Confused about the 'Big Switch Off?'

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Dec 2013 7:20 PM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar

To try and demystify the techincal terms people are banding about during the 'what if', I have written this piece.

I hope it is useful.

http://livinginsouthernspaincostadelsol.blogspot.com.es/2013/12/thebig-switch-off-thepossibility-of.html

Like 2      
24 Dec 2013 9:49 AM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Susan, very interesting post, it appears that the general opinion is ‘wait and see’ so that is what we will have to do. If it transpires that satellite systems do become extinct and the internet becomes the main option for receiving UK television – the main question is, Would Spain’s systems be able to cope with the huge demand it would impose?

Like 1      
25 Dec 2013 12:07 PM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar

WoodBug... as far as I know (from my friends in the satellite installation industry), SKY will still be available no matter what happens. It is just the 'Freesat' of BBC/ITV (i.e the popular channels we all like) will POSSIBLY be removed. (Unless sky can broker a deal?) So yes.. Internet TV (IPTV) will become the norm (many are talking of this as the future of TV anyway.. however, as we know, the infrastructure is way behind UK/other parts of Europe, so it is likely to be a 'long time comin' as the song goes.)

Re the increase in demand on the system... (ADSL)... We still don't know!

Movistar already offer internet TV as a standard package, (and guarantees uninterupted viewing?) But of course if there is no fiber optic option in the first place, and the download speeds are awful in the first place - they usually refuse a client rather than have problems later.

Will be intersting to see what happens! 

Like 0      
25 Dec 2013 7:43 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Be aware that Susanspain is purely talking about the Costa del Sol and those who receive channels via a Sky receiver.  There is no chance of freesat channels being taken off the satellite, Sky contracts or not.  Sky does not own the satellite nor does it even operate it, it simply rents part of it the same as freesat does. Yes, the footprint may be narrower but the footprint posted by SES (who do own the satellite SES/Astra) shows no difference between the current satellite and the new one possibly coming in February.  The consensus is that those who are receiving the signals from the current satellite and can get Ch5 and Ch4 HD will continue to receive the same channels after the switch over which, for most on the Costa Blanca to the Costa Calida is all of us providing your dish is large enough.  Those who get the freesat channels without the Ch5 and Ch4 HD may need to up the size of the satellite dish although a 1.4m dish on the Costa Blanca appears sufficient.

You do not need a Sky box of any description to get freesat.  A freesat receiver in UK can be bought for about £50 or thereabouts and will pick up the current freesat channels in Spain if your dish is large enough.  We have a 1.4 m dish, a Sagecom HD freesat receiver connected with HDMI and get all the channels all the time.  They do not drop out at certain times of the day or night although the HD channels can lose the picture in bad weather.  If we get a really severe storm, the other channels can go as well but that happens in UK as well.

So there is no chance of the freesat channels disappearing from the new satellite. Internet TV can be recieved with a 2Mb connection but tends to buffer rather a lot.  We have a 3Mb connection and get filmon with no buffering but have not tried their HD (subscription) service.  Broadcast IPTV are already offering a 6Mb service and Movistar claims 10Mmb with a landline.  There are companies installing fibre optic, Ono is already offering 20 to 50Mb on its fibre optic service but this is not yet available to everyone.  

I shouldn't imagine Spain would have any problem coping with the demand.  With about 800,000 Brits living in Spain (but less than 500,000 households) even if everyone used it then it would cope very easily. Also remember that UK, whilst ahead of Spain, has only been so just recently. Broadband speeds in UK in 2009 was 4.1Mb and in 2010 was 5Mb.  It was only in the middle of 2010 that speeds of 10Mb were achieved and the super fast ones are a relatively new thing but still not available to all in UK.  Remember, the "up to" claims of broadband speeds means it can be anything depending on the connection, distance from exchange, quality of cable etc.  When we left UK 3 years ago my "up to" 10Mb speed was only achieving 4Mb with BT.  Spain will catch up but doesn't seem to have the high demand that UK does.  

So, Merry Christmas everybody, keep calm and don't panic.  You'll still get Corrers and Strictly Come X Talent on Ice one way or the other.

Edited to add:

Yes, I do know that Susanspain was talking about the current free to air channels received through a Sky box but the post seems to imply that all freesat would be taken off.  With so many people in UK cancelling their Sky subscriptions due to cost, they would be scoring a massive own goal if they took off the current channels.  Just pointing out that Sky is not the be all and end all of UK TV in Spain which you shouldn't even be taking out a subscription for anyway as it is against their T&Cs.  

This message was last edited by mariedav on 25/12/2013.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2014 8:07 AM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

The topic becomes even more confusing, when you can now mix satellite & IPTV with a single set top box. 

www.televisiontechnology.eu - Satellite TV, network telecomms, IPTV & community support.

www.facebook.com/televisiontechnology

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

greeting to all of you! - 3 posts
I have a LHD Spanish plated car and want to swap for a UK RHD car - 0 posts
Capital gains tax - refund ? - 59 posts
Sales manager - 0 posts
How we change - 5 posts
Can son join police - 3 posts
Murcia Region No Business Licence Required - 1 posts
HI TOP LWB VAN DRIVING FROM UK TO SPAIN - 2 posts
Article in Daily Mail 13 December regarding new rules in renting out property in spain - 24 posts
Photobucket Woes... - 5 posts
Spanish courts favours Polaris World - not the consumer - 11 posts
Firearms training in Mojacar / Aguilas area - 4 posts
BBC news coverage of consumer problems when purchasing in Spain - 12 posts
Hacienda Tax Demands - 13 posts
THEFT OR 'BORROWED' - 15 posts
Telephone/Internet Service Providers/Costa Del Sol - 1 posts
Another blow for Spain - 13 posts
Satellite Receive for all European Channels - 17 posts
WHAT DO I NEED ? - 7 posts
Could impact on tourism - 23 posts
Costaluz Lawyers came through for me against BP/Aliseda - 20 posts
Euro Vegas Bites The Dust - 0 posts
Volunteers wanted in Orihuela Costa, Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Another Costaluz victory! - 16 posts
Is Spain Shit or Are we Poor Judges - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x