health care for pensioner

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Mar 2013 10:51 AM by campogirl Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi

I am new on this site and my name is Dorothy. 

I need advise on getting health care in Spain. I am a pensioner and have been permanently here for nearly seven months.  My husband for 3 months. We have not needed to use them but have UK holiday health cards.  As a UK pensioner we can get health care here and cheaper medications.  The problem is that the mayor of our village will not give us a Padro. 

When we bought 10 years ago there was a different mayor and we had no problems.  We only came out for holidays so never had any health issues.  Our house is on a campo and we were not told of any problem associated with it.  Now there is a new mayor and he is refusing to give us (and about a dozen other people) a Padron because we are not living in the village.  It took someone I know about 15 minutes to get a Padro from her mayor in the village adjacent to us.

I have been in touch with an online solicitor who says the Mayor has a right to refuse a Padron,  but I believe legally I should be applying for a residency as I have not been back to the UK for six months.   I have been told to go to the social security office in our nearest town and ask them if they will issue a health card, but I would appreciate it if anyone has had a similar problem, if you could let me know how (if you did) resolve the problem.

It seems as if I am now illegal but do not know what to do.  I can't believe that being an EU citizen, he can refuse.  I really need a health card as I have had cancer in the past and want to be sure I can get help if I need it in the future.  He just seems to dislike us Brits and we are at his mercy.

Any advise would be gratefully received.

This message was last edited by campogirl on 09/03/2013.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 1:03 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Dorothy and welcome to the forum.

It would be helpful if you gave your area, as the rules vary in different areas.  Some ask for the Padron first and some ask you to register as a resident first.  In this area (Orihuela) you apply in the town hall for the municipality, not the individual village, and they are keen to have more people on the Padron because they get extra funding for each person.

You are entitled to be on the Padron if you own a legal house and live here, so don't give up!

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 2:51 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Claire

You are entitled to be on the Padron if you own a legal house and live here, so don't give up!

That is not 100% correct.

In Spain one is legally obliged to register on the Padron if they live in an area.   It has nothing to do with owning property, but place of residence.

Campogirl

If one lives in Spain permanently for three months (or intends to do so)  they are obliged to register on the EU Citizens Register, or if from outside the EU to obtain Residencia Status.

A person living in Spain (not a tourist) is not permitted to use the European Health Card. They must either register on the Social Security system, if able, or obtain private cover.

Contact the DWP Overseas Branch (+44 191 218 1999) for advice in your particular case,

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 2:56 PM by LiJohn Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi Dorothy.

We are pensioners and moved over here a year ago. I informed the dhss of our intentions and they sent us a S1 form which transfers your healthcare from the UK to Spain, all very straight forward. We have never been on the padron but are residents of Spain, we used a very good translator who sorted everything out for us, or have you considered using a solicitor to help you out. It's just getting around the paper work and red tape that Spain is so well known for. Good luck :)

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 3:02 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Dorothy, you need to sign on the foreigners register, then ring DWP in Newcastle to get the form to apply for free medical care. After that you will need to go to the social security office with all your documents, NIE, padron, passport etc. Eventually you will receive a medical card. Your UK EHIC cards cannot be used for care here as you live here for over 7 months. They are only for holiday makers who need emergency care. Once you are on the Spanish system you can apply to DWP for an EHIC card which can be used when you go back to the UK for a visit, or rest of Europe (except Spain), as you are now no longer elgible for NHS care,which is residence based, even if you have a property in the UK.

Don't forget you must register on the Spanish tax system,  as you now have to pay income tax on all your income from UK,  pensions, savings income etc. If you have a crown pension (military, civil servant etc)  tax on that is only payable in UK. WE have a new bugbear to contend with now, declaring your assets outside Spain in minute detail, but you won't have to worry about that till next year.

If I were you, I'd spend 5 months in Spain not 7-that way you would stay on the NHS and avoid Spanish income tax, although as non resident you would still have 2 non resident taxes to pay yearly.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 3:25 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

If I were you, I'd spend 5 months in Spain not 7-that way you would stay on the NHS and avoid Spanish income tax, although as non resident you would still have 2 non resident taxes to pay yearly.

This needs to be qualified as it not 100% correct as written. I will leave it to you Camposol, to clarify it.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 3:30 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Johnx- I thought it was clear-Of course I meant that if you lived  in Spain for 5 months you could stay on the UK NHS. Was that what you were  getting at?

