Article in Daily Mail 13 December regarding new rules in renting out property in spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Dec 2013 3:02 PM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

The article in the Daily Mail stated that  thousands of Britons with holiday homes in Spain and France could be prevented from renting them out to tourists. There are to be new regulations enforced from April 2014. A local licence amoungst various other checks and certificates at cost will be required.Fines of £15,000 levied.

I have a couple of bookings next year and now not sure if I should proceed as I believe all the certificates, checks, licences etc will be costly and may not be in place in time if in fact a licence would be granted anyway.

Has anyone got a view and can advise before I contact my lawyer?

Like 0      
18 Dec 2013 3:20 PM by Bookerhall Star rating in Mojon Hills. 27 posts Send private message

Im certainly no expert and don't know who or how this will be policed.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2013 3:35 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Please, let me see the article in Daily

Cheers!

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
18 Dec 2013 3:41 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2523474/Brits-holiday-homes-Spain-France-banned-renting-tourists.html

Like 0      
18 Dec 2013 5:17 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

This has been discussed under general chat "could impact on toursm"

Not sure how to post the link

It may be useful (or notsmiley)

Like 0      
18 Dec 2013 6:21 PM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

I suppose there's no figures but what percentage of holiday homes rent out? Just sitting on the fence but I can understand why hotels sre up in arms over this especially now due to the financial situations in spain. Is this just a storm in a teacup for maybe a minor few who have purchased homes that they could not afford to have bought without rental income.

Like 1      
18 Dec 2013 9:08 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar
Totally disagree with the last post ,many 10s of thousands have invested in overseas properties as an alternative to traditional style poor performing UK pension plans ,the result if effective will be devestating to many ,and of all the knock on effects to agents,cleaners,community funds,energy companies etc etc people will not travel to Spain but go to other more financially accesible places

Spain is a stupid ignorant country and getting worse by the day if it wasnt for the weather no one would go really

Hugh

Like 5      
18 Dec 2013 10:20 PM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

How can any one in there right mind use the argument of a house or flat in a foreign country replace a pension thats total nonsense and no financial advisers would recommend that as a way of earning money to replace a pension. And to say spain is an ignorant country is just very rude!

Like 3      
20 Dec 2013 1:48 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

From my reading of this article, nobody is saying you can't rent out a holiday home, just that you have to fulfil certain hygiene standards, allow inspections etc. I don't think any of that is going to sink the market. Having spent many holidays in rented villas over the years I have experienced the other side of the coin. Whereas I have been in many near-perfect dream houses, I have also been in several less desirable ones. These featured low standards of hygiene, sanitation etc or were not properly maintained, cleaned or equipped. Sometimes the description was also misleading or outright wrong and when we complained, the rental agency just found excuses rather than even attempting to fix anything. Anybody who thinks clamping down on individuals who try to make money out of such properties is somehow bad for the rental market as a whole is somehow missing the bigger picture. On the contrary, it is the toleration of these that is giving the whole rental market a bad name.

This message was last edited by amogles on 20/12/2013.

Like 4      
20 Dec 2013 2:13 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Excellent post amogles - agree with every word!!!     And who on earth would buy property in Spain to live off or replace a pension???   I am a landlord myself in the UK, and I have seen too many amateur buy to let so called landlords who do give the industry a terrible name with badly run property to have any sympathy at all with the band of ilegal landlords who are up in arms about a perfeclty reasonable proposal to regulate the industry and protect the holiday consumer.   If you could not afford it - you should not have bought it.  And the same goes for those hoping to make a quick buck in the UK and in the USA - sadly flooding back into the market again.  Just to add that the prices that some of these properties are let for, even in the peak season - they can't even be covering the cost of running the place without a mortgage.    Such a shame that these forums get taken over by stupid ignorant people with only self interest at heart.     

Like 3      
20 Dec 2013 3:00 PM by shrekito Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I don't think anyone was suggesting replacing their "pension income" with the income from a house in Spain but rather investing in a house in Spain rather than a "pension plan" as an opportunity to make a greater return.

With hindsight that would have been a very bad move if you needed to realise your investment after the global financial crisis and invested before it. However it might be a good time to invest in a house now if you have a good few years left before you retire - who knows - certainly not the financial advisors.

Regarding the thread - it really is a case of wait and see what the rules are and how much it would cost to get licensed - if its a small fee then most people will probably pay it - if its a large fee then many people may be forced out of the market or just allow friends and family to use the place.

Either way it could have a further negative impact on the price of properties from an owners perspective or very positive effect from a potential buyers perspective.

Michael

Like 2      
20 Dec 2013 8:48 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

Diversification is the key to financial independance and future security ,having a mixture of asset classes is the long term key a Spanish property as part of a well managed portfolio will do it no harm long term ,a traditional pension with say a UK insurer is funded by the individuals own taxed income,the beauty of any buy to let is it is funded by third party income UK ,Spain or any EU designated country and if run well with a reasonable business acumen will long term wash its face.

If it is your long term intention to retire in warmer climbs and be able to return to your family with relative ease then Spain is still a vote winner you just hope that the dumb goverment realise the value of overseas visitors and property owners alike before its to late.

And my FCA regulated financial adviser agrees with this and he is bound by law to give the best advice he tells me so who am I to argue

Love Hugh

This message was last edited by hughjardon on 20/12/2013.

