Getting a UK car MOT'd in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Jan 2014 9:50 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Why, do they have British MOT test stations in Gibraltar? You won't even be allowed entry to Gibraltar without a valid tax disc and you can't get a UK registered car MOTd there, only Gib registered ones. You don't even get a MOT certificate In UK anymore unless it fails and the testing station has to be linked to the DVLA system. It's not the tester, it's the test station that matters and they are only in UK.
Unless, of course, it's the dodgy Brits who seem to take great pleasure in getting things done on the sly instead of doing things properly. I wonder if any other EU nation spends more time getting round the rules and regulations than doing things properly in the first place?

Like 0      
11 Jan 2014 9:52 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Where does it say that a UK qualified MOT tester has to be in the UK to carry out the test?  Is it possible that the company metioned above is based in Gibralter?

Pretty sure the company mentioned are in the UK, and at the moment you cant get a UK MOT on a UK registered car in Gibralter, been talk of changing this to make it the same all over the EU, as of yet nothing has changed. The EU wanted the UK to change the law for new cars in the UK to have the first MOT done after 4 years, not 3, even that was thrown out.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2014 10:05 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

You don't even get a MOT certificate In UK anymore unless it fails 

Picked this bit out of your post because I am not sure what you meant by it, can you explain it a bit more please Mariedav.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2014 10:22 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

All you get now is an MOT reminder. If there are problems or advice notices, this will be printed on it. If it passes with no advice, it is simply a receipt and no longer the MOT certificate. They are even going to scrap the tax disc for your car as well and everything will be simply computerised.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2014 10:24 PM by lijaloo Star rating. 41 posts Send private message

Yes they have to be linked to the DVLA by computer and rather than the old style certificate you receive a computer print out. We are not resident in Spain so we do not have the problem of getting our cars MOT'd, taxed or insured.  I have looked at the UK gov website and it does not say anything about it having to be carried out in the UK (as far as I can see) nor does it say that the qualified tester has to be based in the UK or that the test centre has to be in the UK.  

Like 0      
11 Jan 2014 10:42 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

The white A4 sheet you now get is the MOT certificate, it's not a receipt, if you want a receipt you get one from the garage or MOT testing station for the money you handed over for the cost of the MOT.

If the car fails you get the same certificate but a fail one with the list of fails it failed on, if your car passes the MOT test but has advisories' these are printed out on the right hand side section, you don't have to do these advisories', the MOT stations in the UK have been told..or suggested to advise rather then fail a car, of course unless it's dangerous, this is to comply with the EU due to the system used to report on which country within the EU has the safest cars on the roads. Less fails = better cars.

In this coming October the tax disc is finished with, the cost for 6 months will be the same as half the 12 months cost where as now 6 months is dearer, you will be able to buy the road tax monthly direct debit, when you sell the car and report the sale to DVLA the computerised disc is taken of automatically and the new owner has to get a fresh road tax, no more buying a car with left over months of road tax on it.

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 11/01/2014.

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 11/01/2014.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2014 11:08 PM by lijaloo Star rating. 41 posts Send private message

In this coming October the tax disc is finished with, the cost for 6 months will be the same as half the 12 months cost where as now 6 months is dearer, you will be able to buy the road tax monthly direct debit, when you sell the car and report the sale to DVLA the computerised disc is taken of automatically and the new owner has to get a fresh road tax, no more buying a car with left over months of road tax on it

Seems that there will be the option to pay monthly or six monthly but there will be a surcharge of 5% to do so.  At the moment paying 6 monthly leads to a 10% surcharge.  Can you give me link please about not being able to transfer any remaining tax to a new owner. That seems to imply that refunds will not be possible.  I know when we travel to Spain for more than a few weeks we SORN my car and get a refund on what's left and use my husbands car. 

This message was last edited by lijaloo on 11/01/2014.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2014 11:33 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

I have looked at the UK gov website and it does not say anything about it having to be carried out in the UK (as far as I can see) nor does it say that the qualified tester has to be based in the UK or that the test centre has to be in the UK.  

