Can anyone tell me why its so hard to find English sales people on the Coast?

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jan 2013 7:38 PM by murilyn123 Star rating in Marbella. 4 posts Send private message

I am puzzled as to where all the English unemployed people are on the coast? I have advertised everywhere put to no avail, I have quite a few UK Companies who want to move to Spain and provide Expats with good solid jobs but the main hurdle has been finding experienced people who want to work. Are there really so many unemployed people because I can't find them anywhere? 

This message was last edited by murilyn123 on 14/01/2013.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 7:43 PM by dwayne Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi Murilyn.

Just seen your post, That's exactly the same problems my company has been having, we are trying to relocate successful companies from the UK, who need many Sales people here in Spain.

if anyone can shed some light on this it would deffinately be of great help?

Dwayne

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 7:53 PM by lorraine56 Star rating in Granada Spain. 51 posts Send private message

Depends on what sort of experience you are looking for. I am a qualified apprentiship served hairdresser with 8 years experience, I have also worked as a laboratory trainer ( unigate plc )and a first contact officer/ team leader for the DWP in the UK  ( dealing with benifit claims )as well as a trainer manager for Whitbread plc running Brewsters pubs ( Large play areas , ball pitts etc  and a staff of 60) for 8 years before moving to Spain so unless you are more specific as to skills and area you are located in then  you are unlikely to find what you are looking for.

Sorry if that sounds negative but you need to be a lot more specific .

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 8:00 PM by dwayne Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

We are looking to put together an entire sales team for the company there are a large amount of vacancies available. 

Your Role will include
• Be making sales calls to wealthy decision makers every day
• Take part in daily expert sales and product training to turn you into an instant professional
• Be consulting and managing sales transactions that can range from £5,000 to over £250,000
• Be part of a very large team of dynamic sales and telesales people constantly competing to be the highest earner
• Be marketing and selling our clients products to high net worth individuals with a rewards scheme designed to support the sales people who produce the most
• Be trained to become a knowledgeable, independent and self-sufficient investment sales expert able to make regular decisions that can be worth thousands of pounds!
• Be given the opportunity to progress to becoming a senior sales broker and potentially a team leader. These promotions can come around as quickly as you want to achieve them – within the first year, first six months or for the most focused individuals as early as month one.
OTE - 1st Month £1500+. 2nd Month £2500+. 3rd Month £4000+. Most experienced brokers following their training phase can earn £10,000+ a month. Expected total earnings are at least £50,000 in the first year for the successful candidates. Please note these positions are for people whose goal is high total earnings from sales. Every deal you are involved with receives sales commission and location is from offices in Marbella, Spain

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 8:28 PM by lorraine56 Star rating in Granada Spain. 51 posts Send private message

Is this a commission only based position or do you pay a set wage and then commission on top ? Most people will avoid commission only jobs as they have very little chance of earning a good salary especially in these cash strapped times.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 8:32 PM by lorraine56 Star rating in Granada Spain. 51 posts Send private message

Also with the telesales are they inbound or solely outbound ? ( much harder work outbound, inbound means someone wants to know about your service , outbound means you need to sell someone something they do not necissarily want )

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 11:15 PM by dwayne Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Funny enough there were 2 positions available, one comms only and one basic and comms and 3 of the people who left were on a basic with comms, the comms only make very good money and thats why they have stayed but I understand what you are saying. A lot of people need jobs with good pay and thats why i am surprised that I cannot find workers...its madness

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 11:58 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Its probably because there are so many advertised.

If you look in the local spanish papers for the costa del sol they are all `mickey mouse` garbage commision only or rediculous basic plus commision.

I do marketing and advertising for companys and part of that is advertising jobs to get the calls coming in.

Recently i advertised a receptionist job and got round about 50 calls in the first 7 hours.

Any salespeople who were worth their salt moved on from the costas when the property bubble bust.
A few stuck around but not so many.

