Nice Coastal Resorts Near Valencia

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Feb 2014 7:49 PM by ianz Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

We love the city of Valencia and are thinking about moving to Spain. We intend to rent a place for a 2 to 3 months to get a better feel for living in Spain out of season before deciding about a permanent move. Does anyone know of any small relatively undeveloped coastal towns or villages near to Vallencia. We don't want some where that is full of high rise apartment blocks or hotels. A place with traditional Spanish character. Any recommendations

ianz

Like 0      
09 Feb 2014 6:24 PM by Nostradamus Star rating in Dublin y Catalunya. 26 posts Send private message

Hi,ianz

My original intention in 2006-2007 was to purchase a property in the Valencia region and I carried out very extensive research on the ground,though ultimately I opted for Catalunya-odious people but wonderful amenities.I loved Valencia city and its quirky,friendly people but I thought the countryside around Valencia very flat and  uninteresting.I can definitely make a few suggestions which might assist

1.Your first port of call should be the railway line running south from Valencia to Gandia,which serves Silla and Cullera,among other stops .I  strongly urge Silla for your consideration-I liked it so much I visted it three times.It is coastal but does not have a beach,has an entirely spanish village-type  ambience,and is only 4 stops,13 mins from the amenities of Valencia city.Cullera is a beach resort,30 mins from Valencia which is popular but which I do not know well.Gandia itself is definitely worth a visit-the town in my opinion is quite attractive and the beach is located some distance from the town,There is a significant expat presence in Gandia but I do not feel it is in any sense "spoiled",others might disagree-worth a visit to form your own opinion.There are other villages on this train line worth at least a passing glance -one might catch your fancy

2.The railway line running north of Valencia to Castellon offers a few possibles.El Puig is a quite attractive small town/ village,very spanish,very fashionable but definitely rather quiet.Sagunto ,two stops beyond,has roman momuments,an attractive enough centre but a hideous road network  surrounding.-about 30 mins from Vslencia city

I would be disappointed if these two lines did not offer you some possible locations of choice

3.If you  are prepared to modify your insistence on a coastal location,there are some attractive  towns in Valencia region,worth a visit  on their owm merits in any event(all accessible by train)

Xativa -Very attractive,unspoiled,dominated by castle

Alzira-lovely town,,but inward looking,worth a visit

Requena-town in wine country,attractive

Algemesi-I thought this a very attractive friendly town,with fairly low property values

Happy hunting!

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 8:04 PM by palma Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

04 Jun 2014 8:42 PM by palma Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I will try and put some notes onto this reply.

My original intention in 2006-2007 was to purchase a property in the Valencia region and I carried out very extensive research on the ground,though ultimately I opted for Catalunya-odious people but wonderful amenities.I loved Valencia city and its quirky,friendly people not sure whether my favourite city is quirky, the people are friendly and there are lots of things to do. but I thought the countryside around Valencia very flat and  (it depends on the countryside around Valencia - its uninteresting.I would put it more interestingly.  There are areas around Valencia that are flat where local people grow vegetables and fruit.  It is called the huerta.  Whether 2km off the coast or inland there are mountains, the highest being Monduver (which is 841 metres high and is located between the towns of Xaraco and Xeresa)  can definitely make a few suggestions which might assist

1.Your first port of call should be the railway line running south from Valencia to Gandia,OK so we start with Massanasa, Benifaio, Sueca and then Cullera.  giving Cullera a miss for the time being. None of these are on the sea, they are big towns with a mixed population and I would not think that many English people live here. Along the coast most of the small towns are deserted of tourists - the people that make up the towns. Actually most are high rise apartment blocks.  There are one or two good restaurants along there but le Saler is not too bad, not sure whether there are any, if at all expats. which serves Silla and Cullera,among other stops .I  strongly urge Silla for your consideration-I liked it so much I visted it three times.It is coastal not sure what you mean by coastal, gives the impression that its on the coast and it isn't.  I would not recommend Silla to anyone English.   Could i put forward these points, first of all one of you needs a hospital, where is the one that feeds these towns, Valencia? where it the medical centre where you see your doctor and secondly can you both drive - being that you will both be resident. but does not have a beach,has an entirely spanish village-type  ambience,and is only 4 stops,13 mins from the amenities of Valencia city.Cullera is a beach resort,30 mins from Valencia which is popular Cullera has a mixed population Spanish and french and others in between - there will be English there but we go often, in the winter people come down from Valencia for a ppaseo.   but which I do not know well.Gandia itself is definitely worth a visit-the town in my opinion is quite attractive Gandia has high rise apartment blocks and so has the beach area.   There will not be many ex pats in Gandia, I don't know how many but I guess some have gone back to England and others have businesses situated in the city.  and the beach is located some distance from the town,There is a significant expat presence in Gandia but I do not feel it is in any sense "spoiled",others might disagree-worth a visit to form your own opinion.  Gandia, like Cullera has a big cultural program, Cullera is well known locally for music, probably more so than Gandia but there are lots of bands in Gandia too. You have to remember that a lot of people have gone back to England for one reason or another.    A lot of English people live on urbanisations and you can see in Barx and other towns on the edge of Gandia that there are lots of properties for sale.  There are other villages on this train line worth at least a passing glance -one might catch your fancy.