What a load of rubbish. It also doesn't say you have to be alive to drive a car but you couldn't do it.  All VOSA official test centres for MOTs are located in the UK. There are no test centres anywhere outside the UK. Try looking on the UK gov website for centres and you have to enter a UK postcode. No ifs, no buts. If your statement was true (which it patently isn't) any qualified mechanic who had done the MOT testing course could set up anywhere in the world and carry out tests. But they can't because they would not be an approved testing centre. Yhey are all located in the UK.

Like 1      
12 Jan 2014 10:19 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Ijaloo,  I know when we travel to Spain for more than a few weeks we SORN my car and get a refund on what's left and use my husbands car.

See:-   https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/266113/V890.pdf                           It says  :-   A SORN cannot be made if the vehicle is taken out of the UK.

When I first came to Spain in1987, that’s what I used to do when I visited UK.  Make an appointment before I left Spain for an MOT in Northampton (arriving in Portsmouth) get the MOT,  get ‘Road Tax’ and then when I returned to Spain, drop the tax disc in a postbox in Portsmouth and get a refund.

At that time it was not a legal requirement to have an MOT nor a ‘Road Tax’ on a UK Reg car to drive it Spain.  (I had an email from DVLC confirming it too)

Since than many people believe, they may be right, although I am not convinced, that now one needs both to be legal in Spain. 

I am aware what DVLC say,  in effect, the vehicle must be taxed, but I am not sure that the Spanish Law says that too.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 12/01/2014.

Like 0      
12 Jan 2014 10:59 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Seems that there will be the option to pay monthly or six monthly but there will be a surcharge of 5% to do so.  At the moment paying 6 monthly leads to a 10% surcharge.  Can you give me link please about not being able to transfer any remaining tax to a new owner. That seems to imply that refunds will not be possible.  I know when we travel to Spain for more than a few weeks we SORN my car and get a refund on what's left and use my husbands car. 

It's being a little bit vague at the moment so this is a calculated guess, you will buy your new road tax  online, when you come to sell the car any remaining months of road tax will be credited back to the account you bought it with, you can see why it's being done, now the present system allows you to buy a car, get the selling owner to tax it for 12 months, and it is now its possible to own the car but not have your name show up as the new owner, the new way the old seller has to tell DVLA...The new buyer has to register the car...DVLA now also has a record of perhaps another bank account, everything fits in.

PS....Sorry forgot to add that perhaps when you sorn your car it will be automatically refunded for the road tax, so you wont lose out, when you next tax it the sorn comes of...Main problem here is everything is down to the government and we all know how they love to screw the motorist.

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 12/01/2014.

Like 0      
12 Jan 2014 12:06 PM by lijaloo Star rating. 41 posts Send private message

johnzx.  No worries, my car which is the one that ends up untaxed and SORN stays on the drive here in the UK, we then use my husbands car to drive to Spain.  Wouldn't risk driving a car which isn't legal in the UK let alone in Spain.

mariedav.  No need for that sort of response.  I was simply commenting on what it says on the gov.uk website https://www.gov.uk/become-an-mot-tester/overview and asking whether it was possible that a qualified tester could then set up outside the UK.  Clearly you have far more knowledge in this field than I do but next time my car is due its MOT I will ask at the local MOT station what the regulations are about where an MOT test centre can be opened.  

baz1946. Thanks 

This message was last edited by lijaloo on 12/01/2014.

Like 0      
12 Jan 2014 1:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

lijaloo  Sorry I misunderstood what you said.

