
What happens if there is debt on a property or community fees unpaid? - 11 posts
cancellation of Britanny Ferries crossing Thursday 13th Santander to Portsmouth - 0 posts
Electronic Registration - Spanish Tax Office - 5 posts
Become a homeowner for €1,000 - illegally of course... - 0 posts
sky tv - 2 posts
Is there much singing work in Spain - 1 posts
Lloyds Bank International changing to Banco Sabadell - Distance Banking - 14 posts
FREE Guide on Spanish Wills and Spain IHT - 5 posts
FREE Guide on Setting a Company in Spain - 0 posts
Administrators - 0 posts
cost upsizing satellite dish - 14 posts
Swing Seat - 0 posts
androi for tv - 5 posts
Nice Coastal Resorts Near Valencia - 3 posts
CAN I STILL SKY IN COSTA DEL SOL WITH MULTIROOM - 16 posts
Supreme Court and liabilities of Banks and Property valuers - 0 posts
Farnsfield - 7 posts
Iberdrola have cut us off - Help! - 10 posts
.GONE - 28 posts
Broadband - Mijas Area - 1 posts
aguilas carnival march 2014 - 0 posts
Repossession Pending - Drive By Valuation - Lawyers - 5 posts
Housing market will stabilise this year, says FUNCAS - 1 posts
Santander bank goes from strength to strength - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 68

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x