U.K. Driving licence.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Jan 2013 6:17 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Johnzx

"PS there was some confusion about how long the Spanish DL lasts for 65 year olds and over. My friend got 5 years whenI applied, a couple of months later, in Nov 2011, I got 3 years, (God bless Spain !!!! )"

You must have different classes on your licence. As far as I know they generally renew on the basis of the lowest class. A standard car (upto 3,500kg) is Class B, and I think Class A are motor cycles.

These are the (translated) renewal periods for licences, and presumably medicals.

1. The driving license BTP classes, C1, C1 + E, C, C + E, D1, D1 + E, D and D + E will have a term of five years while the holder does not meet the sixty-five years and three years after that age.

2. The remaining classes permit and driver's license, regardless of class, will have a term of ten years and the owner does not comply with the sixty-five years and five years after that age.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2013 11:22 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
I know it's almost the end of January but I've just made my big New Year's Resolution.
Never read information on driving rules and regulations on a chat site. The difference in opinions is incredible, misleading and possibly downright dangerous. Whether it's driving round roundabouts, documentation to carry, who you can carry or even what license you need.
Despite a link to the actual rules, a statement from the head honcho at trafico in Alicante (not Malaga, note) there are still comments from those who know far better because his mate at the pub told him!
The law says you don't need to change licenses if you have a European one. It's there in black and white but it still gets argued about. I changed my license at aged 62 and didn't require a medical because the people working at trafico told me I didn't need one but still those who know better say I did need one.
Time to call it a day on all this extremely unhelpful and argumentative and, frankly, misinformed advice, methinks.
For what it's worth, I got NIE with no problems apart from queuing for some time. I got residencia (despite being told many, many times it is not residencia but the bank, the solicitors, the police and every other non-pedajtic person refers to it as that) on one, short visit to Elche police station despite being told I couldn't as only Orihuela or Alicante does it in this area. I got padron from a very nice man at our local town hall in about 2 minutes and a SIP card from a very nice lady at the same town hall with the permanent card and SS number on it a couple of months later. Even before I had that SIP card I was treated very nicely at Torrevieja hospital on the strength of an EHIC card. I've bought a car, I've paid off my mortgage and got my deeds from the bank. I have my driving license, I have (unfortunately and some years ago now) been involved in a traffiic accident and treated very nicely by a Guardia Civil who even helped me fill in the accident report. I've even, heaven forbid and unbelievable though it may seem, taken something back to Carrefour and exchanged it with no argument!
Why do people try and make everything so difficult?

Like 0      
26 Jan 2013 7:37 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As far as I know they generally renew on the basis of the lowest class.

When 'as far as I know' takes presidence over fact,  Bob I am with you.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2013 8:34 AM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

As you can only have one licence, then if you have different classes, when it is renewed, it can only be renewed for the lowest possible renewal period. That's a fact, as the renewal periods are stated in the law, as I posted. I personally haven't got different classes, so as I have no personal experience, my 'as far as I know' statement is based on the law as I posted.

You said that your friend got a longer period than you, so I was providing the information to explain why that was the case. That's seems to be a fairly reasonable post to me, so I'm not really sure why you responded as you did.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2013 9:04 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Kathyslad
                        You said that your friend got a longer period than you, so I was providing the information to explain why that was the case. That's seems to be a fairly reasonable post to me, so I'm not really sure why you responded as you did.

Because when I said , “PS there was some confusion about how long the Spanish DL lasts for 65 year olds and over.  My friend got 5 years when I applied, a couple of months later,  in Nov 2011,  I got 3 years, (God bless Spain !!!! )”  

It was because Trafico were confused.   They has misinterpreted a change in the law regarding how long DL's for drivers over 65 should be valid for. (5 years instead of 3)   When they realised their mistake they corrected it.  (My friend got his DL before they corrected the error)

(Rhetorically :-     Why is it that only you, Kathyslad, almost always seems to choose to misunderstand / criticise almost any post I make ?

Like 0      
26 Jan 2013 9:27 AM by kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Based on the information you provided, my post was perfectly reasonable. Now you've added some more information, then fine, they made a mistake, but in fact, if your friend did have different classes, then this would have been the case. 

In answer to your rhetorical question, you need read the post I replied to, as it's not correct, even though you hoped it was, but I didn't say that, as I always try to make reasonable posts.

As I've said before, sometimes my views are different to yours, and I'm allowed to post those views. 

It would help if you didn't make sarcastic posts in response.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2013 11:37 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As you see from the below Traffico table there is no variation in the period of validity, unless one has a medical condition which may worsen.

However, I expect you will disagree as it is my post, and you will say your opinion is at least as good as Trafico’s interpretation of the law .

http://www.dgt.es/portal/gl/oficina_virtual/conductores/renovaciones/?tit=Vigencia

El permiso de conducción de las clases BTP, C1, C1 + E, C, C + E, D1, D1 + E, D y D + E tendrá un período de vigencia de cinco años mientras su titular no cumpla los sesenta y cinco años y de tres años a partir de esa edad.

El permiso de las clases restantes y la licencia de conducción, cualquiera que sea su clase, tendrán un período de vigencia de diez años mientras su titular no cumpla los sesenta y cinco años y de cinco años a partir de esa edad.

El período de vigencia de las diversas clases de permiso y licencia de conducción señalado en los apartados anteriores podrá reducirse si, al tiempo de su concesión o de la prórroga de su vigencia, se comprueba que su titular padece enfermedad o deficiencia que, si bien de momento no impide aquélla, es susceptible de agravarse.