Like 0      
12 Jan 2014 4:14 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Kellylieberman asks a perfectly valid question and then gets given some frankly misleading advice.
It happens all the time when any question is asked. Kathyslad has studied the rules and the law and gives the correct information which gets lost in all the conflicting replies which is a shame.
johnzx. It also states on the British consulate website that a vehicle must be legal in its own country to be driven in Spain which includes minimum 3rd party insurance, road tax and current MOT.
For lijaloo to state it does not say on the DVLA website that the tester/test station has to in UK is, at best, misleading and simply muddies the waters.
Now, if anybody KNOWS how to get the car back to UK for an MOT then I am sure the advice would be gladly received. Bad advice should be disregarded but it becomes very difficult when so many"a bloke in the pub told me" or "I've heard that...." stories come in.
If anyone wants to come to my house I'll give them a piece of paper saying I've checked the vehicle and this is my version of an MOT certificate. I'll take 50 quid of them quite happily but it won't be worth a crock of sunshine.

Like 1      
12 Jan 2014 6:22 PM by lijaloo Star rating. 41 posts Send private message

For lijaloo to state it does not say on the DVLA website that the tester/test station has to in UK is, at best, misleading and simply muddies the waters.

I have not mentioned the DVLA website at all. 

And as for misleading information and muddying the waters....

All you get now is an MOT reminder. If there are problems or advice notices, this will be printed on it. If it passes with no advice, it is simply a receipt and no longer the MOT certificate.

Like 0      
12 Jan 2014 8:26 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Lets consider this then, if you drive a UK car in the UK with no UK Road tax or UK MOT and have an accident in the UK your UK insurance company is quite within it's rights to say "Sorry No tax..No MOT..should not have been on the road with an illegal car on the road, so we don't have to pay out" ....Now drive this same car to, and through Spain with No UK Road tax...No UK MOT....Are you still insured then if you have an accident in Spain? 

Your car has to be legal in Spain the same as in the UK.

You cant even tow a car in the UK with no Mot or Road Tax.

No UK MOT tester can open a UK MOT / ITV station in Spain because it would then be a Spanish ITV station covered under Spanish ITV laws. Thats not to say the UK tester cant pass the test in Spain.

Anyone can open a UK MOT station in the UK provided the rules and laws are met, and cost of setting it up, even then it's quite possible VOSA might say your to near another one, so no! They do like the MOT station to be on an open and working car repair garage,  the MOT tester doesn't even have to be a car mechanic.

Hope I haven't confused this any more.

Like 0      
12 Jan 2014 8:55 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

From the government website

The new A4 sheet in lieu of an MOT certificate is your receipt for the MOT test. It shows the information that is held on the MOT database. The certificate is no longer proof of an MOT and should not be relied on as such. Only the computer record can prove a vehicle has a valid MOT. Under the new system any recommended advisory work will normally be shown on a new Advisory Notice which will be given to you at the time of the test.

From the Daily Telegraph motoring column

Proof of a valid test is kept online by the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency, VOSA. MOT paper certificates are no longer proof of existence of a valid MOT certificate. The VOSA testing station does not need to give you a copy of this certificate but you may request one. Any advisory notices will be shown on a separate sheet.

When considering buying a used vehicle which requires a MOT certificate always check online to ensure the MOT certificate is valid. If a seller won't let you check a vehicle's MOT online before you buy, walk away and report the matter to VOSA.

You can check MOT records through the VOSA website :

Confusingly, this A4 sheet of paper is still referred to as the MOT certificate but it no longer contains a serial number or official VOSA testing station stamp. 

Like 0      
12 Jan 2014 9:08 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Advisory work on your car is shown on the same  A4 size white paper MOT sheet, the old MOT certificates put it on a separate sheet, dishonest dealers didn't hand this over, now you cant get away from the advisories.

The printing equipment is VOSA controlled. The plain paper is bought by the MOT station.

The MOT certificate...Old or New... has never been proof that a car is roadworthy past 24 hours.

Like it or not the A4 sheet is a MOT Certificate, if it wasn't it wouldn't say so on it.

It's obvious that if someone forges a MOT sheet then that one is not valid.

PS...Again sorry, forgot to add the MOT A4 white sheet has the garage name and address on it, it has the serial number on it, it has the MOT testers name / signature on it.

