drink driving

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Jul 2012 3:40 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

Drinking is a drug and I guess if you smoked a neat joint ie no tobacco all to yourself you would definitely be unfit to get behind the wheel.  I therefore think in practice the same rule of thumb should apply ie no drugs and driving.  That way it's simple and no-one gets confused do they?  After all, I reiterate unless one is an "addict" surely when getting behind the wheel we should be 100% in possession of our faculties shouldn't we? 

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
18 Jul 2012 5:18 PM by fazeress Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

Foxilady, I quite agree, you've hit the nail on the head!  Johnz, If you know your limits and you're happy with that then I sure as hell am!    I personally don't bother to have anything at all if I'm driving but I understand thats my personal choice!

Like 0      
18 Jul 2012 5:31 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Faz
Johnz, If you know your  limits.
It’s not my limit it is that prescribed by law. So maximum one small, can of beer.

Bergspyder
johnzx, Your self-imposed limits are certainly laudable, 
Again not mine but the law.

Great to hear that you too can handle a bike. But what your comment about speed (my days of doing a ton plus are long over) has to do with not drinking and driving I don’t understand.  

Like 0      
18 Jul 2012 6:40 PM by fazeress Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

Johnz you're very perdantic! (?spelling!)  You know what I mean!!  I'm sure there are many regular drinkers who can get away with 2 pints and not be over the limit, tho I have to admit thats in the Uk where the limit allows for more so maybe not in Spain!  I think I'm getting bored with this thread now, can we find something new to talk about??

Johnz, do you happen to know anything about having a fleet insurance in Spain by fair chance?  It would be for a fleet of off-road motorcycles and possibly a couple of cars.  Just thought I'd ask

Like 0      
18 Jul 2012 6:56 PM by bergspyder Star rating. 44 posts Send private message

Wong again johnzx. I can't remember what you wrote (not surprising in, what, 1000 posts in, what, 1 year?) but seem to recall it was 1 can of beer and that doesn't put your blood/alcohol level over 0.5mg/ml legal limit. The "ton" was a term used when bikes were in the the 50BHP level (Gold Star, Square 4, Trident, etc) but today's road-legal bikes (which should please you) are around 200BHP and 100mph is only 2nd gear (of 6). A friend has just taken the UK road-legal bike speed record at 249mph, which required 400BHP at the back wheel, and I've downed more bottles of whisky with him than I care (or can) remember. I took my IAM licence and did my HGV(1) in the UK, and no-one ever said I shouldn't have taken beer beforehand. ** EDITED - Threatening another member **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 19/07/2012.

Like 0      
18 Jul 2012 7:08 PM by fazeress Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

Bergspyder, do you know Mike Grainger?  I know him too as we also run a motorcycle shop not a million miles away!  To my knowledge he's the one who did the speed record on his Hayabusa?

Like 0      
18 Jul 2012 8:28 PM by bergspyder Star rating. 44 posts Send private message

Yes, I do and a close friend. We've been though many stories together and one thing I know: With him behind, you fear nothing. The loss of his company just made this guy stronger, and we're talking big figures here+

Like 0      
19 Jul 2012 6:46 AM by prospain Star rating in Spain & Hong Kong. 38 posts Send private message

prospain´s avatar

Dear bobaol

I still believe the whole world would be a safer place for everyone if the alcohol driving limit was zero worldwide. I agree most people act responsible, but many do not. With a zero limit there is no area of doubt. Why put lives at risk. Why is it so essential that some people must be allowed to have a pint or two when driving? Explain that to the child that just got killed by the person who had 2 pints and his good old mates persuaded him to have one more for the road.

You accused me of not answering all your points. I believe below does. However I do not have answers to a person who wants to drive after getting completely drunk and legless that goes to bed at 2.30am and wants to drive at 7.00am. Or the person who wants to eat 4 Christmas cakes swilled down with a bottle of mouthwash.

The problem with a "zero" alcohol limit is that it would mean exactly that, zero.  You couldn't drink the night before (or possibly for several nights) as alcohol stays in the blood for some considerable time. Absolute rubbish. Alcohol is metabolized at the rate of .015 of blood alcohol concentration (BAC) every hour. Thus a person with a very high BAC of .15 will have no measurable alcohol in the bloodstream after ten hours (.15 divided by .015 = 10).

