New NIE Number

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Nov 2012 3:35 PM by belgravia Star rating in Valencia. 7 posts Send private message

Recently I have had cause to renew my UK driving license and because I am living in Spain, have to replace it with a Spanish one. Trafico have said I need a “green’ NIE document even though I have a NIE on white paper.

A friend suggested I do the process through a ‘gestoria’ who said that from April 1st this year, all expats are required to obtain a new NIE document on ‘green’ paper and until I get this I cannot renew my driving license.

I have had to supply the old NIE number, passport details, copy of medical card, my UK pension details, the UK reciprocal medical agreement, bank statement, and a document proving we are living where we say we are living from the local council.

Does anyone else know of this and would like to comment?

Like 0      
04 Nov 2012 4:01 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi Belgravia

Here are 2 links to peruse which should clarify matters.

http://www.inlandcosta.com/information/residents-certificate.php

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=765626

Regards

Nigel

Like 0      
04 Nov 2012 4:55 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Belgravia. 
                          The NIE certificate (white one) is what everyone needs who has any financial dealings in Spain, (owns a property etc) but who are not resident.

The ‘Green one’  As you call it, is the EU Foreign Citizens Registration Certificate, which applies to those who spend 3 or more months Permanently in Spain , or a total of 183 days or more in 12 months ,or who have their main centre of activities in Spain.  It took the place of the Residencia, which was abolished for EU citizens in 2007

The number remains  the same, if when applying for the Citizens Reg Cert,  you already had an NIE Cert.

According to the Hacienda (but not some posters) once you have have registered you are immediately tax resident in Spain.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 04/11/2012.

Like 0      
05 Nov 2012 1:29 PM by belgravia Star rating in Valencia. 7 posts Send private message

Thank you for your help, John and NIgel. Thank you Nigel for the links, useful information but the download link doesn't work anymore, it seems. And John, I have been told the number will be a new one. I cannot use my old number. Anyway, many thanks for the information, gratefully received.

Like 0      
05 Nov 2012 2:58 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Belgravia,

If you have not cancelled your NIE then it remains valid, but as I said if they are talking about 'the green cert'  it mean you must register on UE citizens register at the National Police.  The ‘white cert’ will not be enough, albeit, that the EU Reg will have the same number.

As you said you are living in Spain then you should have registered when you had been here  no longer than 3months, as you have been resident since then.  

It is not a new requirement,  but the proceedure changed  this year, making it more complicated.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What happens if AGM minutes are not adopted at the next AGM. - 1 posts
Must the AGM be called On tome within the anniversary date? Not longer. - 0 posts
Pre-retirement and got our S1 forms but where to take them? - 2 posts
english electrician wanted in the barcelona.area: urgent - 3 posts
Beware: Pet transport companies travelling from Spain to UK - 0 posts
Car - to buy or not to buy? - 11 posts
Duplicate Vehicle registration papers - 4 posts
Nota Simple - okay if a current mortgage shows up?? - 1 posts
Should Spain have one centralised Government? - 19 posts
Spain plans to privatise more healthcare- is this the way forward? - 52 posts
IBI - local tax - 6 posts
CAR EXCHANGE. SPANISH FOR ENGLISH - 1 posts
Norman Sands: Where are you? - 28 posts
PERSON WITH A VAN WANTED TO TRANSPORT GOODS TO ENGLAN - 5 posts
Kitchen Units / Doors / sink - 0 posts
Wrougt Iron Headboard for 5ft bed - 0 posts
Where to buy chemicals in bulk? - 5 posts
New low cost airline from January 2013 - 0 posts
Factura advice - 11 posts
New Gatwick to Alicante route - 0 posts
letter from town hall - 2 posts
Just Bought on Condado - 1 posts
Cupcakes anyone?! - Canadians in need of need love - 17 posts
looking for long term rental - 0 posts
Solicitor asking for part payment in cash - 28 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x