Like 0      
12 Jan 2014 9:28 PM by lijaloo Star rating. 41 posts Send private message

Interesting that my current MOT document issued on 30/10/2013 at 13:29 states MOT Test Certificate.  It also states that If I want a reminder I should text MOT No to 66848.  Cost £1.50. 

My husbands issued on 21/11/2013 states the same.  It gives the name and address of the Inspection authority together with the test station number plus the signature of the person who carried out the test. On the right hand side is a box headed Advisory Information.  

They also record the odometer readings on the date of previous MOT tests.  Nice check when it comes to buying/selling the car to prove genuine mileage.

It goes on to state 

1 This document is a receipt style CERTIFICATE telling you that an MOT test pass result has been recorded on the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency's (VOSA) database of MOT Test results; this may be verified at .direct.gov.uk/yourmotcheck

2 A test CERTIFICATE relates to the condition of the components examined at the time of the test. It does not confirm that the vehicle will remain roadworthy for the validity of the certificate. 

There are a couple of other points, one about the advisory information and that they do not constitute a failure and the other about obtaining further information about the document, 

This is the second year we have received this style MOT certificate so they are not really new.  The previous MOT certificate was also computer printed on A4 and any advisories were on a separate sheet. The information about the test station was the same.  Its been quite a few years since the old hand style completed by hand certificates were issued,

Like 1      
12 Jan 2014 9:34 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

The quotes were from the pistonhead chatsite.  There are concerned that, as there is no serial number, driving in France may be a problem. They have been discussing this for about 2 years. However, as I haven't seen one, I bow to your knowledge.

Back to the main point. I think the only way around it is to have the car transported back to the UK. Whilst I haven't been stopped over here by the police, I wouldn't like to chance driving it all the way up Spain if the Spanish police have access to the VOSA database. Not sure if they have automatic access or whether they would only check if they actually stopped you. 

Like 0      
13 Jan 2014 8:56 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

The quotes were from the pistonhead chatsite. 

Pistonheads chatsite, no wonder you are confused, I thought you were quoting from the VOSA or DVLA sites.

If they have been discussing this for about 2 years then they have an awful lot of readers who have been told and absorbed information that is completely useless, and probably not only on this issue, but others concerning more dangerous items, no doubt this magazine does its job of lighting a fire quite well.

To your other point about the cops in Spain having access to the DVLA database, this I have been told by someone who got stopped in France, not Spain I know,  who lives and owns property in France, who was driving a UK registered car back to his house with no UK MOT, because to use it in France you have to get all the French stuff on it so he saw no point in getting the UK MOT done only to throw it away, the cops pulled him and told him they had checked and it had no UK MOT, they let him go on home due to getting it done ASAP in France. Perhaps better to presume they can check rather then try and perhaps lose  all.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Indoor swimming pool Fuengirola - 2 posts
Place in the Sun - 4 posts
mortgages - 5 posts
Cameron awards MBE to his barber - 5 posts
form 210 - 1 posts
Amazon.es - 2 posts
condado golf society - 0 posts
Credit where its due - 4 posts
Passinthru - 2 posts
Thinking of moving to Spain - 9 posts
What do you thing traveling can provide us happyness ? - 2 posts
installation of air conditioning units in Murcia what should I expect to pay - 1 posts
Villa PAC's - 4 posts
Feliz Navidad - 0 posts
electronic submission of form 210 - 5 posts
Spanish private lessons or conversation - 0 posts
A place in the sun tv - 7 posts
Private Buyer looking to buy Spanish Property asap - 0 posts
Returning Sales goods - 0 posts
Outpatient drugs to be funded by patients from January onwards - 0 posts
Happy New Year. - 1 posts
costaluz lawyers - 7 posts
Putting Spanish plates on UK Reg vehicle - 12 posts
UK looks after the rest of the world - 23 posts
Same Sex Paedophilia Legal in Spain? - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 40

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x