Charges for not taking their Insurance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Aug 2012 3:01 PM by diverdan Star rating in Scotland / Greenock .... 119 posts Send private message

When I was in Spain last month - using MURCIA airport I hired a car from EUROPCAR via an agent.

I declined their extra car insurance and was told that I had to leave 900 euros as deposit if i would not take their insurance.

I declined and fortunately had enough of a limit on my credit card to accept that temperary charge.

Be warned they are getting desperate for you to take this insurance which is just another price hike.

Looking forward to a long retirement in the sun..........

Like 0      
28 Aug 2012 10:58 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

How much was their extra insurance?

Like 0      
28 Aug 2012 11:16 AM by diverdan Star rating in Scotland / Greenock .... 119 posts Send private message

It was 5euros per day and I was out for 20 days. There was no max price. It would have cost me 5x 20 = 100 euros extra for this one car hire. I am out at least 6 times a year so if you do the maths it is far more beneficial to buy annual insurance for the hire car.

Looking forward to a long retirement in the sun..........

Like 0      
28 Aug 2012 1:31 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

I had a look at a few car hire websites. A lot of company’s charge CWD as standard. It is compulsory within the hire price.

Those that don’t like Europcar did not seem to offer it as an optional extra at extra cost on their own booking  website. (At least I could not find it). I did find this statement below in the terms and conditions. No idea where you find a reservations office other than picking up your car.

Insurances :

Deductible Collision Damage, C.D.W., Theft Protection and P.A.I. : Charges may vary by station and by car group. Details are available from Europcar Reservation Office.

Smells of a scam and bad practice to me. Easy to get away with and charge what they like at an airport. God help Mr & Mrs Brit with the 2 kids arriving at night. It would not surprise me if they make it up depending on how vulnerable Billy Brit looks.

I also could not find details on this deposit ‘’blackmail’’ fee. I am sure it will be there somewhere if you have a couple of weeks to look for it.

It all sounds a bit like back to the good old days.

Edited. Had a re-look. CWD, Screen options change and vary depending on which country you state you are booking from. God knows why. Maybe if Sergio books in Spain (no rip off) but (Maude and Burt) from the UK get the special treatment?

This message was last edited by potblack on 28/08/2012.

This message was last edited by potblack on 28/08/2012.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 11:36 AM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi when i hired a car i  bought the extra cover well worth the price.Irene

Like 0      
19 Sep 2012 2:23 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

19 Sep 2012 5:47 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

The only way to end this type of blatant rip-off is to refuse to do business with any company using such tactics and to make sure it receives as much publicity as possible.

Like 0      
19 Sep 2012 3:37 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

The trouble is that it almost impossible to find a company that does not try to sell excess insurance or charge your credit card with a large amount.

We picked up a hire car at Manchester Airport in April and as well the hire charges of over £200 for ten days hire we were asked for £15 per day excess insurance When we refused the offer they charged our credit card £750.

We expected a charge but a massive increase from 2011. It also took two weeks to credit the £750 after we returned the car.

Jean

Like 0      
19 Sep 2012 4:58 PM by lorraine56 Star rating in Granada Spain. 51 posts Send private message

The best car hire company I have found is malagacar.com . New cars, low milage. fuel at garage prices and no hard sell re insurance and no large amount blocked from credit card. I always take their excess insurance as it is only €4 per day with a maximum of €56 per rental period and never had any problems with them. All staff very helpfull.

Like 0      
19 Sep 2012 5:30 PM by semo Star rating in Ireland. 84 posts Send private message

I also use malagacar but their policies have changed.  They now charge for an additional driver, they also take a deposit if you don't take their excess insurance - even when you can produce your own and they also have changed their fuel policy.  Having said that the staff are exceptionally good.  The staff are not happy either about the changes and told me to complain as that way maybe 'the bosses' will listen.  They were having lots of complaints about the changed policies. The other thing i noticed that when the charge was refunded to my credit card - the credit card company took a fee for using a credit card for transactions that were not sterling.  I was always advised to take the charge in the currency of the country you are in.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2012 11:04 AM by brownhog Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

The Santander Zero card and Nationwide Select are the cards I use in Spain. You pay in euros and there are no charges from the bank.

When collecting a car at Murcia I refused to take the insurance as I have a yearly policy to cover this. I then asked to pay in euros and was told it must be in sterling. An amount of around 700 euros was taken from my card.

On checking with Goldcar's office, there is no reason as to why I couldn't pay in euros. They do this to give you a lousy exchange rate.

The airport staff are bullies, and know that you are vulnerable. Totally agree with 66d35 and use a local family firm who have a full/full policy and an option to take the extra insurance without debiting your card if you don't, and no charge for an extra driver.

Peace of mind and great service is surely worth paying a little more.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

PETITION: To restore responsible buying and selling of property in Spain - 31 posts
Royal Air Forces Association - 0 posts
no touristy information on Murcia - 3 posts
Need ifo on schools - 0 posts
Warning re Insurance Broker - Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Looking for apartment - 2 posts
Modifying a Car in Spain , some clarification from experts required - 64 posts
Iberswitch - 0 posts
Accessing Bankia Account from UK...getting desperate! - 15 posts
Address on NIE/ Social security - 9 posts
Suggestions on a Postcard to... - 1 posts
Best place to buy a new TV - 13 posts
Corvera airport revisited - 1 posts
Belmonteinternational - 0 posts
Would like to watch English speaking TV - 9 posts
President withdraws resignation - 5 posts
Free guides for rest of August - 0 posts
Dation and balance - 0 posts
Is this REALLY secure and safe? - 6 posts
Rogue Tenant - 0 posts
Property costs in Barcelona - 0 posts
Olympic Bloopers - 4 posts
Advice on the Canary Islands please - 1 posts
Peuguot 307 convert. 2008 For Sale - 0 posts
Long term rental in or around Ciudad Quesada. - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x