Nobel Peace Prize 2012 for the European Union - What do you think?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Oct 2012 11:10 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

The Euopean Union  has just been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. The Norwegian prize committee said the EU received the award for six decades of contributions “to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe. 

So with the turmoil in Europe over the past couple of years who will collect the Prize? 

Germany ? Greece? 

Has the Peace Prize now become a political prize? or does the EU deserve it?

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
12 Oct 2012 12:44 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Democracy in the EU..........?????????????????? More delusion, I'm surprised at the Norwegians especially as they had the sense to stay out of it!

Poppyseed

Like 0      
12 Oct 2012 12:50 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Take note that the prize is the Peace Prize. Nothing to do with democracy.

Is it not worthy of some reward that we have had no war between any two or more elements of the EU for 60 years?

Personally I believe that at least some of those who are at pains to undermine the EU, and who wish to destroy it, are in their minds, maybe subconciously, keen on war and  wish such upon current members of the EU.

This message was last edited by marcbernard on 12/10/2012.

Like 0      
12 Oct 2012 12:56 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

In 2009 it was awarded to Barack Obama...

In 2007 it went to the IPCC and Al Gore...

In 2002 Jimmy Carter...

Its a totally meaningless piece of junk that has had no significace whatsoever for years

Look at this list and be amazed or disgusted...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
12 Oct 2012 1:04 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

quote...Is it not worthy of some reward that we have had no war between any two or more elements of the EU for 60 years?

Sorry but in a word NO!

Of course there havent been any wars between member states. Politicians are far too busy patting each other on the back I mean,  with or without the benefit of hindsight would you trust any of these 'gentlemen'

And there was no real objection from member states when NATO bombed the sh*t out of Serbia and Montengro...

This message was last edited by foxbat on 12/10/2012.

Like 0      
12 Oct 2012 1:49 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Fantastic image of Snr Rajoy Foxbat 

Have another look, the look of sheer terror as he is told that Angela Merkel is on the phone for him

Like 0      
12 Oct 2012 1:54 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Tee-hee

Wonderful!

Like 0      
12 Oct 2012 6:54 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

The nobel peace prize for me is loosing a lot of weight. Barrack Obama, EU etc What is this? Is Norway trying to make friends here?

Bet Germany will go up to receive it and then refuse to share it with Greece!  

Funny how the United States hasn't received it being the peace-keepers of the world!!!!  You get human rights if you can pay the interest, look at Greece and the way Julian Assange is being dealt with by EU members is a great example of democracy, freedom of speech and human rights.

You are absolutely right about Serbia too Foxbat.

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
12 Oct 2012 11:57 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

marcbernard, I was going to respond especially  your incredibly silly last paragraph but couldn't find the words that wouldn't offend and be censored (it's been a very long day) so I'll leave you with this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2217031/This-prize-insult-democracy.html

Foxbat, you are spot on, the rouge's gallery speaks volumes!

Poppyseed

Like 0      
13 Oct 2012 12:42 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Further to my earlier post, a gentle reminder of what it all supposed to be about... I put this up on another forum in answer to a posters total agreement with this years award...

Excerpt from the Will of Alfred Nobel…

“The whole of my remaining realizable estate shall be dealt with in the following way: the capital, invested in safe securities by my executors, shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually distributed in the form of prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind. The said interest shall be divided into five equal parts, which shall be apportioned as follows: one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery or invention within the field of physics; one part to the person who shall have made the most important chemical discovery or improvement; one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery within the domain of physiology or medicine; one part to the person who shall have produced in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction; and one part to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses. The prizes for physics and chemistry shall be awarded by the Swedish Academy of Sciences; that for physiology or medical works by the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm; that for literature by the Academy in Stockholm, and that for champions of peace by a committee of five persons to be elected by the Norwegian Storting. It is my express wish that in awarding the prizes no consideration be given to the nationality of the candidates, but that the most worthy shall receive the prize, whether he be Scandinavian or not.”