Lijohn I am interested to know why you are not on the padron, as residents.Also,  the expense of a a solicitor is not necessary when obtaining  the medical card, but there are plenty of services advertised if you need help with the foreigners register.

This message was last edited by camposol on 09/03/2013.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 3:43 PM by campogirl Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Thanks for your replies.

We are in Ginestar which is near Mora D Ebra.

If I am legally required to register with the EU register, how do I do it without a Padron.  Without the mayor giving us a padron what can we do to get health care.  I am totally confused.

Someone suggested I go to a solicitor.  But it was a Spanish Solicitor who told me the Mayor does not have to give us a padron.

LiJohn, how did you get your health card without the Padron.  From everything I have been told we must have one.  I already have an S1 form, NIE and of course passport.  Do you think I could ask the social security without a Padron, perhaps play dumb and see what they say?

What's even worse is that we have to go through this again for my husband who came out in December and is 65 at the end of March.

Jonzx, I tried to get registered at our town hall for a Padron last November, but if the mayor won't let us, who is breaking the law?  Does it mean we have to go back to England or move to a place with a more considerate mayor.  My friend who got her padron in 15 minutes from her mayor in the next village, actually lives in our village, has been for 8 months, renting until they have their house built on their land.  The mayor would not even let her have a padron because her land was not in Ginestar even though she was living in Ginestar.

As for living in Spain for 5 months, we came here because of the cost of living in England and do not have a house there, so that is a no no, unles we completely sell up and go back permanently, which we do not want to do.  We love it hear, but things like this are really offputting.

Any more help. would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 3:54 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Dorothy, can I be nosey and ask how you live in UK  for 5 months if you have no house. I don't see how the Mayor can refuse a padron if you can prove you live here.

Do you live in a little village? Would the next town near you, if bigger, register you on the padron as you may still be in the same municipality.

Make sure you find out about all the different costs associated with living in Spain, as they all add up, and Spain isn't a lot cheaper than UK. Sorry to bombard you with info about tax, but it's better you find out now than get into a mess later.

The decision to live in Spain is huge -just make sure you do your research!

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 4:00 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Camposol

If one spends three months permanently in Spain, then they must register on the EU Citizens Register.  (I know some disagree, but as far as Hacienda are concerned, they are then tax resident)

If they spend a total of 183 days in 12 months in Spain, or of their main home, or centre of activities are here,  then they are tax resident in Spain.    And then they must pay tax on their worldwide income with the exception you quoted, and income from UK letting (which some say is also taxable in Spain)..

The EHC is for visitors not for those who live here.

Campogirl

Go to the town hall and insist that you register on the Padron. If they refuse ask for the complaints form and complete it.

This is the list of Documents required to Register on EU Citizen's Register,  No mention of the Cert of Empadronamiento

DOCUMENTACIÓN ACREDITATIVA PARA CERTIFICADO DE REGISTRO

1. Copia de pasaporte o documento nacional de identidad, válido y en vigor, del solicitante o copia de los mismos caducados y de la solicitud de renovación. 2. Tasa pagada (10.30 euros)
3. Los documentos que a continuación se detallan según los casos:
TRABAJADOR CUENTA AJENA.- Uno de los siguientes documentos: - Declaración de contratación del empleador

Incluyendo nombre de la empresa, C.I.F. de la empresa, Código Cuenta Cotización en la SS de la empresa.
- Certificado de empleo

- Contrato de trabajo registrado en el S.P. Empleo - Alta en la SS

O bien consentimiento para la comprobación de datos en los ficheros de la Tesorería General de la Seguridad Social.

TRABAJADOR CUENTA PROPIA.- Uno de los siguientes documentos:

- Inscripción en el censo de actividades económicas.
-              Inscripción del establecimiento mercantil en el Registro Mercantil. - Alta en la SS

O bien consentimiento para la comprobación de datos en los ficheros de la Tesorería General de la Seguridad Social.

NO TRABAJA.- Todos los documentos siguientes:

- Seguro de enfermedad con cobertura durante su período de residencia equivalente a la proporcionada por el Sistema Nacional de Salud (pensionistas será suficiente con documento que acredite que tienen derecho a asistencia con cargo al Estado que le paga la pensión).
- Prueba de recursos suficientes (mínimo 5.007,81 euros)

ESTUDIANTES.
­Posibilidad 1:
·         Matrícula
·         Seguro de enfermedad o tarjeta sanitaria europea válida durante todo el período de residencia.
·         Declaración de que posee recursos suficientes.