El permiso o licencia de conducción cuya vigencia hubiese vencido no autoriza a su titular a conducir y su utilización dará lugar a su intervención inmediata por la autoridad o sus agentes.

La vigencia del permiso y de la licencia de conducción, además, estará condicionada a que su titular no haya perdido totalmente la asignación inicial de puntos.

Asimismo, con independencia de lo dispuesto en los apartados anteriores, la vigencia de los permisos y las licencias de conducción estará subordinada a que su titular mantenga los requisitos exigidos para su otorgamiento.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2013 12:12 PM by KathysLad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

I'm not sure why you think I would disagree with your post, as its the same information from the same source that I posted, except I posted a translation.

The only point I would make is that if you have licence with just class B and class BTP, (and I know that other classes are added automatically) which have different validity dates i.e 10 years and 5 years if you're under 65, and 5 years and 3 years if you're over 65, then when it is renewed the validity will be for 5 years if you're under 65, and 3 years if you're over 65, unless as you say one has a medical condition. 

Are you saying thats not the case ?

This message was last edited by KathysLad on 26/01/2013.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2013 12:22 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I'm not sure why you think I would disagree with your post

** EDITED - inciting **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 26/01/2013.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2013 12:40 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Inciting **. I think it's safe to assume from your reply, that you now accept that validity's can be different for the reasons I posted.

So, will you now be posting a link to Trafico to support the information you posted that you hoped was right.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2013 12:53 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Kathyslad, as stupid as it might seem the validity period for each class is shown on the back of the licence , 10 years for cars +trailers , bikes & 5 years for vans ,trailers , trucks , etc. If you wish to maintain vans ,trailers, etc; then the whole licence has to be renewed every 5 years up to age 70.  Many people fail to realise this & are running around in vans etc; with expired validitys.

The EU law doesn't specifically state that only one licence is allowed but alludes to it as though it is the case. I was looking at it the other day. It is quite possible for people to have more than one licence, just like they'll have vehicles in different countries.

My brother actually had 3 EU licences , German, English, Swedish , all taken & passed in the respective countries in the days there was no exchange & before the EU existed. He also had a legal one from Arizona .

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2013 1:08 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Gus

I read article 7.5 in the directive as meaning you can only have one licence.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2013 1:15 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Sorry Gus, meant to add, but can't now edit

Isn't it every 5 years in Spain until 65, and then 3 years after that for vans etc.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2013 7:52 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"Why is it that only you, Kathyslad, almost always seems to choose to misunderstand / criticise almost any post I make ?"

Ignoring the fact that you asked this rhetorically (presumably because nobody is allowed to answer back), I can't resist the temptation to suggest that perhaps it's because everybody else has just given up and gone to another forum.

"I have no doubt that even Kathyslad understood it was UK citizens (and other EU citizens) who are resident in Spain."

The touble is that even when your posts aren't crystal clear, you still believe they are and assume everyone will understand you perfectly, but when someone else makes a slight faux pas, you are very quick to condemn them. If only you could just once in a while admit to the possibility that you are not totally infallible. ** EDITED - Inciting **

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
26 Jan 2013 9:34 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Inciting **

Like 0      
26 Jan 2013 11:14 PM by eos_moderators Star rating in España. 173 posts Send private message

eos_moderators´s avatar

Hi, it would be great if we can keep things on track here, respect everyone's opinion and view and discuss matters in a civil manner without being argumentative and inciting other members. Please keep your cool at all times and if you do disagree with another member's post, please disagree in a friendly manner and that way we can maintain the spirit of the forum :)

Thanks.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2013 11:35 PM by ElviriaDreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

ElviriaDreamer´s avatar

Ssssssh EOS please!

I sense a wedding soon and I have the perfect dress and sparkly shoes  :)

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

When the family come to visit - they won't all fit in the car. - 1 posts
Ryanair Flights - 2 posts
Spanish TV in the community - 1 posts
BRITISH DRIVING LICENCE AND RESIDENCE - 0 posts
Exporting ypur Spanish car to the U.K. - 0 posts
Temoporary Structures, What are the rules? - 1 posts
FIAT PUNTO - 1 posts
what happens if you have lost your nie? - 2 posts
BRITTANY FERRIES STRIKE - READ IF YOU ARE TRAVELLING UP TO 28 SEPTEMBER - 0 posts
BRITTANY FERRIES STRIKE - READ IF YOU ARE TRAVELLING UP TO 28 SEPTEMBER - 0 posts
Mastercard - 1 posts
greedy wife stealing inheritance from children - 0 posts
Form 210 Joint Property Ownership - 6 posts
Registering with a doctor - 11 posts
Tenants rights - 2 posts
Hi. New guy here looking to move to Spain eventually - 33 posts
Hello. I am new to this forum and would like some advice please - 0 posts
British driving licence and Residence in Spain - 245 posts
Large Hi Roof van leaving nw,eng for murcia oct 15th - 3 posts
garden work - 0 posts
What are your thoughts on Spain's economic crisis? - 78 posts
DEPOSITS ON RENTAL CONTRACTS - 3 posts
Community fees - Monthly service charges in arrears - 15 posts
Horse meat, would you eat it? - 86 posts
Expats in Catalunya. What if.....? - 35 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 37

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x