Now so far as I can see the only way in which the EU meets any of these stipulations is that part regarding the ‘abolition or reduction of standing armies’ Most EU countries seem to meet this requirement; most have been forced into reductions in manpower and hardware. The UK and Spain particularly… to the point where in a couple of years time the UK might not be able to meet its NATO commitments and will become little more than a Self Defence Force. The same holds true for Spain. Leaders of both countries stated in their election manifestos that they would pull out of Afghanistan… the troops are still there and sadly say their numbers are being reduced but not in the way that Alfred Nobel had in mind..

The EUs politicians spend so much time on self congratulatory business they have no time for ‘the holding and promotion of peace congresses.’  For instance what has Tony Blair achieved as the EU peace envoy to the Middle East?

‘Fraternity between nations?’ Even within the EU there is more back-stabbing than fraternity.

As for the previous winners… How does an individual like Al Gore and / or an organisation like the IPCC meet any of the Peace prize stipulations?

Likewise Barack Obama?

Personally I think the last deserving winners of the Peace Prize have to be the 1964 award to Martin Luther King… 1976 Betty Williams and Mairead Corrigan and in 1991 to Aung San Suu Kyi.

Time I think for a reality check!

fb

Like 0      
13 Oct 2012 12:58 PM by vikki13 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I think the EU have kept the peace in Europe and do deserve the prize.

It's not all about money,  talk to the poor people in Syria about peace and being able to live without the fear of being shot in your own home.

Long may we all belong to the EU and let Angela Merkel accept the prize for she does believe in a united Europe and we need Germany on our side, so please stop wringing about Norway giving the Nobel award to the EU.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2012 8:40 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

I think        

Nobody who thinks could possibly say the following

the EU have kept the peace in Europe  

Nuts, two things kept the peace in Europe. The first was the NATO which kept the USSR and warsaw pact at bay until they crumbled and the second that most of the countries of western Europe were democracies and there has never been a case of democracies going to war with each other. The EU has been propagating the lie that it somehow kept the peace for so long that people are beginning to believe it.

and do deserve the prize.

The only prize the EU could possibly deserve is one for financial mis-management.

This message was last edited by tteedd on 13/10/2012.

Like 0      
14 Oct 2012 12:43 AM by earlieo Star rating in Orlando, Florida, US.... 5 posts Send private message

I think there has been peace in Europe (at least in terms of military war!) in spite of the EU...not because of it.  And  tteedd is right...give the prize to democracy, not to Angela Merkel of Germany who has tended to dominate and dictate how the EU should be run.

Like 0      
14 Oct 2012 12:48 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

14 Oct 2012 1:59 AM by earlieo Star rating in Orlando, Florida, US.... 5 posts Send private message

Yes,FB!

Good job there is "peace" in the EU so Angela can collect her prize!?!

Like 0      
14 Oct 2012 8:05 AM by arsenal04 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

It is obvious that the prize will go to David Cameron because he is giving so much Foreign Aid to countries that don't need it whether Britain can afford it or not. That is his great plan and he is sticking to it no matter how many people he hurts.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Ayamonte area. - 0 posts
Nueva Sierra De Altomira Urbanisation - 0 posts
Handy Man Required - 5 posts
Introduction - 0 posts
Moving to Almeria - 0 posts
Cam Bank/Cleyton GES Final legal decision - 2 posts
fishing licence for Murcia - 4 posts
Advice on getting rid of Villa - 1 posts
Easyjet flights - substantially higher in 2013? - 9 posts
removals - 3 posts
Removals - 1 posts
WANTED MEDIUM TO LARGE GARDEN DOG KENNEL - 0 posts
moving to santa pola - 0 posts
The Spanish Red Cross - 2 posts
Social Security in Spain. Do they leave you to die the road side? - 18 posts
Is it just the Spanish courts or are the UK ones just as bad? - 12 posts
Inheritance tax and subsequent tax liability if I sell and take money back to uk or reinvest in Spain - 6 posts
How do you know you've become a local? - 16 posts
Pet Transport companies in Spain / UK - 3 posts
Checking in with animals at Malaga airport - 0 posts
reliable car mechanic - 1 posts
Costa Del Sol Free Thinkers - 0 posts
INTERNATIONAL COURIER SERVICE IN ESTEPONA,SABINILLAS OR IN TOWNS NEARBY - 0 posts
Keeping fit in Spain - local gyms - 0 posts
What credibility do Spanish goods have abroad? - 19 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x