Posibilidad 2:
Acreditación de ser participante en UE de intercambio educativo

ENGLISH TRANSLATION (by Bing)
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION FOR CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION
1. Copy of passport or national identity card, valid and in force, of the applicant or copy of the same expired and the application for renewal. 2 Rate paid (10.30 euros) xx
3. The documents listed below as appropriate:
WORKER employed-one of the following documents:-20th employer recruitment statement

Including company name, CIF of the company code account trading on the SS of the company.
-Certificate of employment
-Contract work registered in the employment S.P. - high in the SS
Either consent to the verification of data in the files of the General Treasury of the Social Security.

WORKER, self employed .-    one of the following documents:
-Registration on the Census of economic activities.
-Registration of the mercantile establishment in the mercantile registry. -High in the SS

Either consent to the verification of data in the files of the General Treasury of the Social Security.

NOT working.-all of the following documents:

-Health coverage during their period of residence equivalent to that provided by the national system of health insurance (pensioners will be sufficient to document that certifies they are entitled to assistance with charge to the State which pays the pension).
-Proof of sufficient resources (minimum 5.007,81 EUR)

ESTUDIANTES.
Possibility 1:

• Registration
• Insurance of sickness or European health insurance card valid throughout the period of residence.
Declaration that he has sufficient financial resources.

Possibility 2:
Accreditation to be member in EU educational exchange
DOCUMENTACIÓN ACREDITATIVA PARA CERTIFICADO DE REGISTRO

1. Copia de pasaporte o documento nacional de identidad, válido y en vigor, del solicitante o copia de los mismos caducados y de la solicitud de renovación. 2. Tasa pagada (10.30 euros)
3. Los documentos que a continuación se detallan según los casos:
TRABAJADOR CUENTA AJENA.- Uno de los siguientes documentos: - Declaración de contratación del empleador

Incluyendo nombre de la empresa, C.I.F. de la empresa, Código Cuenta Cotización en la SS de la empresa.
- Certificado de empleo

- Contrato de trabajo registrado en el S.P. Empleo - Alta en la SS

TRABAJADOR CUENTA PROPIA.- Uno de los siguientes documentos:

- Inscripción en el censo de actividades económicas.
-              Inscripción del establecimiento mercantil en el Registro Mercantil. - Alta en la SS

NO TRABAJA.- Todos los documentos siguientes:

- Seguro de enfermedad con cobertura durante su período de residencia equivalente a la proporcionada por el Sistema Nacional de Salud (pensionistas será suficiente con documento que acredite que tienen derecho a asistencia con cargo al Estado que le paga la pensión).
- Prueba de recursos suficientes (mínimo 5.007,81 euros)

ESTUDIANTES.
­Posibilidad 1:
·         Matrícula
·         Seguro de enfermedad o tarjeta sanitaria europea válida durante todo el período de residencia.
·         Declaración de que posee recursos suficientes.

Posibilidad 2:
Acreditación de ser participante en UE de intercambio educativo

ENGLISH TRANSLATION (by Bing)
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION FOR CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION
1. Copy of passport or national identity card, valid and in force, of the applicant or copy of the same expired and the application for renewal. 2 Rate paid (10.30 euros) xx
3. The documents listed below as appropriate:
WORKER employed-one of the following documents:-20th employer recruitment statement

Including company name, CIF of the company code account trading on the SS of the company.
-Certificate of employment
-Contract work registered in the employment S.P. - high in the SS

WORKER, self employed .-    one of the following documents:
-Registration on the Census of economic activities.
-Registration of the mercantile establishment in the mercantile registry. -High in the SS

NOT working.-all of the following documents:

-Health coverage during their period of residence equivalent to that provided by the national system of health insurance (pensioners will be sufficient to document that certifies they are entitled to assistance with charge to the State which pays the pension).
-Proof of sufficient resources (minimum 5.007,81 EUR)

ESTUDIANTES.
Possibility 1:

• Registration
• Insurance of sickness or European health insurance card valid throughout the period of residence.
Declaration that he has sufficient financial resources.

