Is property crime one of the motives for moving back home?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Dec 2012 9:36 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Of course there are odd incidents of any crime. There was even a murder near Colmenar (Mâlaga province) a couple of years ago. But these are rare, and l do not walk rund the village in constant fear of being murdered! You have to live somewhere you feel comfortable. For me l would be more scared living in an isolated villa, even with security gates, as once someone was in l would be unprotected. Personally l feel safe in my village house and in the streets, any time of night.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
05 Dec 2012 9:55 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Back to the font of all knowledge (eurostat) for info up to 2009

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php?title=File:Crimes_recorded_by_the_police,_1999-2009_(1_000).png&filetimestamp=20121109145307

It made me smile that there were only 12 recorded crimes on Malta for the whole of 2009

Like 1      
05 Dec 2012 10:44 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Team GB,
                        they are your figures, but I think it shows the number of crimes per 1,000 of the population.

As we know there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

In the UK, during the first several years of my service there was real pressure on detectives to make every effort to classify crime allegations as ’no crime’ to keep recorded crime levels low.   Thus many actual crimes were were not classified as such.  Resulting in useless stats.

Of course there are cases where the criminal intent cannot be proved, say when a person finds his wallet is missing. It would normally everywhere be classified a loss not a theft. 

When one looks at figure unless one knows the circumstances in which  they were compiled, they cannot be relied on.

There is also the ‘problem’ where the point of making a crime report comes into play. 

If, as in Spain a higher percentage of victims are on holiday, and most are covered by insurance,  many more are likely to make a crime report, so they can claim.  There is also the temptation to make false claims and to inflate values. If they were ‘at home’ and not covered by insurance, then they may be much less eager to go to the trouble. 

Also, people may feel the police have ‘better things to do’ than ‘waste time’ investigating their 'insignificant crime.'

Or they may think the police will not bother anyway, so will not bother to make reports. 

Thus there are many variable  factors contained in ‘reported crime’ figures. Sufficient I feel that in many cases they are a complete red herring.

It is for those reasons (I keep on saying) I have been an interpreter in Spain for 15 years and ‘reminding’ readers that I also have 30 years hands-on experience in the UK,  and that what I say is based on that personal experience, not vague figures, impressions and bar room stories.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2012 10:57 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

John

They are not my figures, as I said published by the EU. 

I've no axe to grind either way, just thought it might interest posters on this thread to see the official stats, or be it only to 2009

It does seem to confirm however that reported crime is a lot lower in Spain than the UK

Like 1      
05 Dec 2012 11:12 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hi Team

I of course meant 'you' as in you introduced them. 

Good to see that you too though did not quite understand them (12 crimes in Malta)

This message was last edited by johnzx on 05/12/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

buying good quality sofa bed in the santa pola area - 1 posts
Humax Foxsat-HDR - 3 posts
Loss of TV channels - 16 posts
is football becoming more popular or less popular in spain these years? - 5 posts
Property Reforms in Granada - 0 posts
Of Coefficients and expense allocations ~ HELP! - 1 posts
El Tayo, Los Palacios, Formentera del Segura - 3 posts
Beware Valencia-Holiday security deposit scam - 2 posts
Should Estate Agents in Spain be Regulated ??? - 4 posts
Astra 2F - change over from 1N - Initial transponder list - 31 posts
Orange Gas Bottle = Mijas Costa - 3 posts
Recovery of costs - 3 posts
Spanish Title Deeds Insurance - 3 posts
Help? - 2 posts
licences and taxes for growing veg on own land - 0 posts
80% OF ALL JOBS ARE NOT ADVERTISED IN SPAIN - 1 posts
Watching UK TV in Spain - 41 posts
Couching - 0 posts
Cats on Complex - 2 posts
Free Language Exchange Anyone? - 0 posts
Capital Gains tax - 0 posts
agm agenda - 4 posts
EX18 Form - 0 posts
Endesagas - 0 posts
Visiting the UK - 18 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x