Easyjet flights - substantially higher in 2013?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Oct 2012 1:11 PM by nigela Star rating. 415 posts Send private message

I normally book my August flights in November as they generally get more expensive later.  Last year I paid about £620 for 2 adults and 2 children flying from Bristol to Murcia.   On the same dates for next year the prices are now £1092!  Has anyone any idea why the prices are so high this year?  Do you think its best to wait to see if they are likely to come down?

Like 0      
11 Oct 2012 1:22 PM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

philevans´s avatar

I wonder if its because you can now choose your seat before you fly for £3. They will lose a lot of revenue from speedy boarding. May have something to do with it!!!

Last year for christmas week Bristol to Malaga 450. Gatwick - Gibraltar 250

This year Bristol is cheaper the Gatwick??????

I dont understand it either

What you see is what you get 

Like 0      
12 Oct 2012 10:57 AM by nigela Star rating. 415 posts Send private message

It is a massive increase on last year - I have never paid more than £700 for four people in August - looking at Flybe and Monach they both appear to be about the same price.  It would appear that the return price is a lot higher - has there been a change in Spanish legislation for this to be the case?

Like 0      
12 Oct 2012 1:30 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Yes we noticed that the flights were considerably more this year .  There may be a host of reasons - higher fuel,  loss of speedy boarding , loss of credit card charges by December . EJ have until December to lose them . We were charged credit card fees and the admin charge when we bought 3 sets of tickets this week .   We bought ours early as the prices were going  up before our eyes .

I heard on the TV this morning although I could not wait to see , that a budgert airline were going to charge for hand luggage and a considerably smaller case  - no need to bet which airline that wil be ???  No doubt the rest will follow. I fear the era of cheap flights is quickly disappearing.

Do you think its best to wait to see if they are likely to come down?

Absolutley not . Prices changed within the hour this week .  Buy as soon as you can .

Like 0      
13 Oct 2012 8:33 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
I thought Bristol to Málaga was quite good value this winter. My flight early Dec returning mid-Jan was £75 return, and my late-Jan one-way ticket Bristol to Málaga was £39. Both were booked in August.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
13 Oct 2012 8:37 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Tamsin - yes l heard that item about smaller hand-luggage too! However Ryanair are still selling their cabin bags which are 55 x 45 x 20cm which they GUARANTEE will always be free - so unless they start charging for all bags that they haven't sold us (!) they can't really levy a charge on bags that size. I hope!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
13 Oct 2012 11:05 PM by westport Star rating in London & Co.Mayo Ire.... 509 posts Send private message

There is a new boss at Easyjet, obviously looking to boost the coffers. The flights are way higher than last year. One way back from Malaga, the last weekend in August with a case was just under £ 400 one way. They can't just blame fuel costs as the percentage difference to last year is way out. This ploy from Easyjet will backfire in the long run if they continue. They won't be known as a budget airline and people will take their business elsewhere.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2012 11:16 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

I have booked some really cheap flights for 2013 with easyJet.

It is all about supply and demand. Easyjet like everyone else increase or decrease prices depending on bookings. The only exception to this is they always charge top wack for late bookings as they reckon you have to fly!

David

Like 0      
13 Oct 2012 11:40 PM by westport Star rating in London & Co.Mayo Ire.... 509 posts Send private message

I was on the Easyjet website when the Summer schedule went live. Some of the return flights the last weekend of August before the kids go back to school were nearly double the previous year. They are clearly taking advantage of the fact it is school holidays. I know the airlines have all had that policy of supply and demand, but not charging nearly double as soon as the flights became available. Thankfully I was able to avoid flying back at the weekend saving nearly £ 900 for 3 of us. As for the allocated seating, I was on one of the trial flights for this and the staff said it was a complete waste of time, as people were turning up at the gate at the last minute to board knowing that they had their seats pre booked, so now instead of boarding the back of the plane first in rows numbers, to speed up the boarding process, it will still be the free for all standing in line half an hour before the plane even pulls in. Nothing changes. They may as well merge both companies and call it EasyRyanJet.

Like 0      
15 Oct 2012 1:57 AM by llegaralasestrellas Star rating in United Kingdom (BHX .... 58 posts Send private message

llegaralasestrellas´s avatar

I think it's just price gorging to be honest. On the sunbelt routes to ALC / MJV / LEI / AGP. Now EZ have Thomas Cook on board, they don't have to worry so much about individual travellers since they know have revenue anyway from the blocks of seats sold in advance.

It might be cheaper to fly into "business / city-break" destinations like Seville / Valencia / Barcelona, depending on where your final destination is. No gurantees, obviously, but it might be worth having a look.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

removals - 3 posts
Removals - 1 posts
WANTED MEDIUM TO LARGE GARDEN DOG KENNEL - 0 posts
moving to santa pola - 0 posts
The Spanish Red Cross - 2 posts
Social Security in Spain. Do they leave you to die the road side? - 18 posts
Is it just the Spanish courts or are the UK ones just as bad? - 12 posts
Inheritance tax and subsequent tax liability if I sell and take money back to uk or reinvest in Spain - 6 posts
How do you know you've become a local? - 16 posts
Pet Transport companies in Spain / UK - 3 posts
Checking in with animals at Malaga airport - 0 posts
reliable car mechanic - 1 posts
Costa Del Sol Free Thinkers - 0 posts
INTERNATIONAL COURIER SERVICE IN ESTEPONA,SABINILLAS OR IN TOWNS NEARBY - 0 posts
Keeping fit in Spain - local gyms - 0 posts
What credibility do Spanish goods have abroad? - 19 posts
Solution for debt problems - 0 posts
Making Wills - 2 posts
are yanks welcome? - 10 posts
Prospective rise in Spanish retirement age, how will it affect UK pensioners in Spain? - 3 posts
walking to la zenia boulavard - 5 posts
Paramount theme park - 7 posts
Paramount Kent!!! - 27 posts
Do you live in or around Nerja? Weather info needed! - 11 posts
The running costs of Electricity and Water - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x