Possibility 2:
Accreditation to be member in EU educational exchange

This message was last edited by johnzx on 09/03/2013.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 4:10 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

johnx there is much confusion about the  EHIC card.  if you live in the UK you have an EHIC card for emergency  use in any European country except the UK.Once you are resident here  in Spain,you can request an EHIC  card from the DWP so that when you visit any other European country except Spain, you wIll be covered for emergency care. We used to get them from the social security office in Spain, but for the last few years it has been via the DWP in UK. I thought I made it clear!

Johnx were you not aware of this arrangement?

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 5:08 PM by campogirl Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi

I know you are all trying to help but it still seems I am going round in circles.

To register for health care, we need to be registered in the EU Citizems register (and have a padron).  To register in the EU citizens register, we need a padron.  The mayor will not give us a padron.

I have been advised by a solicitor that the mayor is entitled to refuse a padron (why he would is a puzz;e as, as you say he receives a lump sum fofr each padron),  I doubt a complaint will help as while he is the mayor I do not want him to refuse a burning licence or refuse cutting down of some pine trees which I hope to remove this summer due to shading my solar panels.

Someone has offered to let us rent their static caravan in another village and try to get a padron there.  Does anyone know how this would work as I do not know if the other village comes under our local SS office.  Do you have to get another padron if you change addresses.  If we do manage to get a Spanish health card is it valid if we change adresses. 

Thanks

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 5:27 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Johnx were you not aware of this arrangement?

Yes, that's is why I said it is for visitors in Spain not those livung here.

Camogirl,   

To register for health care, we need to be registered in the EU Citizems register (and have a padron).  To register in the EU citizens register, we need a padron.  The mayor will not give us a padron.

As you wil see from the list, and as I said, there is no mention of having to have a Cert of Empadron in the docs required to get the EU Registration.

I also said,     " Go to the town hall and insist that you register on the Padron. If they refuse ask for the complaints form and complete it."   They will almost certainly register you.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 5:40 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

As i have said, and I don't know how to make it clearer, the EHIC is also for those living in Spain who are visiting every other country in the EU except Spain, as well as for those living in UK who get one for those visiting every other country except UK.  Both issued by DWP in UK.So you are not correct in saying The EHIC is for visitors, not those living here-it's for all in the EU and its conditions of use depend on where you live.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 5:46 PM by campogirl Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Thanks Johnzx

I would most certainly make a complaint in the UK, but I suppose, I am not fully confident in what my rights are here.  The mayor seems to be anti British, so I am not so confident in making a complaint here.  If I thought he would be voted out next time I would not be so cautious but he has already been voted back in once.  The previous mayor was much better, but ended up being taken to court for something so had to stand down a couple of elections ago.  Ironicaly the previous mayor in the adjacent village was a real anti British, but he was voted out and the new mayor loves the British.

Perhaps I will just gird my loins and ask for a complaint form.

Campogirl

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 5:54 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Campolgirl.  You have a complaint here in Spain, not in the UK.  You are obliged by Spanish Law to register on the Padron in the Municipality where you are living.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 7:05 PM by campogirl Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Traveling - 0 posts
LHD car wanted in Ex for RHD - 0 posts
Electricty Bills gone through the roof..... - 9 posts
Car Wanted Spanish Reg LHD - 8 posts
Transferring money to uk - 2 posts
Selling UK property whilst Spanish resident - 1 posts
Ventalation for pellet burner, kitchen and bathroom - 5 posts
laptop repair - 2 posts
Holiday place in Spain ? do you think it will be a good investment.. longer term ? - 44 posts
Residents Associations in Spain ? What are the negatives or the positives? - 5 posts
A "Spanish will" for UK Citizens to cover property ownership. - 0 posts
Done or want a Dacion De Pago or In Negative Equity? Tell us your story - 1 posts
Help I got a speeding ticket for 1080.00 for 2011? - 6 posts
Keith Rule joins the team at CostaLuz Lawyers - 7 posts
moving to quesada in april - 4 posts
De-registering a Spanish scooter - 4 posts
garden swimming pool ? - 40 posts
Buying in Cabopino, nr Marbella - 4 posts
Shutters on Spanish windows? - 20 posts
Andalucian style candleabra - 2 posts
Changing name on NIE - 6 posts
Bottle gas water heater - 3 posts
Gas hot water heaters - 12 posts
Looking for some information? - 0 posts
Residencia holder-Living outside Spain - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x