It interests me why someone legitimate would want to have an outbound call center from the costas when many have closed recently and relocated.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 12:18 AM by ojosazul88 Star rating. 171 posts Send private message

Good sales people have always been hard to find, i used to do sales recruitment in London and it was still tough finding high quality candidates, so when youre looking for sales people in the Costa del Sol etc it will be obviously harder, the kind of people who moved to the Costas were mainly retirees or self employed people, plus the image of most sales positions on the Costas is boiler rooms, timeshare or commission only with no job contract. Your target market of suitable people therefore is quite small. Sorry i dont buy that comm only nonsense, packages a few years back for sales reps in London were 20-30k basic+ car+ comms in most sales sectors. You advertise half that and you will probably find applicants. That job spec is very "80s" too!

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 12:39 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Yes that is a more grown up and accurate post than mine.

Be making calls to wealthy decision makers seems very much boiler room to me.

Whats the company? JT Marlin?

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 10:06 AM by dwayne Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

thanks a lot for all the replies so far, its great feedback

The reason these companies want to move over here is that the rent for offices is much cheaper than the UK, they are all legitimate businesses who are expanding not just to here but also Germany, 

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 10:12 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Have they or you got a local presence?

If you go into the real estate agents you will find lots of salespeople that are looking for work.
They run off when you go in because its so long since they dealt with customers that you will probably able to pick up a ton.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 10:46 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

It is very very difficult to find good staff, i must have gone through 5 applications for every memeber of staff i have!!

I have been looking for someone for 3 months and it is amazing with the current employment figures i can't get anyone.

If anyone out there is looking please let me know.

(just to add that i do not need an English sales person neccesarily,just someone that speaks English)

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 11:06 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Yep

I used to be pretty high up in a company in spain so did a lot of recruiting and was overseeing a lot of it.

We used to really really struggle to get people.

When i said we got 50 applications for the receptionists job recenty.
What i neglected to say is 48 were out immediately for varying reasons such as they were the very inflexible in the hours they wanted to work and many other reasons.

I actually know people in spain who`s husbands are unemplyed, they havent had a job for 2 years and when they start work they complain that they are tired and have to work so many hours.

It is somewhat strange how to hire in some areas of spain you need to really lower your expectations.

I rember when i worked in Gibraltar we used to try and pay the spanish less because we needed 2 spanish to do the work of one english person.

Racist i know but i am just stating a fact.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 11:20 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

I tried to work in sales in Spain for a number of years, had a professional sales background in the UK before I came to Spain, with experience of both direct and indirect sales, I have been a sales trainer and my track record can be verified

I personally got so fed up with the flakey employers, with all of their b******* promises that in the end I started my own business in Spain, using my sales skills to develop the business which has been a success

It normally starts when you are offered a commission only role and where they will require that you are registered self employed, Autonimo, with all of the associated expenses, and with no real guarantee of income or employment protection, and, for many people that really need to work, they just cannot fund this initially

The next scam, if the role is field based they want you to use your own car, to pay for petrol which of course they will reimburse for and use your own mobile, perhaps work from home, nice and cheap for the employer and of course again no guarantees that you will get these back

In my own case a few years ago I started working for an IT company selling VPN and internet access and did pretty well and all was good for the first few months but I should have been more concerned when the owners asked if I would be happy to buy some equipment and software for the order I had taken. Needless to say when it came to the month end they had no money and what followed was 18 months of legal battling to get what I was owed

It is easy for the employer to say that these are good jobs but I always get suspicious when they say things like the previous people were earning well but just left

Do your own due diligence on the company, how long have they been established and can they prove this. Do they have accounts and the necessary business licences to operate in Spain and basically don't believe anything that cannot be verified

If you really need work then it is easy to get conned and it will cosy the EMPLOYEE money, if a job looks to good to be true then it is and sorry Dwayne  your roles for senior sales brokers sound just like a boiler room and perhaps you would like to answer a few of the queries on this forum, if would be great for your recruitment drive

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 11:25 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Fantastic post.

I am looking forward to Dwayenes reply

and would love to know the name of the company that has an office in marbella and the Cif of course.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 1:03 PM by dwayne Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hello

Thanks for all your feedback, its much appreciated.

This has been great to find out the answers that seem so hard to come accross. 