Like 6      
21 Dec 2013 12:03 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

And theres the rub  :   'if run well with a reasonable business acumen'.    A lot - even most - house rentals in Spain by owners living in other countries are not  'run' at all. No license is obtained, no tax declared and adding little if anything to the Spanish economy.      And if there had been a bit of reasonable business acumen a lot would not find themselves worrying about either having to pay a bit more for inspections or give up a few holiday rentals!! You can either afford a property or you cannot.    I am not going to do down 'buy to let' - it is where my family have made most of their money, but that was before it stopped being a proper business and came to be seen as a way to a quick buck with the banks wading in with so called buy to let mortgatges which make it ever more difficult for established landlords to get a good deal business loan.  Any basic research would have shown that it is not easy to make money out of holiday lets, and that buying a house, especially abroad was going to be a bit of a punt - and should really only be a TINY bit of any pension planning, if it figures at all.   Top of my head - no more than 10%.     

Like 2      
21 Dec 2013 12:57 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

As I said in my post on the same subject well done to the Spanish Govt for clamping down on these type of lets. Strange how some people call the govt names when they are protecting those who rent and obtaining taxes from those  who make a profit.

In my experience those who criticise govts that introduce legislation such as this are often the ones in the wrongwink

How many people who are complaining would have a different view if an accident happened whilst renting one of these lets and found that there was no recourse etc or an owner who ended up with a big bill because renters caused a problem or had an accident whilst on the renters property? Without the proper insurance, safety equipment, licence etc who would be liable? I guess the owner

You can bet your bottom dollar that insurance companies would find a way to wriggle out of paying because of the lack of correct procedures etc

Hotels and legal landlords have the correct insurances, safety equipment, procedures and licences for this reason

Maybe this govt could also clamp down on the illegal taxi drivers, key holders etc at the same time for similar reasons

This message was last edited by Tadd1966 on 21/12/2013.

Like 4      
21 Dec 2013 2:58 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Tadd lot of sense in what you say.

Most private rental (for most read practically all) are not legal, thus even if they have insurance it will almost certainly not cover them if a tenant have an accident with is in any way the fault of the owner.

Mind you I have very doubt that the wellbeing of tenants is in the mind of the government if, and at present it is only if, they change to rental laws.

However, as I keep saying, the laws governing rentals now, if enforced, would mean practically no private rentals, and even many agency rentals, would disappear.

Like 2      
21 Dec 2013 7:40 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar
Why are we even debating this its again sensationalism journalism who ever believes anything in the mail anyway

If it happens fine if doesent still fine

Circle of concern Circle of Influence

Love Hugh and Stu
And what you dont all realise is the original poster was promoting there own property never returned to the thread to thank the responses we have all been mugged of.
This message was last edited by hughjardon on 21/12/2013.

Like 3      
21 Dec 2013 8:07 PM by Bookerhall Star rating in Mojon Hills. 27 posts Send private message

It's obviously a huge deal to those who sit and worry if their holiday makers have the aircon on past 1600hrs. Though refuse to pay for basic H&S regs, plus their taxes. Chill out all and bin your borrowed Daily Mail that you all refuse to pay the import price for. Much love Geoff and Andrew.

Like 1      
21 Dec 2013 8:09 PM by Bookerhall Star rating in Mojon Hills. 27 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by Bookerhall on 22/12/2013.

Like 1      
22 Dec 2013 12:29 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Why are we even debating this its again sensationalism journalism who ever believes anything in the mail anyway

Interesting to say the least, now if you don't believe sensationalism journalism in the Mail, I take it the TV news as well, along with all the other media news which is pretty much under the same category...Definitely not to be believed because it's all journalism.

Like 0      
22 Dec 2013 6:19 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

The Spanish Government are seen as incompetent when it comes down to organising and running there country personally you would need to be a fool to believe that, there is one thing that they are very good at and that is administering and handing out fines and I am sure when they start handing out 15,000 euro fines for illegal letting it will soon put a stop to it I will give you one piece of advice on how to avoid getting reported and that would be to not fall out with your next door neighbour.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 22/12/2013.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Photobucket Woes... - 5 posts
Spanish courts favours Polaris World - not the consumer - 11 posts
Firearms training in Mojacar / Aguilas area - 4 posts
BBC news coverage of consumer problems when purchasing in Spain - 12 posts
Hacienda Tax Demands - 13 posts
THEFT OR 'BORROWED' - 15 posts
Telephone/Internet Service Providers/Costa Del Sol - 1 posts
Another blow for Spain - 13 posts
Satellite Receive for all European Channels - 17 posts
WHAT DO I NEED ? - 7 posts
Could impact on tourism - 23 posts
Costaluz Lawyers came through for me against BP/Aliseda - 20 posts
Euro Vegas Bites The Dust - 0 posts
Volunteers wanted in Orihuela Costa, Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Another Costaluz victory! - 16 posts
Is Spain Shit or Are we Poor Judges - 9 posts
Minutes go agm - 0 posts
holiday rental- owner responsibility - 1 posts
Income tax on UK State pensions in Spain - 30 posts
Does it feel like Christmas where you are? - 0 posts
NEW! Granada Appeal Court greatly applying Law 57/68 - 47 posts
Unemployment in Spain down, or is it ? - 4 posts
Storage? - 3 posts
driving a moped / scooter - 2 posts
Financial monsters, Financial killers. Good for Brussels - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x