Best Bank here in Spain for residents?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jan 2013 3:41 PM by Jualsy Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I have closed my Bank account with Bankaja as the branch has moved and it it too far to go to Quesada or into the town, Torrevieja. I opened one with CAM, and the chaos and charges got to me, so I closed that down too.

Anything near El Limonar or the Torretas that can be recommended?? I don´t want to HAVE to bank a certain amount every month.

Hope someone can help.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2013 3:55 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I think (just my opinion) that the branch at which one banks is probably more important than the bank itself.

I get on well with my branch manager and thus I have negotiated good rates for everything I do. 

The manager can vary the charges for different customers.

Have a chat with the banks most convenient for you and see what they offer.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2013 4:18 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

I agree completely with you Johnx

The bank dosent really matter so much.

having lived across different parts of andalucia for almost a decade the branch to branch experience couldnt have been more different.
from amazing experiences with the staff to walking in one day and walking out with a closed account due to rudeness.

but there is also the fact that relationships take time to build in spain so it can take over 6 months of going into the same bank daily for them to greet you with a smile, hug and coffee.

although not quite, its a bit like the uk in the 60`s where the bank manager would call at your house or you would actually go to see him rather than a faceless clerk.

banking is very different in spain if you are in one of the more remote or pikey places.
i cant speak for north and other places but in the south i am pretty happy with the whole thing.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
09 Jan 2013 2:14 PM by gollygolly Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I have an account with Barclays Espana - fantastic service, no charges, and nearly everything done on-line, so rarely use the physical branch.

Barclays has a branch in Torrevieja in Calle Joaquín Chapaprieta, 10.

Good luck with changing.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2013 12:59 PM by jaldridge Star rating in Manilva. 144 posts Send private message

jaldridge´s avatar

Agree with John, it's definitely more about the local branch than anything else.

We've been with Cajamar for years now and not so much for the services they offer but more about that they are so friendly and approachable in our local branch.  I think it wasn't for them maybe I wouldn't be so happy with them.

I can't say the say about Santander though.  Both my local branch and the one in Marbella are diabolical when it comes to service.

The problem is that you don't really get to know your local branch and how they are with you until you start using them.  It's a bit of a catch 22.

Justin

EOS Team

Like 0      
10 Jan 2013 4:22 PM by healthyannie Star rating in Teulada. 22 posts Send private message

healthyannie´s avatar

Banks always seem to be a problem here in Spain. If you live in a small town or village I think that the banks give a better service auis may get to know the staff personally. I know the name of all the girls in our local CAM branch and they treat me more like a friend.

With regards to quality banking I think Caja Murcia is good. They have a good range of accounts and if you are retired the account does not cost a penny. I am not retired so I don't bank with them but I know many people who are retired and they are happy with them as the staff seem to give a good personal and caring service.

Like 0      
19 Jan 2013 1:01 PM by SailorBert Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I live on Lanzarote having moved from the main land because we couldn't stand the cold winters.

We have been retired 5 years and during this time we have had several bank accounts.

We started with Unicaja and couldn't fault them, having started with an international account in Nerja before moving out and then a current account in Mojacar.

Always helpful even to the extent of doing your tax returns for a very reasonable cost. Unfortunately they do not operate here on Lanzarote so we started with Cam, but the local branch closed down and it was too far to the nearest one.

Banca March are the most solvent of all Spanish banks and had a London branch which made life easy when transferring sterling, then that was closed and we had to keep 1500 euros in the local branch every month to obtain free banking, in our mind dead money, couldn't be touched.

Now we are with Sabadell who, incidentely, have absorbed Cam. Very helpful, excellant English speaking even though we try to do a bit of Spanish, minimum transfer to get free banking, 700 euros every month and can go down to 150 euros in account before charges are incurred.

Excellant on line banking, multi-lingual and have just released an App for iPad etc, however, that is still in Spanish, early days.

They are amongst the top ten for solvency and we would highly recommend them.

David & Margaret

This message was last edited by SailorBert on 19/01/2013.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hertz Hire Car Charges For Full Tank? - 3 posts
Building a swimming pool advice - 5 posts
Hello, calling from Bulgaria. - 0 posts
Two Spaniards Self-Immolate Due To Financial Problems - 5 posts
Taking "embargos" from bank accounts - 4 posts
Non Residence tax Fiscal - 2 posts
Properties for sale? - 2 posts
Want extra satellite channels for Free? Gold, Dave, Alibi - 0 posts
Macias legal - Still in business? - 0 posts
housing price news spells disaster in sunbelt!! - 12 posts
What has happened to the " Reporting assets outside of Spain" thread? - 11 posts
Algorfa - detached villa - absolute buy? - 19 posts
Points on my new driving licence? - 10 posts
Latest news out of Spain - government has spent 90% of pension fund! - 3 posts
Local Charity in Huelva - 0 posts
Having your first argument in Spanish - 1 posts
Hi everyone! - 1 posts
Triumph Vitesse Convertable for sale - 1 posts
Wanted French speaking home help - 3 posts
The Government wants help with Red-Tape Reform! - 49 posts
Campo/Pueblo/Urbanisation? - 5 posts
Resident Non EU citizens travelling outside Spain - 2 posts
New Here - 0 posts
Hi there!!! - 2 posts
Buying a car - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x