tax on uk property

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jan 2013 9:16 PM by muriel Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

hello

could someone give me advice as to how much tax  I would pay on £1000 rent on a uk property if I moved to spain and became a a resident.

thanks

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 7:26 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Ask HMRC as you must declare the rental income in the UK

However, Kathyslad  insists that it must also be reported in Spain, relying on this and similar info:

If the property has already been taxed in the country where it is situated and this tax is more than the tax you would pay in Spain, it has in the past been common to leave it off your Spanish tax return, as no tax would be due. The has been the traditional approach for UK property, due to the complications introduced by the different tax year ends in the UK and Spain.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 8:50 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

maybe it has ben common in the past but its also been common not to report anything for some people

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 8:56 AM by KathysLad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

As Johnzx says, you must declare it in the UK, and also in Spain, although you can claim an allowance for any UK tax paid. If the UK tax is more than you would pay in Spain, then you won't pay any more, if its less, then you will just pay the difference. How much you wil pay (in either country) will depend upon your personal circumstances. The information you have provided is not very helpful, as it doesn't say whether its weekly, monthly or per year, and whether its the gross or net figure. 

When you rent out a property in either country, you can deduct allowable expenses. This page sets out these details in a simple, easy to read format. Once you have arrived at the net figure, then that is the taxable amount. How much you will pay will depend upon whether you have other income taxable in the UK. From April 2013 the personal allowance is £9,105, so for example, if you have other income of say £10,000 then you will pay tax on the full net amount of rental income. If its £5,000, then you can deduct the difference £4,105 from the rental income, and you wil pay tax on the balance left. At these levels, the tax rate is 20% in the UK .

The deductions allowed for expenses are similar in Spain, but tax is more generous, as you are only taxed on 50% of the net rental income. The tax calculation is similar, but the personal allowances are variable, depending upon whether you have earned income, and are submitting a single or joint (with your partner) return.

Whether you wil need to pay any additional tax in Spain will depend upon how you are using your allowances in either country.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 9:13 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Muriel

If you are using a letting agent you would need to obtain a NRL1 form from HMRC and give it to the agent, this would enable them to pay you your rent in full without deduction.

So you are getting £12,000 income

You can set off the following if they are applicable to you.

Mortgage Interest, agents fees, repairs and renewals and service charges.

You then file a tax return by 31st Jan each year for the period to the previous April, if you have no other income, and depending how much you can 'set off', it is likely that when your personal allowance (£7475 - 2011) is deployed that you will pay little or no tax.

A small self employed tax accountant should do this for you for around £60 + vat, I believe you can set this cost off as well

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 9:17 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

KathysLad

Crossed post, I didn't see yours prior to posting, some duplicate information.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 9:21 AM by kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Mungry said

"maybe it has ben common in the past but its also been common not to report anything for some people"

Not sure I understand this post

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 9:23 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

there is no quote on this forum software which is unusual.

quote johnx

Ask HMRC as you must declare the rental income in the UK

However, Kathyslad  insists that it must also be reported in Spain, relying on this and similar info:

If the property has already been taxed in the country where it is situated and this tax is more than the tax you would pay in Spain, it has in the past been common to leave it off your Spanish tax return, as no tax would be due. The has been the traditional approach for UK property, due to the complications introduced by the different tax year ends in the UK and Spain.

Please send me a private message if you do not agree with what I have said

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 11:01 AM by healthyannie Star rating in Teulada. 22 posts Send private message

healthyannie´s avatar

Hi,

If you are tax resident in Spain you should declare the income in Spain as part of your Spanish tax declaration.

If you own a UK based limited company and your property forms part of this you declare the income in the UK as part of your company's accounts.

