Putting Spanish plates on UK Reg vehicle

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Jan 2014 11:06 AM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Here is my tricky problem. Four or so years ago I bought a brand new left-hand-drive Fiat Strada Adventure pick-up off the forecourt of a Belgian dealership. I drove it to UK and put it on UK plates. My model FIAT is not sold in the UK and so I had to show my FIAT-issued certificate of EU conformity complete with Type approval to DVLA, and once they had seen that document the only thing I had to do was get a letter from a friendly garage saying I'd had the headlights changed. I got my UK plates the following day and immediately drove the vehicle to Spain, re-switching my headlights en route. The vehicle has since lived in Spain and UK.

It is now old enough to need an MOT and  I've been trying unsuccessfully (twice) to switch it to Spanish plates. The problems start when I get sent to have the ITV. The vehicle is also not sold in Spain and so doesn't appear on their computer drop-down menu. They then just say it can't be done. I show them the  EU conformity certificate but they aren't interested. Funnily enough both they and the local Guarda Civil just ask me why I'm bothering and to just carry on as before. Can anyone figure out what the root of the problem is and how I can go about sorting it out?

Happy 2014!

Like 0      
01 Jan 2014 12:26 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Guy

Are they looking on the database for the right type of vehicle? a Furgoneta not a Turismo?

Maybe you could register it as a Strada Treckking there are a few of them around in Spain?

http://www.segundamano.es/murcia/fiat-strada-trekking-13-multijet-cabina-corta-2p/a32594671/?ca=0_s&st=a&c=4

Like 0      
02 Jan 2014 8:03 AM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

That's very useful to know. I'll try again and take along some downloaded photos - one has a registration number showing, so perhaps they can look it up and see what protocol was used to ITV it.

Many thanks, Guy

Like 0      
02 Jan 2014 10:34 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Presuming you can see the ITV computer.

On the ITV centre computer screen is they're a drop down menu box for your make (Fiat) showing the model? does it have a "Ticked" box next to, or near this, if it does and it's ticked, ask them to untick the box and they should...Maybe...Perhaps... be able to put your model (Adventure) into this box on the ITV computer, and then it's recognised, also check your Log book / Registration papers to make sure you have a model name in them, if you do then they should go by this.

I know you are doing this in Spain, this can be done this way in the UK, also in the UK you can alter the country by using the "Country" menu drop down box, perhaps they can do it this way and also alter the country as well.......IF they will.

Hope some of this might help a little.

Like 0      
02 Jan 2014 6:35 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Thank you, baz. I'll make a point of trying this. Funnily, on examining it as I write this, my UK log book "EU Registration Certificate" lists the make as Fiat, pick-up, light goods vehicle, but does not say it is a Strada or Adventure. Neither does the certificate of conformity, it just says it's a Fiat Camionette. On the other hand the vehicle does have Strada Adventure written/badged all over it. Definitely the problem was that they could not get their computer to recognise the vehicle. On both occassions they came out to the car and were looking for stickers in the door well and under the bonnet. As best I could understand, they told me I would have to go and get a one-off certificate of conformity from Madrid. When I waved my Fiat EU-wide Certificate of Conformity, they weren't interested. Anyway, reinvigorated with yours and TeamGB's ideas, I'll keep banging away.........I appreciate the help.

Like 0      
03 Jan 2014 7:41 PM by hinchliffe Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

You need an engineer's report. As the car is made in Europe with this report the car should go through the ITV.it needs a Spanish engineers report. Our engineers dept often does these if you need any help ring our engineer xavi.English spoken and he will.give you advice
Tel 661026399 anytime

Like 0      
04 Jan 2014 8:21 AM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Hi, hinchliffe. I am grateful for everyone trying to help. What I can't understand is why an "engineer's report" (whatever that is) is required for Spain. I could have registered the vehicle in Belgium no problem if I'd had an address, and managed to register it in UK without any problems once I'd shown DVLA my EU Cert of Conformity. Can you please give me a ball park figure for an engineer's report? This may well have been what one of the inspectors was telling me when he said I could go to Madrid and get a certificate. he followed up this suggestion by saying "It'll cost about €1500 and if I was you I wouldn't waste the money, I'd just keep it on UK plates". Espana! You try to do the right thing but sometimes you want to tear your hair out. Please don't think I'm being argumentative.

