Points on my new driving licence?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jan 2013 11:35 AM by alan63 Star rating in Orihuela. 50 posts Send private message

alan63´s avatar

I have received a number of letters from trafico to say that Ive got les than 6 points left on my licence and I need to have a re-education classes to get my points back! Im a bit afaid to go to the traffic office as Ive received about 10 of these letter. i cant imagine what Ive done to get so may points as Im a good driver and havent been stopped in Spain or fined for years. Can anyone give me advice?

Like 0      
04 Jan 2013 11:45 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I just did a search on Google.

At this address       https://apl.dgt.es/WEB_COPACI/consultarPuntos.faces    

You can register and then see what points you have.

I have just gone through the system of registering. 

It was a bit complicated as they require the date when your DL was first valid. 

As mine was changed from a UK  D/L  I had to try the various dates from which I was able to drive cars, bikes, trucks etc.  After a couple of tries I got the right one and then was able to register, they send a confirmation email, then you need to following the directions.

It shows how many point you have  As mine showed 15, i.e. I have not lost any, I cannot tell if  you have lost points,  if the reasons would show up. 

Maybe you, or some else, who has lost some points, could give it try and see what info they can get.

Just for info.

Traffic Offences and Penalties

Spain monitors a driver's traffic offences with a points system. A diving licence starts with a credit of 12 points in the case of experienced drivers, and 8 during a new driver's first three years of driving. Two extra points are awarded for three years without offences, to a maximum of 15 points in total.

A person caught speeding (for example) loses three points from their licence. If a driver loses all 12 points, the driving licence is withdrawn for a year, and once the year is up, the driver takes a special test and a course, as well as the usual theoretical and practical driving tests in order to be given a new licence.

The police have the authority to remove a driver's licence instantly if the offence is considered serious. Fines may also be imposed.

Please note.     I am only passing on the info not endorsing it in any way.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 04/01/2013.

Like 0      
05 Jan 2013 10:50 AM by Alan63 Star rating in Orihuela. 50 posts Send private message

Alan63´s avatar

Rats it seems I only have 5 points. Now what do I do?

Seems you get crucified here just for giving information.

Like 0      
05 Jan 2013 11:17 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
This is interesting - so have they deducted Alan's points without him knowing? Is it that, maybe, there were a couple of minor infringements such as speeding, where you paid a fine Alan, and thought no more of it? Perhaps the points get deducted automatically, after a speeding offence. I recall another recent thread where someone had a one-month driving ban, and he thought paying the fine was all he had to do. Is that right, John, that the points are deducted automatically and remotely? Though I note with respect your own excellent driving record! And Alan, could that be the case, that you've had fines and not realised there were also points deducted?

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
05 Jan 2013 12:01 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Alan

Sorry if I am saying the obvious, but why not go to Traffico and find out why you have lost points?

If it’s an error then you can correct it,  if not then maybe you can agree to go to a class and learn how to be a better  driver. 

I don’t think anyone can help you in the forum, but I maybe wrong and if so I know a couple of posters who will for sure love to tell us!!!!

This message was last edited by johnzx on 05/01/2013.

Like 0      
05 Jan 2013 12:56 PM by Patrick Vine Star rating in Cox, Alicante. 42 posts Send private message

Dear Alan,

This is a bit of a mess up by the Traffic department. The letters you have received are saying you have less than 6 points and you need a class to regain points. There has been a computor error at the trafic which is the reason you received alot of letters to inform you of the same thing. This has happened to alot of people and is causing a bit of worrie to say the least. 

The Points being below six is another issue.

When you were issued with your Spanish licence, in error you were registered on the DGT computor as a new driver with only 8 points and it has not been taken into account that you have been driving for many years in with a British licence. If while diriving in Spain in the last 3 years with your u.k. licence you have been speeding, caught talking on the phone or even just wearing headphones you would have been given a fine and possible 3 points. Once you changed your licence to a Spanish one then the DGT computor would issue the letters warning you that your points are now below 6 and you need a class you regain points.

The Solution.

You need to go to the Traffic office in Alicante or Murcia in person or with a authorised representative to find out if this is your case and why you have peen penalized with the point system  (take a translator). You will need to ask for a form to fill in your details and request that your points be rectified as you are a experienced driver. This will bring the points put to 9 points in your case. Once 3 years have passed since your offence then the points will be regaind automaticly unless you have been banned from driving then you will have to take a test.

This advice come out of experiance of helping people in similar situations and is most probable that it is your case given the details.

Regards,

Patrick.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2013 11:17 PM by alan63 Star rating in Orihuela. 50 posts Send private message

alan63´s avatar

Thanks for the information, you have put me at rest.

Like 0      
08 Jan 2013 10:09 PM by jaldridge Star rating in Manilva. 144 posts Send private message

jaldridge´s avatar

I just tried this for my licence and I have 12 points 

I was actually a bit worried as when I changed my licence to a Spanish one I received a letter telling me that I had lost points for something, yet I hadn't done anything wrong.

Looks like all is fine though.

Phew

Justin

EOS Team

Like 0      
09 Jan 2013 10:59 AM by Alan63 Star rating in Orihuela. 50 posts Send private message

Alan63´s avatar

Just got it sorted, quite painless realy, I was stopped a 18 month ago for talking on the phone while driving & finned. the situation was as patrick said & i have now applyed for points to be ajusted. All done and dusted.

Al

Like 0      
10 Jan 2013 8:57 PM by nicky71 Star rating in Orihuela/Sussex. 37 posts Send private message

nicky71´s avatar

That was quick.I thought things were supposed to be drawn out and frustraiting here.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2013 5:52 PM by alan63 Star rating in Orihuela. 50 posts Send private message

alan63´s avatar

Yes it was quick Nicky, Patrick took me to the trafico office & wisked me through the process. It was a releif to say the least. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Latest news out of Spain - government has spent 90% of pension fund! - 3 posts
Local Charity in Huelva - 0 posts
Having your first argument in Spanish - 1 posts
Hi everyone! - 1 posts
Triumph Vitesse Convertable for sale - 1 posts
Wanted French speaking home help - 3 posts
The Government wants help with Red-Tape Reform! - 49 posts
Campo/Pueblo/Urbanisation? - 5 posts
Resident Non EU citizens travelling outside Spain - 2 posts
New Here - 0 posts
Hi there!!! - 2 posts
Buying a car - 0 posts
Vueling does anyone have experience of using this airline - 10 posts
Sailing in Costa Blanca area - 0 posts
New noisy bar in comunidad, Costa Blanca - 6 posts
HAPPY NEW YEAR. - 0 posts
Bank Properties? - 12 posts
Ryanair - An open letter that says it all - 24 posts
legal question if someone can help me please - 3 posts
Honda CRV luxury - 4 posts
trigger - 3 posts
Happy 2013 from Costaluzlawyers - 4 posts
A Record to be proud of.. - 1 posts
Non Resident Taxes HELP/ADVICE NEEDED - 13 posts
Prescriptions can anyone help - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x