fire raging at the moment

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Aug 2012 10:59 PM by karename Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

i can see a very large fire from my house in the campo in coin,does anyone know anything aboout it

Like 0      
30 Aug 2012 11:39 PM by AJB1 Star rating in Benahavis, Costa del.... 63 posts Send private message

31 Aug 2012 1:55 AM by promedia Star rating in Cheshire/Riviera del.... 134 posts Send private message

Just driven back from Benahavis through to Riviera del Sol and it's an unbelievable sight. I believe the fire started at about 6pm and has now spread so widely due to the breeze that it looks like the whole of the hills alone elveria are alight. The sky is a deep red glow behing the hills of Calahonda. Let's hope nobody is trapped or hurt , don't think his is going to stop in this wind and it's on it's way to Marbella, it didn't look like it was coming down towards the coast as the winds are coming off the sea.

Ian Cook - Golf Gardens Miraflores - The best place to live on the Costa del Sol

"A day without sunshine is like.................night"

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 1:55 AM by promedia Star rating in Cheshire/Riviera del.... 134 posts Send private message

Just driven back from Benahavis through to Riviera del Sol and it's an unbelievable sight. I believe the fire started at about 6pm and has now spread so widely due to the breeze that it looks like the whole of the hills alone elveria are alight. The sky is a deep red glow behing the hills of Calahonda. Let's hope nobody is trapped or hurt , don't think his is going to stop in this wind and it's on it's way to Marbella, it didn't look like it was coming down towards the coast as the winds are coming off the sea.

Ian Cook - Golf Gardens Miraflores - The best place to live on the Costa del Sol

"A day without sunshine is like.................night"

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 2:08 AM by karename Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

i am in the coin campo and can see it raging from here,it looks like armaggedon,maybe we could get together on this site and help the people caught up in it,wind is changing direction so god knows where its going next

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 2:43 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

News is hard to come by, the wind is gusting and changing direction

But this fire is in a arc from Marbella to Alhaurin 

The top of Calahonda has been evacuated

The roads from Fuengirola inland to Alhaurin, Coin and Mijas have been closed

I've heard from a Facebook source that the military have been called in.

From my home it's a truely frightning sight.

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 2:49 AM by karename Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

look at mijascomunicacion.org,they have coverage of it

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 10:40 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

This is the most updated info I can find

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_35637.shtml

Its still not out and we have around six fire planes working

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 11:25 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

News is now on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19433715

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 11:35 AM by JLB Star rating in In a campervan. 1 posts Send private message

So sad to see this happening. I spent a lot of this year in the region, especially around Barranco Blanco, Coin, monda and all along the coast between Benalmadena and Estepona. I hope it is contained quickly for the sake of the wildlife and the tourism on which Spain depends.

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 4:36 PM by jaldridge Star rating in Manilva. 144 posts Send private message

jaldridge´s avatar

I've never seen anything like this.  This has to be the worse summer in history for fires across Spain.

My understanding is that it started yesterday evening but they couldn't get the planes and helicopters in action to drop water on the fires until daylight this morning.  The high winds have made the whole thing considerably worse too.

Very scary scenes, the entire village of Ojen as been evacuated and they are still trying to control the fire around there.  This is massive.

There is an updated page on Diario Sur which you can follow.  I saw this video on there too...very scary

Justin

EOS Team

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 6:27 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Absolutely devastating!  Drove through there on the AP7 this morning on way to Benalmadena and it was frightening!  So sad.  Stretched from just past La Cañada, Marbella to Calahonda toll.  Don't know about you Justin, but we had ash all over our place this morning and just came back (after leaving terrace door open) to find ash in house!  And we are, I believe, about 50kms from nearest point of fire!

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 6:50 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

We have spent the whole day cleaning up, ash everywhere. The fire got to within 2kms of our place.

The BBC are showing footage of Calahonda on the main news bulletins (well they did at 17-00)

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 6:57 PM by jaldridge Star rating in Manilva. 144 posts Send private message

jaldridge´s avatar

Yeah, the smell of smoke and the amount of ash was a surprise considering how far away we are.  But just shows what a monster fire it was and the strength of the (unhelpful) wind.

The BBC were saying that it's mostly under control now, I hope that's true.

Justin

EOS Team

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 9:52 PM by TamaraEssex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

TamaraEssex´s avatar

This is the group who are co-ordinating volunteers and donations for people who have evacuated or lost their homes:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/312338028864557/

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 11:06 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

This happened a few years ago and it was FRIGHTENING standing on our terrace looking towards ELVIRIA and the whole hill was on fire, I just hope that the BRAVE firefighters can bring this to an END and that no LOSS of precious HUMAN LIFE results

I understand it has been a LONG HOT summer which has contributed to the SITUATION hopefully the WIND will keep it away from the HEAVILY POPULATED areas on the COAST

Rod

F--KKKKKK check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN5HN7TjgoQ

This message was last edited by rod on 31/08/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

PRIVATE OWNED SPANISH CARS FOR SALE - 12 posts
University student moving to Spain - 1 posts
Looking for large property to rent and moving from Uk to Spain help :) - 2 posts
car hire - 0 posts
Just moved to Spain - How to register - 8 posts
Linking Paypal to spanish bank account - anyone done this? - 17 posts
Aifos - 0 posts
Paralympic streams - for updating satellite receivers. UK TV Costa Blanca - 0 posts
CAR FOR SALE - 0 posts
Centauro Full/ Full from Murcia - 2 posts
Back-dated Endesa rate. - 21 posts
Security systems - 7 posts
Long-term rental required - 26 posts
Deregister Residencia and Healthcare in order to return to UK - 9 posts
Charges for not taking their Insurance - 10 posts
PETITION: To restore responsible buying and selling of property in Spain - 31 posts
Royal Air Forces Association - 0 posts
no touristy information on Murcia - 3 posts
Need ifo on schools - 0 posts
Warning re Insurance Broker - Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Looking for apartment - 2 posts
Modifying a Car in Spain , some clarification from experts required - 64 posts
Iberswitch - 0 posts
Accessing Bankia Account from UK...getting desperate! - 15 posts
Address on NIE/ Social security - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x