We find that the cultural scene is such that we have to keep a diary so that we know whats coming up and we don't miss things.  Programs in the various towns/villages are on the appropriate websites.

You don't want to live in a high rise block of flats.  After Franco (someone correct me if I am wrong) people no longer wanted to live in small village houses because they were not warm, Gandia especially has had photo exhibitions of old gandia where there were lots of houses. Now, in England people would be restoring them.There is also the campo houses which usually have their own generator - haven't any idea if they are warm.  We have progressed, we now have wood pellet stoves which serve as a heating source and gas is available. 

2.The railway line running north of Valencia to Castellon offers a few possibles.El Puig is a quite attractive small town/ village,very spanish,very fashionable but definitely rather quiet.Sagunto ,two stops beyond,has roman momuments,an attractive enough centre but a hideous road network  surrounding.-about 30 mins from Vslencia city  Yes, I understand El Puig (pronounced El Pudg) there are a few English people, I know one family and I am sure there are a lot more.  Sagunto - I am not sure, I have always found it very Spanish and so is Peniscola.

I would be disappointed if these two lines did not offer you some possible locations of choice

The two places not mentioned are the coast places after ~Gandia, - Piles, Bellreguard but come September, Spanish people go home and these are very deserted in the winter, probably a few shops.  Then you have Oliva, English are abundant.  Whether you live by the sea or in the town, there are plenty of En glish people - bars, shops, and there is a good music scene.  I used to live Oliva until we came to have a look and the English swearing at night stopped that.

Denia, again mixed population with Spanish people.  Again high rise flats unless you go into the campo or onto an urbanisation.  

We stayed away from urbanisations for various reasons.  Community payments, perhaps money for a pool which you wouldn't use, no street lighting and I haven't said this, someone said to me, urbanisations are clicky.

The villages in the la safor area where we live is the real Spanish life style.  Again, a lot of old houses have been converted into 2 flats (see gandiapropertyforsale (I am not allowed to give you a website - so let me know)  some are sold for holiday homes, some are permanent.  Very very low cost of living but handy for Gandia and Oliva.

3.If you  are prepared to modify your insistence on a coastal location,there are some attractive  towns in Valencia region,worth a visit  on their owm merits in any event(all accessible by train)

Xativa -Very attractive,unspoiled,dominated by castle Yes, I agree with Xativa but again lots of expats leaving to go back to the UK.  A very historic town and nice people. Excellent market on Fridays.

Alzira-lovely town,,but inward looking,worth a visit  Yes, Alzira, Requena and Lliria all have expats with lots to do I believe.  Been to them all and still like where we are 4.5km from Gandia - so we have it all.  We have history, tranquility, friends, the old people throw their arms round me and kiss me and they all make a real fuss and yet I am absolutely hopeless at Spanish.   I haven't dared to drive yet in all these years - In 2 weeks we had two accidents both not our fault and that put the tin hat on it.

Requena-town in wine country,attractive as above

Algemesi-I thought this a very attractive friendly town,with fairly low property values Yes low property values - and just think WHY!!!

My email is on my website so if you have any questions, please don't hestitate to contact me.   I love the shops in Gandia but my favourite is Bonaire in Valencia.  I have exercise on Wednesdays whilst my partner is at one of his meetings and then we go to Bonaire, maybe we go even 3 times a week.  Al Campo is a good supermarket.

I will just add this warning, the hospital situation in Valencia Province is dire.  I have been turned down many times for an op and now have to go privately having to spend my savings.

We are walking fans and there are some beautiful walks and you will be suprised at what you find round the corner, we are also affectionados of the Moros y Christianos and history - knowing ecxactly what band is playing by the sound of the musicians.

I think thats all i can tell you and if you want to come and see our property, drop me a line. 

Happy hunting!

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

CAN I STILL SKY IN COSTA DEL SOL WITH MULTIROOM - 16 posts
Supreme Court and liabilities of Banks and Property valuers - 0 posts
Farnsfield - 7 posts
Iberdrola have cut us off - Help! - 10 posts
.GONE - 28 posts
Broadband - Mijas Area - 1 posts
aguilas carnival march 2014 - 0 posts
Repossession Pending - Drive By Valuation - Lawyers - 5 posts
Housing market will stabilise this year, says FUNCAS - 1 posts
Santander bank goes from strength to strength - 5 posts
95% of Spaniards believe corruption is generalised - 1 posts
Private banking in Spain? - 0 posts
Is Cannabis Legal in Spain? - 5 posts
feeling frustrated - 1 posts
Astra 2E the transponder frequency change over begins - 47 posts
valtocado mijas, cartama near villafranco - 1 posts
Cancel Utilities - 14 posts
Short Term 2 to 3 month rental - 5 posts
Air Boxs. - 0 posts
Fiat Qubo 2011 for sale. - 0 posts
Looking for a good trustworthy legal firm in Los Alcazares in Murcia - 9 posts
Golf - 1 posts
Utilities terazzas de la torre - 3 posts
Amazing place to visit.....near Torrevieja - 2 posts
camper van? - 18 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x