Electricty Bills gone through the roof.....

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Mar 2013 10:33 AM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

My Electricty bill was about €60 every 2 Months now the last one was €96, I went down to Pilar to the Iberdrola office and they told me that there was €50 tax on the bill which sounds very high, she also said that the Spanish are broke and need the money, when I came back I asked all the other owners and they also said there Bills were very high, we live near Villamartin I was wondering is this happening all over Spain or has and other owners got high bills......

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 11:22 AM by JPD Star rating in Hull, East Yorkshire.... 391 posts Send private message

JPD´s avatar

Yes we had the same thing, we have a place in Playa Flamenca. The standing charge has doubled over the last year due to normal increases ! vat increases and some other tax increase. Our bills now are about 110 euros every 2 months  even with the power switch off at the board.

Regards JD

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 11:28 AM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

There was also a one off charrge end of 2012 for the period October 2011 to March 2012 that the government allowed the electric companies to re-coup cost of electric that was undercharged. - presume this is what they referred to as a tax.

Juan

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 12:34 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
If you are there permanently then €96 for 2 months is quite good or £40 a month.
JPD. If you're paying 110 euro for 2 months with the power off, you need to get it checked out. Standing charges with no power consumption should only be half that. Including tax. There have been occasios where meters are labelled wrongly especially in that area.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 1:41 PM by honeywater Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

I've been experiencing the same problem for the last few months with monthly bills averaging 100 Euros. It would be interesting to have some idea of whether the increases are across the board or whether the electricity companies are targetting specifically the properties of "wealthy"  Norther European expats on the understanding that they will not complain because, among other reasons, would find the process to do so too complicated. If I'm wrong and the locals are also getting these extorsionist increases, how on earth can many of them afort to eat after paying their electricity bills?

Perhaps it is time to start a protest by signing a petition, either to the electricity companies themselves, or by putting pressure on the Spanish goverment to make it possible for other gas an electricity providers from othe EU contries to enter the market and this create more competition.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 2:45 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

The prices for electricity and standing charges are listed on the website for the utility company.  I haven't yet seen one that says "expats and Northern European" rates as opposed to "indigineous Spanish" rates.  Sorry, but fuel charges have gone up everywhere.  It is now more expensive in UK per kwh used but there is only 5% VAT there instead of 21% IVA.  Our bills have gone up from around 80 euros a month to 100 euro a month on average in the last few months.  Mains gas is installed in the main cities and the Costa Blanca is having an extensive mains gas network installed at the moment.  Some towns have already signed up to these contracts..  

Deregulaion for electric started in Spain in 2009 so it would be pointless pressuring the Spanish government as they have already done it.  That the companies haven't taken it up as they have done in UK is not the government's fault.

Apparently the average (if there is an average, of course) cost for electric and gas in a 3 bed semi in UK is now £1,250 a year.  That (using last months exchange rate) is around 1500 euro or 125 euro a month.  Of course, gas is so much cheaper in UK (about 30% of the electricity price) whereas we don't have much choice here and most of us are all electric.  Recent rises in gas in UK have added about £110 per year to the price and electricity another £

But if you only have a holiday home and turn the electric off when you are not here, then check with the supplier if your bill is in excess of 30 euros for 2 months.  You may be on the wrong tariff which can easily be changed.  

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 2:58 PM by fireblade900-1 Star rating in Wembley/Rojales. 23 posts Send private message

Hi..

Im in Rojales , I have a holiday home for which for the past  8 years Im there four to five times a year for a week or so,

When Im not in Spain my house stays empty  the electricity is switched off at the fuse box.. and my standing charge from Iberdrola is between 12 and 14 Euros a month ...(2013).....Over the last 60 months of standing charge..works out 13 euros standing charge per month.

Hope this helps

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 3:13 PM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

What I can't understand is that my bill for €93 there was over €50 tax that's sounds crazy, but as the lady down in Pilar said the government are in a bad way and need the money....the Iberdrola tax was quiet small but the government tax was huge. All my friends living near me are really upset over the huge increase in costs, I even checked my reading and it was the same as the bill. Spain are in a bad way and do they expect the English and Irish help them get out of the huge hole they are in......

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 5:00 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

If you look at an Iberdrola bill there is a pie-chart. It shows the make up of your bill. The average tax/standing costs  amount of a normal bill is between 43-47%. If you are a low user the tax/standing costs amount can be in excess of 50%.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2013 2:18 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

My average bill over the past 10 month is 62 euros a month.

My last two bills (actual readings not estimates) were for 62 euros and 64 euros. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car Wanted Spanish Reg LHD - 8 posts
Transferring money to uk - 2 posts
Selling UK property whilst Spanish resident - 1 posts
Ventalation for pellet burner, kitchen and bathroom - 5 posts
laptop repair - 2 posts
Holiday place in Spain ? do you think it will be a good investment.. longer term ? - 44 posts
Residents Associations in Spain ? What are the negatives or the positives? - 5 posts
A "Spanish will" for UK Citizens to cover property ownership. - 0 posts
Done or want a Dacion De Pago or In Negative Equity? Tell us your story - 1 posts
Help I got a speeding ticket for 1080.00 for 2011? - 6 posts
Keith Rule joins the team at CostaLuz Lawyers - 7 posts
moving to quesada in april - 4 posts
De-registering a Spanish scooter - 4 posts
garden swimming pool ? - 40 posts
Buying in Cabopino, nr Marbella - 4 posts
Shutters on Spanish windows? - 20 posts
Andalucian style candleabra - 2 posts
Changing name on NIE - 6 posts
Bottle gas water heater - 3 posts
Gas hot water heaters - 12 posts
Looking for some information? - 0 posts
Residencia holder-Living outside Spain - 5 posts
Renew my Passport - 2 posts
What constitutes the escritura paperwork in Spain - 6 posts
Best place to buy a used car - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x