Those Who Live in Glass Houses......

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Sep 2013 4:13 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

One of my neighbours had a bit of a spat with another neighbour about boundaries - they made a complaint to the president and it all got a bit silly.

However the neighbour who started this dispute has now had a denuncia raised as the other neighbour knew they were doing illegal taxis, key holding, cleaning, claiming UK child benefit for over 7 years whilst living in Spain, still have UK driving licences etc etc etc.

The police having to follow up on the denucia have now started a full fiscal investigation on both husband and wife, they have asked for full UK and Spanish bank account details, evidence of ALL income and ALL outgoings including utility bill payments, mortgage, standing orders, school books, credit card statements, proof of major purchases, school records, NIE, residencia, padron, SIP card, details of when they arrived in spain and details of "visits" back to UK - they are very worried

Just goes to show keep you own business to yourself (illegal or not) and be very careful who you upset no matter how trivial as some people can be very malicious

and

do not throw stones whilst living in a glass houses..................

Like 1      
08 Sep 2013 4:25 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

It's one way of flushing out tax dodgers;It would be interesting to know how many expats could stand up to such scrutiny and come up smelling of roses;not many, I bet.

Why didn't the one undergoing the investigation turn the tables on his neighbour? Bet he wasn't squeaky clean, either!

Like 1      
08 Sep 2013 5:03 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

camposol you are probably correct that many would not stand up to that scrutiny and yes it is way to flush out tax dodgers but not nice

I do feel for them as they are trying to raise their family the best way they can and they are now very worried about what may happen

The neighbours who rasied the denuncia are a retired couple so i doubt they are doing much wrong but you never know.......

Like 1      
08 Sep 2013 7:37 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

Well we must defend the tax dodgers in Spain as Spain is not short of cash. The U,K, NOW, get the tax dodgers there by all means. Duel standerds ?

Like 0      
09 Sep 2013 2:06 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

What do you mean "defend the tax dodgers?"-Our taxes are raised to make up for those who don't pay theirs!

Like 0      
09 Sep 2013 3:42 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

What do you mean "defend the tax dodgers?"-Our taxes are raised to make up for those who don't pay theirs!

Know exactly where your coming from, our TV  license is raised almost every year in the UK so that Brits in Spain can watch the TV programmes made with our license money for.......free.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2013 7:33 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

Baz1946 nit picking it's called

Like 1      
09 Sep 2013 8:42 PM by OMARELL Star rating in Baldock Hertfordshir.... 47 posts Send private message

Im still paying my TV license, I am entitle to watch BBC

Like 1      
09 Sep 2013 9:47 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Some are under the impression that if you caught all the tax dodgers then their taxes' would go down...Deluded.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2013 8:36 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Illegal taxis and cheating the benefit system in the Uk. And you feel sorry for them????

Like 0      
10 Sep 2013 9:41 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Everyone dodges taxes'...And I mean everyone, somehow, at sometime, everyone has not paid the full correct amount of tax, even if its down to doing a small job cash in hand, or buying something with no receipt,  Doctors / Lawyers / Politicians, you name it they all do it, just the same as everybody else does, and has done past or present.

Like it or not if you pay the correct amount of tax and your in business, in the early days you will fail sooner or later, if you fiddle some tax and it keeps your business afloat, and people in work, then do it.

Cheating the benefit system is another story and it's a whole lot bigger then anyone really knows about, and wont / cant ever be stopped.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2013 10:00 AM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

you seem to think all on benefit must cheat or your sums would not add up. So it's fine if you make a profit and cheat is it? the tax that's avoided and  evaded amounnts to far more than is paid out in benefit.

by the way, is it ok with you baz if I take my state pension while living in Spain

Like 1      
10 Sep 2013 11:19 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

you seem to think all on benefit must cheat or your sums would not add up. So it's fine if you make a profit and cheat is it? the tax that's avoided and  evaded amounnts to far more than is paid out in benefit.

by the way, is it ok with you baz if I take my state pension while living in Spain

You know what sooner or later someone on this forum is going to read another posters posts correctly and get to understand the post and whats written.

NO     I don't not think everyone on benefits are cheats and I didn't even mention anything like that.

And even you must have heard of someone cheating the benefit system while another person who quite rightly should have the help and payments cant get any, if you don't then you must live in a very sheltered glory glory land.

Fact...A chap I know lives on benefits, his so called wife also, large council house, no rent, no rates, probably no service bills to pay either,  3..yes 3..cars, one provided for by the state, she does car boot sales somewhere most of the week, except when going to claim, she hasn't worked for the past 16 years since she found out how to fiddle the system...Him, says he rents a room in the house, last year he had 5/6 fortnight and longer holidays with friends in Spain, walks with a stick in the Uk, don't in Spain, bad shoulder in the Uk, not in Spain…, says, and it's his words.... 'I worked for 30 years so I am only getting back whats rightfully mine'.....They cheat the system wholesale as much as they can.

Fact....A friends Mum with MS and bad hips gets very little help because at the moment she can painfully get about, when she went for extra help the questions she was asked disgusted her so apart from the basic help she wont ask anymore....She don't cheat the system, or get any care.

