Starting a scooter hire business

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Sep 2013 7:49 PM by spainagogo Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

First- Hello to you all!

Me and my wife would really like to move to Spain next year, far south with good expat and large tourist. Although im a trained plumber and can do all the trades ( i used to teach them in my training centre),we would like to start a moped hire biz. I know countless others must have said this but like most people, there is a lot of talk and very little action. I very much intend to see this through as long as it can work.

I know i need professional legal advice but need to start somewhere. Any help with the following would be so helpful, thankyou!

1, Is there any type of permission i need to run such a business?

2, Is the process of starting up such a business a lengthy process?

3, I will be importing the scooters from China, whats the relative costs for this? Do I get slapt for 100% import tax or the like??

3, What would be the best area for both expat community to make new friends and for greatest footfall from tourists, as we are talking scooters we are probably talking a younger age group. Having said this I would consider car hire.

Please, any advice would be so appreciated.

Kind regards!

Like 0      
23 Sep 2013 2:17 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

1, Is there any type of permission i need to run such a business? No specific one. Registering as an autonomo or SL, get registered at the Tax office and Hiring the corresponding civil liability insurances

2, Is the process of starting up such a business a lengthy process? It is not. 24hours with the new Express License which will enter into force very soon.

3, I will be importing the scooters from China, whats the relative costs for this? Do I get slapt for 100% import tax or the like??

It will depend on number of scooters, but as a general answer:

- Transport 200-500€
- Expenses in Spain Harbour: 400-800€
-Customs clearance: 120-400€
-Customs duty: 6%
- Taxes: 16% VAT plus 4% of equivalence surcharge

3, What would be the best area for both expat community to make new friends and for greatest footfall from tourists, as we are talking scooters we are probably talking a younger age group. Having said this I would consider car hire.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
23 Sep 2013 8:17 PM by spainagogo Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thankyou for that, Would it be costly for someone such as yourself to arrage all the paperwork for me and my wife to do all this and everything else to do with moving and buying a property in Spain?

Like 0      
24 Sep 2013 7:39 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

I think you would need to settle on a very touristy area as that would be probably be the your main source of income. From national tourists and international tourists. so you you will need to study carefully the competition and seasons.

this is the tourist stats page for Spain on tourism - it might help narrow down the choice. 

http://www.iet.turismoencifras.es

From my experience the balearic islands are very successful when it comes to scooter rentals as the young travel without cars and its the cheapest form of transport around the islands. Howevver you will have work out how you will get a slice of the action as competition is agressive.

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
24 Sep 2013 4:38 PM by spainagogo Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks Ian!

We really want to stay on mainland spain due to distance from UK and property prices. I understand what you mean by tourists but is there nowhere say on Costa Del Sol that would fit the bill? Its also very important that there are a good amount of uk expats nearby so we can make friends along with the Spanish. 

On another note, I work as a chimney sweep and stove installer at the moment, im also a good qualified plumber, would it be any easier for me to earn a living doing this? Any help you can give would be great.

Again thanks.

Like 0      
24 Sep 2013 5:23 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Non resident cif number - 26 posts
Press fit plumbing systems - 4 posts
Rental Investment - Apartment or Villa? - 3 posts
changing windows 7 language - 6 posts
Goldcar – even more ways to get us to part with our money. - 1 posts
Latest update Astra 20-09-2013 - 1 posts
Water Fines - 2 posts
PVA bonding - repairing a badly rendered wall - 1 posts
Planning permission - 9 posts
Things to know before moving to Spain - 2 posts
UK TV channels in Spain. - 17 posts
A host of questions - 41 posts
car age - 7 posts
Linkedin..... opinions welcome - 5 posts
210 TAX FORM ON LINE - 24 posts
sports bar - 0 posts
Revoking Power of Attorney - 19 posts
Are all the Banka Banks in Southern Spain Closing? - 8 posts
The simple solution to the Bank Guarantee Abuse - 21 posts
About a roof: to pitch or not to pitch - 9 posts
changing car ownership - 0 posts
Wanted Spanish property P/X - 0 posts
Astra 2E launch delayed....again... - 1 posts
Returning Resident Cert - 3 posts
Tribal Price Lists - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x