Annie

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 11:09 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

and they are very keen now.

when people talk about how `the government is goign after people`

i personally know some people whom  have been hit for not declaring.

they are now having to  buy apartments in gibraltar and spend most of the year there

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 10:01 PM by muriel Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Thanks for the replies,

I have now paid off my mortgage on my UK home it would rent out for £1000 a month,so i thought I would go to live in my spanish house which also has no mortgage .  I would have no other income only this money so if there was to much tax to pay I would not be able to live on that amount as I would not work in spain. I am single with no dependants .

thanks 

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 11:04 PM by Star rating. 0 posts

Ignore the current tax year as it's probably complex if you've been working as well. Say you started renting it out in the new UK tax year, from April 6th. The tax-free allowance goes up for 2013/14 to £9,440. So from you £12k rental income, deduct all expenses including agent's fee, then you have an additional allowance of 10% of gross rent (so another £1200), and all that should take your net rental income down to somewhere between £9k and £10k. You will pay tax at 20% of the amount OVER your tax-free allowance of £9,440. So if any it will be one or two hundred pounds to pay only, assuming you have no other UK income. Don't forget you have to declare interest earned on any savings.

Like 0      
16 Jan 2013 8:54 AM by KathysLad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Ignore the current tax year as it's probably complex if you've been working as well. Say you started renting it out in the new UK tax year, from April 6th. The tax-free allowance goes up for 2013/14 to £9,440. So from you £12k rental income, deduct all expenses including agent's fee, then you have an additional allowance of 10% of gross rent (so another £1200), and all that should take your net rental income down to somewhere between £9k and £10k. You will pay tax at 20% of the amount OVER your tax-free allowance of £9,440. So if any it will be one or two hundred pounds to pay only, assuming you have no other UK income. Don't forget you have to declare interest earned on any savings.

In general I agree with this post. However, couple of points. If muriel has no other income I think its reasonable to assume that she doesn't receive a state pension, so is not over 65. In which case the allowance is £9,205 (I made a typo the the other day). £9,440 is when you are over 65. In addition, the 10% allowance is only available if you rent your property furnished. 

In terms of additional tax payable in Spain, then if you have no other income, there won't be any. As I posted before, tax is payable on 50% of your net rental income, plus, in addition, you can claim a depreciation allowance of 3% (don't think this has been changed, but you should check). The depreciation is only on the building though, not the land, and is on the cost price, not the value. So for a UK property I guess you would have to find out the rebuild costs in the year you purchased. e.g If your property is 800 sq feet, and the rebuild costs were £100 a sq foot, the value would be £80,000, and yourdepreciation would be £2,400. This is deducted from the gross income with your other expenses.

So, after deducting other expenses, if the balance is £10,000, the tax payable in the UK (unfurnished, and assuming you're under 65) would be £159. (£10,000 - £9205 = £795 x 20%). For Spain, the £2,400 would be deducted from the £10,000, so the net rental income would be £7,600, and tax payable on 50% i.e £3800. Converted to euros at €1.20 this is €4,560. your personal allowance is €5,151, so no additional tax is payable.

HOWEVER, if, and when you qualify for a state pension, then this is taxable in Spain. From April the basic is £110 a week, so approx €6,920. Added to your net rental income, your taxable income then becomes €11,480, but you get an additional €4,080 earned income allowance. The personal allowance when you're 65 goes upto €6,069 plus €4,080 ,but note you may qualify for your pension before you are 65, so your allowance would be €5,151 plus €4,080

So, if you are 65, the tax payable in spain would be €330 less what you paid in the UK - over 65 this would be £112 or about €135, so you would have to pay an additional €195. Under 65 it would €365

If you do rent it out furnished, then you wouldn't pay any tax in the UK, but this allowance is not available in Spain, you would just claim for any renewal costs. You can opt to claim for renewals in the UK, but I don't think you can chop and change, so you should think about claiming for renewals in the Uk, otherwise when you draw your state pension it could end up costing you money

Hope this makes sesnse, and not to complicated to understand, although I have tried to set it out clearly.

This message was last edited by KathysLad on 16/01/2013.