Inspectahomespain - Sorry to hear of your experience, yes I know many people have left the coast, there are many scams happening right now all over the world (its not isolated to Spain) but there has to be some light at the end of the tunnel because people still have to work or find a way to make a living, 

The Company I am working with right now  is registered in Spain (its cost a fortune and is a lot as you know with the paperwork) based in Centro Plaza in Nueva Andalucia, We work with this type of company in the Uk helping them to grow their business to the next level. There are still many advantages to having an office here in Spain and I have around 10 other companies waiting in the wings, We run an open door policy and if anyone would like to visit, invited or not, your welcome. PM me for addresses and emails ect.

Gorgia - Thanks for your reply, there is definately a big hurdle to get over but its so great to share ideas and maybe find a solution

Mungry - Thanks for your feedback, CIF to follow 

Keep up the conversation please, its much appreciated as I have been struggling to find the answers for quite a while now

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 1:15 PM by dwayne Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

forgot to say

I tried to put the website but could not that why i said PM but my company is all the w's successmoves then the end bit for the uk and kmd and then com (if that makes sense)

Just thought I might make that clear because understandably there is suspicion

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 2:29 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

formerly trading as

Horizon Ventures Group Inc

do you offer stocks or shares or deal with companys that offer stocks and shares?

Like 0      
15 Jan 2013 2:33 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

nice jobs listed

can do the one that pays 170k from home in my underwear?

Senior Sales Executive PT or FT

Fast Growth Italian IT company, just opening in London, UK requires Senior Sales Executive to grow their company to the next level of success. You will be a sel… view full job details »

Salary: £100000 - £170000/annum High Fees+ Residual Self Employed | Location: London, South East | Job Posted: 2012-11-26

TeleSales Manager-Fast Growth Business

Fast Growth South West London Online Marketing leader require Sales Manager/Director to grow their company to the next level of success. You will be a self-star… view full job details »

Salary: £55000 - £115000/annum self-empl comms+override ongoing | Location: Kingston, South East | Job Posted: 2012-12-07

Senior Sales Executives IT / Digital Media

Fast Growth Italian IT company, just opening in London, UK requires Senior Sales Executive to grow their company to the next level of success. You will be a sel… view full job details »

Salary: £100000/annum | Location: London, South East | Job Posted: 2012-12-18

Trainee Stockbroker - Sales - £50k OTE

For our client we are looking to build a young, hungry team of confident and energetic individuals who are looking to build a career in sales starting at the ve… view full job details »

Salary: £15000 - £75000/annum Salary + Commission | Location: Central London, London | Job Posted: 2012-12-21

Sales - Junior Green Commodity Broker

My client is a rapidly developing Green Renewable Energy Investment sales company looking to add a number of strong, disciplined, natural sales people. Based fr… view full job details »

Salary: £14000 - £70000/annum Salary + Uncapped Commission | Location: Central London, London | Job Posted: 2012-12-21

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

Registering property for letting - 3 posts
Torresat in hot water yet again, €600,000 fines due - 0 posts
Translators - 4 posts
does anyone else have a septic tank that purifies the water for use in the garden? - 1 posts
Help Please! - Drawing on your pension from Spain for the first time - 6 posts
swop LHD car for RHD model - 1 posts
Family moving to Spain - 14 posts
Lawyer's liability - 8 posts
Spanish Citizenship Application Question - 7 posts
property to rent - 0 posts
Golf Lessons - Mar Menor Area - 2 posts
Loss of Community Fee discount for breaking community rules - 5 posts
Cheap and Cheerful for 3 months - 1 posts
spanish law - Retrospective planning - 5 posts
savings account without charges - 0 posts
Espana viva - 1 posts
Facts on Bank Debts to Communities - 8 posts
Anyone else lost BBC channels this morning? - 9 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance, back years - 28 posts
BAD BANK DEBT - 2 posts
Apartment Reduced from 112k to 34k in Andalcia - 22 posts
BUG ON THIS SITE - 4 posts
Golf share in Guadalmina for sale - 1 posts
Congratulations to Think Spain Sl and Well done to Justin for the EOS Sale - 9 posts
Another success for Costa Luz Lawyers - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 37

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x