DHL + Buying From Abroad - BEWARE OF IMPORT TAXES AND KEEP ALL YOUR RECEIPTS

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Nov 2012 1:48 PM by craigedmonds Star rating in Marbella. 28 posts Send private message

craigedmonds´s avatar

Back in July 2012, I bought an iphone off Spanish ebay for one of my iphone developers in India (I bought it from ebay in spain and sent it to india becasue the price of iphones in India is more expensive than in spain)

The iphone project ended so the developer has sent the iphone back to me through DHL Express and was supposed to have arrived this morning and it did not materialise, so I checked on the DHL tracking site to find that it arrived last week and the status of the delivery is "Clearance Delay" and the note against it says "DHL needs to contact the Receiver but contact details provided are inaccurate or insufficient to make contact".

So, no problems, I find the number I need to call at DHL and after speaking to two people, I find that the phone has been held in customs (or dhl customs) as apprently there is no bill of sale for the item and they cant release it as I need to prove that I was not purchasing it from Inida and having it deleivered to Spain. (guilty before being proved innocent?).

Of course I explain to the lady at DHL that the phone is actually my own phone I did not buy it I was just getting it back.

Nevertheless, she tells me that I need to produce the receipt and proof of payment for the iphone otherwsie I will have to pay IVA on the item plus the asscoiated charges for processing the IVA.

So I have had to spend over an hour digging around to find the relevant ebay receipts and bank transfers made etc plus scan them and put them into an eamil and send them off, in the hope that its enough.

So, the 15 minute phone call to their 902 number + the hour or so preparing paperwork + the dealys on getting my phone back, its starting to become expensive.

Who is paying me for this? DHL got paid a nice hefty fee for delivering the package so they are not out of pocket.

So, all I have to say is that if you buy anything anywhere, whether its second hand or new, and you are sending it anywhere, make sure you have the receipt or you might have to talk to some arrogant DHL arsehole and prove that the item being sent is actually yours.

Like 0      
06 Nov 2012 4:59 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

DHL are entirely correct.

In additiion, it is not their fault (or their problem). This is all standard stuff when sending/receiving anything from outside the EU. You refer to "DHL Customs", it is not DHL Customs, but Spanish Customs. DHL are simply acting as broker on your behalf.

You need to send them the invioice for the 'phone showing that IVA/VAT was paid. It would help if this clearly has the phone serial number on it.  Otherwise, they (Spanish customs)  will charge it again, plus other duties and costs. The item should have been clearly declared as a "re-import". There are special procedures for this, and it is the shipper's responsibiity (not DHL's) to ensure that the correct paperwork is provided.

DHL are correct. Spanish Customs are correct. These are the procedures. The fact that you did not research them, or know them is not their problem, it's yours. DHL are actually helping you with customs here. It could be worse - you could be dealing with them direct.

Like 0      
06 Nov 2012 10:20 AM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

This was all done very, what's the word? -  naively. When the phone was sent to India it should have been sent with documentation for Indian customs. Then the recipient would have had documentaion showing where it came from, duties paid, etc. Then sending it back to Spain would have been relatively easy - accompanied by a copy of the documents showing its history. It would have been best to use a tariff heading "for repair" as strictly speaking once it was imported into India it became an "Indian" phone and no more deserving of tariff free, IVA free, etc importation into Spain than any other phone from India. If the woman at DHL doesn't bill for all this administrative hassle, and gets the phone delivered, someone is lucky and owes her a bunch of flowers.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Removals from UK to Spain - 4 posts
New NIE Number - 4 posts
What happens if AGM minutes are not adopted at the next AGM. - 1 posts
Must the AGM be called On tome within the anniversary date? Not longer. - 0 posts
Pre-retirement and got our S1 forms but where to take them? - 2 posts
english electrician wanted in the barcelona.area: urgent - 3 posts
Beware: Pet transport companies travelling from Spain to UK - 0 posts
Car - to buy or not to buy? - 11 posts
Duplicate Vehicle registration papers - 4 posts
Nota Simple - okay if a current mortgage shows up?? - 1 posts
Should Spain have one centralised Government? - 19 posts
Spain plans to privatise more healthcare- is this the way forward? - 52 posts
IBI - local tax - 6 posts
CAR EXCHANGE. SPANISH FOR ENGLISH - 1 posts
Norman Sands: Where are you? - 28 posts
PERSON WITH A VAN WANTED TO TRANSPORT GOODS TO ENGLAN - 5 posts
Kitchen Units / Doors / sink - 0 posts
Wrougt Iron Headboard for 5ft bed - 0 posts
Where to buy chemicals in bulk? - 5 posts
New low cost airline from January 2013 - 0 posts
Factura advice - 11 posts
New Gatwick to Alicante route - 0 posts
letter from town hall - 2 posts
Just Bought on Condado - 1 posts
Cupcakes anyone?! - Canadians in need of need love - 17 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x