This message was last edited by KathysLad on 16/01/2013.

Like 0      
16 Jan 2013 9:40 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
No, according to the HMRC website the tax-free personal allowance 2013/14 is £9,440 for people born AFTER 5th April 1948. ie under 65.

Don't forget that the allowance was increased in the November budget statement, above what had been announced, so when googling this figure many accountancy firms still have the old rates in newsletters, articles etc, written before the most recent increase.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
16 Jan 2013 9:42 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Sorry, I also meant to say that the post above KathysLad's post, which is uncredited to a real live person, was mine. Don't know why or how I managed to be secret! Anyway, any errors are mine :-)

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
16 Jan 2013 9:47 AM by kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Tamara

You are absolutely right, and I am wrong. My fault, I was reading the original HMRC memo, and I looked at that page and read it as before not after. Apologies.

Muriel, it makes a reduction of

Like 0      
16 Jan 2013 10:06 AM by KathysLad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Sorry, I was going to post the changes to the figures I posted, but for some reason I can't edit when I post on my ipad.

Anyway, under 65 tax payable would be £112, not £159. Over 65 it would be nil.

spanish calculations are correct, so net payable would be 

under 65 and not drawing pension  would still be zero additional. Under 65 and drawing pension would be €230. Over 65 and drawing pension it would be €330

Like 0      
16 Jan 2013 10:12 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Muriel, I don't know how to find old threads on this forum, but there was a really interesting thread on how much it costs to live here. General view was that €1000 was more than enough, and your £1000 is (currently!) more like €1200. For people without rent or mortgages to pay, €600-800 seemed to be More than enough. Obviously the rent / mortage is most peope's biggest expense. Wthout that, and running a small car, flying to the UK a few times a year, not being too stingy with water and electric, going out a couple of times a week and eating quite well, was perfectly doable on well under €1000 pm.

Like 0      
16 Jan 2013 10:54 AM by healthyannie Star rating in Teulada. 22 posts Send private message

healthyannie´s avatar

Hi,

It all depends on your over all income for the fiscal year.

Annie

Like 0      
16 Jan 2013 11:01 AM by KathysLad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Tamara

On the right, above the orange line, select search forums. I tried cost of living, and a number of threads came up. One called monthly living seems to contain quite a lot of information.

Muriel will probably have £850ish after rental expenses, which should just be about enough. However, one point to bear in mind is the new rules regarding the registraion on the register of foreigners (green certificate), is that you need to demonstrate minimum amount of income (which she can), plus health care cover, which unless she qualifies for the S1 under Ni contibutions, will mean she needs priavte health care. Much cheaper in Spain, but still a big cost, if you're not on a big income.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Scottish power/iberdrola - 1 posts
Can anyone tell me why its so hard to find English sales people on the Coast? - 36 posts
Registering property for letting - 3 posts
Torresat in hot water yet again, €600,000 fines due - 0 posts
Translators - 4 posts
does anyone else have a septic tank that purifies the water for use in the garden? - 1 posts
Help Please! - Drawing on your pension from Spain for the first time - 6 posts
swop LHD car for RHD model - 1 posts
Family moving to Spain - 14 posts
Lawyer's liability - 8 posts
Spanish Citizenship Application Question - 7 posts
property to rent - 0 posts
Golf Lessons - Mar Menor Area - 2 posts
Loss of Community Fee discount for breaking community rules - 5 posts
Cheap and Cheerful for 3 months - 1 posts
spanish law - Retrospective planning - 5 posts
savings account without charges - 0 posts
Espana viva - 1 posts
Facts on Bank Debts to Communities - 8 posts
Anyone else lost BBC channels this morning? - 9 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance, back years - 28 posts
BAD BANK DEBT - 2 posts
Apartment Reduced from 112k to 34k in Andalcia - 22 posts
BUG ON THIS SITE - 4 posts
Golf share in Guadalmina for sale - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x