Can son join police

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Dec 2013 2:52 PM by deesam56 Star rating in Stafford. 31 posts Send private message

thinking of moving over soon but will have a 16 year old who would have just left school. In UK he wants to train for police force at college. In Spain can a person from UK join police force or be a translator in the force maybe?  he is dead set on beig a police officer and i do not want to move over if his ambition s not fulfilled

Like 0      
19 Dec 2013 3:04 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

thinking of moving over soon but will have a 16 year old who would have just left school. In UK he wants to train for police force at college. In Spain can a person from UK join police force or be a translator in the force maybe?  he is dead set on beig a police officer and i do not want to move over if his ambition s not fulfilled

Send a message to Johnzx, he said he was a copper in the UK, and says he is now a translator for the cops  in Spain.

Like 0      
19 Dec 2013 3:39 PM by semo Star rating in Ireland. 84 posts Send private message

Not sure about the translator but a neighbour of mine told me he was not able to join the guarda civil as he had not been a serving policeman in his own country - England.  He has since returned home with the intention of joining the police force in the UK and then returning to Spain after the necessary time (he didn't mention how long he needed to serve).

Like 0      
19 Dec 2013 4:43 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I don't see why a UK national couldn't be a policeman in Spain in theory.

However, in practice I would say it's almost impossible.  You would need fluent spoken and written Spanish.  Also, for any functionario job like this in Spain, you have to sit a super competitive entry exam called the oposiciones.  With unemployment at 26% and youth unemployment at nearly 60%, there are a lot of people studying for these exams.  I know people who have studied for years and years to try and get a functionario job but have failed because of the competition.

Sadly, a functionario job is a dream job for most Spaniards as they are the only jobs that are secure these days.

I think your 16 year old son is best off becoming a policeman in the UK...

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Murcia Region No Business Licence Required - 1 posts
HI TOP LWB VAN DRIVING FROM UK TO SPAIN - 2 posts
Article in Daily Mail 13 December regarding new rules in renting out property in spain - 24 posts
Photobucket Woes... - 5 posts
Spanish courts favours Polaris World - not the consumer - 11 posts
Firearms training in Mojacar / Aguilas area - 4 posts
BBC news coverage of consumer problems when purchasing in Spain - 12 posts
Hacienda Tax Demands - 13 posts
THEFT OR 'BORROWED' - 15 posts
Telephone/Internet Service Providers/Costa Del Sol - 1 posts
Another blow for Spain - 13 posts
Satellite Receive for all European Channels - 17 posts
WHAT DO I NEED ? - 7 posts
Could impact on tourism - 23 posts
Costaluz Lawyers came through for me against BP/Aliseda - 20 posts
Euro Vegas Bites The Dust - 0 posts
Volunteers wanted in Orihuela Costa, Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Another Costaluz victory! - 16 posts
Is Spain Shit or Are we Poor Judges - 9 posts
Minutes go agm - 0 posts
holiday rental- owner responsibility - 1 posts
Income tax on UK State pensions in Spain - 30 posts
Does it feel like Christmas where you are? - 0 posts
NEW! Granada Appeal Court greatly applying Law 57/68 - 47 posts
Unemployment in Spain down, or is it ? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x