All the major companies like the one's you have heard of lately that pay no tax in the UK are doing it legally, the tax system in place lets them, change the system and they pay more, if they payed vast sums of tax how many people do you think they would sack to cover the paid tax.  Agree or not, right or wrong, they all employ many thousands who have work, pay tax, spend money.

The amount of legal tax that is avoided is minimal to the amount of benefits paid out to the benefit  fiddlers because this figure is almost unknown. What is known is that it takes about 10 tax paying workers to keep one person on benefits, genuine benefits or not? If all the fiddlers were found out and stopped it might only take 5 workers.

If you have been in business and have run a business..(Which no doubt you will say you have done)...then you should know what I meant about fiddling a bit of tax to keep your business operating and people in work as I said 'In the early days'.

The amount of illegal tax that is not payed is also small, because as a rule the person who dont pay this tax generally spends it on say a meal or nights out, new clothes etc etc, with cash, so somewhere tax is paid.

Is it okay if you take your state pension while in Spain....What a stupid thing to say, you worked for this (I presume) all your life to get this pension, just because it's now known as a benefit by the government don't make it come under the cloak of people fiddling benefits. 

Like 0      
10 Sep 2013 12:52 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Well that's spot-on Baz. Could have written it myself.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 1      
10 Sep 2013 1:50 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Baz1946

If you know someone who is cheating the system, as quoted in your post, then as an upright citizen it is your duty to notify the relevant authorities of this blatant theft of public funds. If you do not then, surely, you are just as guilty as the thief for not doing anything about it except posting on here.

I will appologise in advance if you have reported this chap that you know and withdraw my comment above.

Will I have to eat my words?

Answers in a plain brown envelope please

Like 1      
10 Sep 2013 2:03 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I didn't just post it on here to have it known, it was only done in response to another posters comments, yes I do know someone and plenty of others who are cheating the system bigtime, and I fully understand that doing nothing could make me out to be as guilty, but I come from an era where no matter what,.... you dont snitch, and god knows I could, as one of my Son-in-Laws brother and wife are Social Security Fraud Inspectors, and trust me listening to them about some of the cases they work on for a year to eighteen months only to be dropped at the last moment is scary....And so very wrong.

Sorry no answer in a brown envolope as I buy all mine from a chap, who gets them off the back of a lorry....Tax free.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2013 2:24 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

Baz, we seem to be thinking the same way with the benefit  fiddle,  but in my opinion the tax dodgers cost far more, which ever way they dodge it they are guilty of theft  and I my self have been guilty of  the tax thing that's how bussiness thrives but having a concience I did not stay in the game very long and I can sleep at night

Like 1      
10 Sep 2013 2:57 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Exactly haydngj, if you put money and time into something, employ people, you have a duty of care, no matter how big or small, how and when you decide enough is enough it only decided by yourself, all fiddles one way or the other are illegal and wrong, no doubt, one thing that gets all my business friends is, do i agree with this statement?. 'Why should I work my balls of to give taxes over so some idiot MP can keep his mistress and house's going tax free'.

These benefit fiddlers I truly don't agree with, but apart from snitching what to do?

Like 1      
13 Sep 2013 1:01 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

understand anyone trying to keep food on the table and a roof over there head but I am not sure of  the limits of when to snitch or not.

What is your level when would you snitch on another person and what do you turn a blind eye to

Like 2      
13 Sep 2013 1:34 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

understand anyone trying to keep food on the table and a roof over there head but I am not sure of  the limits of when to snitch or not.

What is your level when would you snitch on another person and what do you turn a blind eye to

For me thats a very hard question to answer, I just cant snitch, it's not my way of doing things.

Many things I wont turn a blind eye to but then I usually confront the person head on.

For one thing you have to be 100% squeaky clean yourself, and how many of us are if push come to shove?  Like the post says 'People who live in glass house's'.

Like 2      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Resident or not - 4 posts
Gateway To India - Roldan, Murcia - 0 posts
Pension Parity Makes Economic Sense - 1 posts
Any computer boffs out there? - 3 posts
Will the Internet ever get full - 2 posts
pool and gardener wanted. - 0 posts
Peter - 3 posts
CFPB concerned about reverse mortgag-es - 0 posts
best place to buy beach chairs and parasol in or near Los Alcazares - 0 posts
spanish postal service - 1 posts
Part time kitchen helper required - 0 posts
Waitress required. English as a first language. Fuengirola area - 0 posts
Spanish digital tv - 4 posts
gestor help - 3 posts
Tours - 5 posts
spainish sip card - 7 posts
Registering for healthcare - 3 posts
Spanish court suspends demolition of British couples home pending appeal to ECHR - 45 posts
Easyjet flights till 15/6/2014 are out this morning - 2 posts
Administration/Bankruptcy - 9 posts
Exchange Spanish car to a UK car - 1 posts
Are you going back to the UK? Wanting to? - 0 posts
When it comes to buying a property, whose side is the agent on? - 24 posts
Any Members of Eye on Spain who own/rent on Sol de Mar 1, Playa Flamenca? - 0 posts
bonjela - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 38

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x