Property tax advice

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Feb 2013 9:14 AM by jimmy.reid Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I purchased my appartment in jan 2007 and to date have not paid any property tax. I use it as a holiday home but my daughter who has been studying in Spain has stayed in it for the past 3 years. I have had no income from the flat. Can anyone advise on how I can pay the tax due since purchase.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 9:29 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As your daughter lives in the property, I would suggest that she could go to a Gestor locally and ask your questions. 

That way you will get one (set ) of answers which apply specifically to you, rather than the wide ranging advice you may get here, and which may just confuse you more (information overload)..

This message was last edited by johnzx on 23/02/2013.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 11:58 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

You should be paying the local annual tax (rates, known as IBI) to the town hall. If you haven't been, I suggest you go to the town hall IBI office with your escritura (deeds) and sort it out.

You should also be paying non-resident income tax (even if you have no income from it). You should be filing an annual tax return using modelo 210 (if you Google it you'll find plenty of info). 

As John says, find a local gestor if you're not sure how to proceed.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Feb 2013 8:25 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

25 Feb 2013 9:05 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Hi Jimmy,

It took me a while to get my head round the property taxes.  Some of it defies logic and the jargon doesn't help either - but this is the note I made for myself when it finally sunk in...

There are 2 property taxes in Spain

a)      “Declaracion de la Renta” (Modelo (form) 210) This is the Income Tax payable in Spain and is calculated by several factors. 

First off find out the “Cadastral value” of the property. This is shown on the IBI (aka Suma)(see b below) and also in the property deeds. The Cadastral value is a notional value and similar to the UK “ratable value”. 

The assumed earnings element will be first decided on either 1.1% or 2% of the Cadastral value dependent on when the cadastral value was last assessed. The lower figure of 1.1% applies on properties valued since 1994.

This Agencia Tributaria set the annual percentage of this figure which is actually payable. In 2011 it was 24%. So the abbreviated calculation is RV x (either 1.1% or 2%) x 0.24

The tax is paid regardless of whether or not you have any rental income from the property. The Spanish just call it “deemed rental income” – so everyone is obliged to cough up.

b)      IBI (aka Suma) which is the equivalent of our Council Tax.

I used Spanish Tax Forms (http://www.spanishtaxforms.co.uk)  to calculate the amount due under a) above and provide the forms required for payment.  They charge £25 to do so.  To actually pay the two taxes you usually to go to 2 different locations, but suggest you start with your local Town Hall.  Our local bank very helpful in setting up future direct debits to reduce the annual chore involved.

Those with more knowledge may pick holes in the above, but I believe it's basically right and I hope it helps.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Wildlife in Axarquia - 0 posts
Falling pound, but a silver lining - 25 posts
A building not conforming to current standards, what does this mean? - 6 posts
Looking for second airconditioning unit. - 3 posts
Lack of Response by Spanish entities. - 1 posts
Car Insurance in Spain - 4 posts
Out of the blue Social Security Bill for 7.5k - 13 posts
Longer term Car Rental on Costa Del Sol - 0 posts
Empty Van travelling to Ireland on 21st March 2013 - 0 posts
Has The Classifieds been invaded by nutters? - 2 posts
Do I get my own civil servant ? - 14 posts
EZGO Electric Golf Buggy for Sale - 0 posts
IBI After Selling - 3 posts
Caravan Parking Place Wanted - 0 posts
legal 'larger style'taxis from AlicanteAirport to Torrevieja - 1 posts
British citizens in Spain urged to make correct use of European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) - 10 posts
The UK Mortgage rates might help your Spanish property dream. - 2 posts
Infant Schooling here in Spain - 2 posts
El COTO VERA - 1 posts
BBC 2 HD on it's way to satellite - 0 posts
Changes to Eutelsat 28A UK & English TV Costa Blanca & Calida - 0 posts
Car Hire Spain.. Whens the best time to book ? - 2 posts
Southern Spain - 2 posts
IBERIAN AIRLINE STRIKES - 1 posts
Astra 2E & 2G - upcoming UK satellite TV changes. - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x