Inheritance tax and subsequent tax liability if I sell and take money back to uk or reinvest in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Oct 2012 3:25 PM by Destiny villas Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Apologies for the long winded title. I will shortly (sadly) be inheriting(along with a sibling) a property in Spain. My mother has done everything"properly" but won't really discuss it with us. My concerns are what it will cost my brother and I just to keep it as is. Should we decide to sell and bring money home is there a further tax and if we sell and buy 2 properties is the tax liability lessened? My brother and I do not get on so the simplest solution that I can present to him will hopefully be best.I have no idea what the property is worth but I would guess between 200-250k and is un encumbered. Any advice would be gratefully accepted

Like 0      
11 Oct 2012 8:59 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

When one inherits in Spain, say a property or part of one, they must pay the tax due before they can take possession and sell the asset.

For non-resident inheritors the tax free allowance is I believe around 17,000 euros per person, after that there is a sliding scale of tax liability, which also involves calculations based on the assets already owned (anywhere) by the inheritor.  The rules also vary between autonomous regions.

Contrary to the advice I would normally give, I suggest you consult a legal professional, as it is I believe a potential minefield.

PS My mother has done everything"properly" but won't really discuss it with us.   

I don't know how you can be certain of this. I would suggest that you find out now what has been done, who has done it and confirm that is is all in order.  Otherwise it will be you paying the bills (and arguing with your sibling)  to get it sorted.

Like 0      
11 Oct 2012 10:09 AM by Destiny villas Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi Johnzx, Thanks so much for the info, scary though it was! thats a big lump were going to have to find, im sure my mum didnt ever think leaving us the place would be so expensive. I will of course take legal advice when the time comes. Do you know of another way we could have gone about it? I dont want to burden my kids  in the same way later on! Thanks again for your help mate.

Like 0      
11 Oct 2012 10:20 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I would suggest you speak to a professionally qualified person. 

I am sure one can take steps to mitigate taxes, but I cannot advise as I am resident and my wife, also resident, will inherit the bulk of my 'fortune' hahahaha. 

Thus I have some idea of that scenario in relation to the Region where we live.

Like 0      
11 Oct 2012 10:22 AM by norm de plume Star rating in North Tenerife and L.... 162 posts Send private message

Try and hold out as long as possible before doing anything.  The discrimination against non-resident property owners on Inheritance Tax should be rectified in the near future.  Spain has been told to get its house in order.

Like 0      
11 Oct 2012 10:25 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Try and hold out as long as possible before doing anything.

I understand that taxes due on inheritance must be paid within six months of the death (open to correction),

Like 0      
11 Oct 2012 10:30 AM by norm de plume Star rating in North Tenerife and L.... 162 posts Send private message

If the worst comes to the worst, any new law is likely to be retrospective (leading to another growth industry in claims firms).

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How do you know you've become a local? - 16 posts
Pet Transport companies in Spain / UK - 3 posts
Checking in with animals at Malaga airport - 0 posts
reliable car mechanic - 1 posts
Costa Del Sol Free Thinkers - 0 posts
INTERNATIONAL COURIER SERVICE IN ESTEPONA,SABINILLAS OR IN TOWNS NEARBY - 0 posts
Keeping fit in Spain - local gyms - 0 posts
What credibility do Spanish goods have abroad? - 19 posts
Solution for debt problems - 0 posts
Making Wills - 2 posts
are yanks welcome? - 10 posts
Prospective rise in Spanish retirement age, how will it affect UK pensioners in Spain? - 3 posts
walking to la zenia boulavard - 5 posts
Paramount theme park - 7 posts
Paramount Kent!!! - 27 posts
Do you live in or around Nerja? Weather info needed! - 11 posts
The running costs of Electricity and Water - 5 posts
New satellite channels from 11th October, Capital & Heart TV - 0 posts
Interested to hear views on this - 9 posts
BONFIRE NIGHT & HALLOWEEN - 9 posts
Advertising Errors in Spain - 3 posts
How would you sell a Static Caravan for Sale? - 7 posts
Air Rifles - The law in Spain? - 0 posts
Traditional townhouse wanted to buy in Jalon valley area - cash buyers - 0 posts
Wanted, long term rental from mid march 2013 couple with small dog. Honest & genuine. - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x