Like 0      
04 Jan 2014 8:49 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Guy

I think hinchliffe is refering to 'Homologation' this has to be worse case scenario. I was hoping that you would be able to find a way round this -  part of this process is 'type approval' which you already have.

During this process the vehicle is given a personalised Type Approval number by the Spanish “Ministerio de Industria” - Industry Ministry. It may take up to 30-40 days and costs around 1500€. A representative from the Ministry will travel to see the vehicle. He will then provide a list of necessary adjustments that have to be implemented. Official homologation document is then issued that allows the ITV test to be passed

What do the ITV station say when you give them your original type approval number? It sounds like a 'computer says no' problem to me.

Here is another Strada for sale in Alicante, this one could even be a Adventure (it has ADV in the title), clearly showing the Spanish matricular.

http://www.milanuncios.com/fiat-de-segunda-mano/fiat-strada-cabina-larga-1-3jtd-adv-114932962.htm

Like 0      
04 Jan 2014 9:07 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Just thinking on, maybe the problem is simple, maybe the car is listed on the computer as FIAT STRADA CABINA LARGA 1. 3JTD ADV

Like 0      
04 Jan 2014 11:21 AM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Yes, I am hoping that armed with several printout photos of this model with their registration numbers will enable a motivated ITV to find the model on his database. "What do they say when you give them your priginal type approval number/certificate?". They scratch their head and make funny noises as if they would like to help but can't.

I'm in UK at the moment - getting the MOT done - but will try again as soon as I get back. I'll also visit my local Fiat dealership and ask them to help if need be.

When I read on ths site of some of the problems people have, I realise that mine is very trivial. 

I've just read John's post. Perhaps I should take along a pre-filled-out compaint form to give the ITV inspector if he won't do my bidding. lol. I must say, John, I admire your cheek. A bit like Biff Tannen hassling George in Back to the Future, (having written off George's BMW which he had borrowed):

Marty enters his house and sees Biff harrassing George
Biff Tannen: I can't believe you'd loan me your car without telling me it had a blind spot. I could've been killed! 

This message was last edited by GuyT on 04/01/2014.

Like 0      
04 Jan 2014 5:51 PM by hinchliffe Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Look in your car papers to see if you have an homologation number it will be e* then the number.for the normal engineer' report it is 150 + iva and visa from college less than 200 the vehicle has to he measured and inspected have you an email.or mobile for co
ntact

Like 0      
04 Jan 2014 8:55 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

the Certificate de Conformite issued by Fiat Auto (Belgio) states that Fiat Camionette Type 178EYP1A3B chassis number etc (Google translate) is entirely of the type described in the descriptive note contained in the application for registration identified by the Ministry of Communications and covered by the process-verbal authorization number U/01166...signed by Herve Aboab, Diorector General of Fiat.

When I google type 178EYP1A3B everything that comes up relates to my Fiat Strada pickup.

Thanks for all the help, Guy

foxenburg@hotmail.com

Like 0      
04 Jan 2014 9:40 PM by hinchliffe Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

The engineer will contact you soon

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

UK looks after the rest of the world - 23 posts
Same Sex Paedophilia Legal in Spain? - 6 posts
Money with menaces or just a joke? - 4 posts
Britain 'will be Europe's top economy by 2030' - 7 posts
San Javier Cycling Club , help please - 1 posts
Firefox V26.0... Bah, Humbug... Total rethink necessary... - 0 posts
Paying 600 euros cash to traffic police - 19 posts
ITV on a British car - 2 posts
For sale LHD Blue Seat Ibiza 1.4 Diesel 06 - 19 posts
Good year or good riddance? - 2 posts
For Sale of Seat Ibiza 06 1.4 Diesel - 3 posts
Where to eat in Spain - 1 posts
SPANISH POLICE BRUTALITY - 50 posts
Funny video thread! - 1 posts
Confused about the 'Big Switch Off?' - 4 posts
greeting to all of you! - 3 posts
I have a LHD Spanish plated car and want to swap for a UK RHD car - 0 posts
Capital gains tax - refund ? - 59 posts
Sales manager - 0 posts
How we change - 5 posts
Can son join police - 3 posts
Murcia Region No Business Licence Required - 1 posts
HI TOP LWB VAN DRIVING FROM UK TO SPAIN - 2 posts
Article in Daily Mail 13 December regarding new rules in renting out property in spain - 24 posts
Photobucket Woes... - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x