Some medications, such as some antihistamines, contain alcohol. Not sure about that.Sedating antihistamines cause drowsiness and may therefore affect your ability to drive or operate machinery safely. This should not be a problem if you take them before going to bed, but be aware of your potentially reduced ability if you are going to perform any hazardous tasks.
Drinking alcohol with a sedating antihistamine can increase the drowsiness it causes and should be avoided.

A little of that Christmas cake with the sherry or brandy in?  Sorry, zero is zero.  And put that chocolate liquor down this instance!! More rubbish. You would have to eat the whole cake or the whole box of chocolate to even have an outside chance of it showing on the alcohol meter.  

What do you mean; you accidentally swallowed a bit of that mouthwash? More rubbish. You would need to drink at least half the bottle. Many mouthwashes do not contain alcohol at all. So if that is your preferred tipple buy non alcohol mouthwash. 

Right, it's a taxi to work for you today, my lad. Spanish taxi!!! Maybe safer to have a drink!!! 

And, after 50 years or so of "tippling", I could probably lay off the booze for a month and still have a little bit of blood left in my alcohol stream. Maybe 50 years of tippling has affected your health. 

Like 0      
19 Jul 2012 10:05 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Oh dear, prospain.  I bet that niggled at you all night, didn't it?  You just had to stay up to think of some sort of reply.

I suppose it was a bit silly to inject a little bit of humour into posts as it seems to irk the narrow minded.  I bet you are anti-smoking as well.  

Goodbye

Like 0      
19 Jul 2012 11:58 AM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

Just a small point.  Christmas cake with alcohol contained in it is "cooked away" so no dangers on that one.  Any meal with alcohol that has been cooked actually cooks the alcohol away.  So just eat your alcohol lol.

Like 0      
19 Jul 2012 1:51 PM by fazeress Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

Bergspyder, what a small world it is!!  Mike is a lovely guy and I hope he makes a go of his business this time around.  Its very difficult for the larger shops with having to have so much stock.  We have a single franchise in Newton Abbot but we get to see Mike at various meetings etc.....

I'm still in shock that I should meet someone on here who knows someone that I do!!

Like 0      
19 Jul 2012 7:33 PM by bergspyder Star rating. 44 posts Send private message

Yes fazerless, he's a great guy & I'm sure if anyone can make a go of it (after disasterous association with George White), he will especially now he's got GT back. Don't know where you are but Mike was over here, near Baza, last year with me; we should have met up..... And his, well my now,  ZZR (bergspyder) is sitting in my garage; I'm having trouble getting a Spanish plate on it.....

Incidentally, on a completely different subject, I've just noticed my post of yesterday was edited by EOS and take this opportunity to extend my sincere & unreserved apologies to johnzx, EOS team and anyone who felt threatened or otherwise put-out by me. That was not my intention but I did have 1 or perhaps 3, um -- mouthwashes? -- last night so maybe it came across wrong, and I can't check it (as the post's been edited). I do add that, on this thread in which we all agreed -- I think -- drink driving's a bad idea, I've enjoyed the banter & wit (Foxilady, bobaol, ....) & anecdotes. Obviously I wasn't able to match it, and I apologise again to those I may have offended. I'm not a bad guy!

Like 0      
19 Jul 2012 8:06 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

spyder, the typed word can often be misunderstood can't it.  I joke about a lot and try not to do that too much as it has offended people in the past, it's just not the same as face to face.  I for one haven't been offended by anything you have said so no worries.  Just going out on the bike now, as its stopped raining.  Nick has become a fair weather biker, he'd kill me for saying that lol.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

beware "EXACT CHANGE" Bureaux in Malaga Airport - 1 posts
- 0 posts
- 0 posts
New - 4 posts
Best Internet Landline and Mobile Provider - 1 posts
SabadellCAM - 5 posts
The Politicians in a Panic - 24 posts
Indian Restaurant Mojacar Playa - 0 posts
Hello - 4 posts
using unsold apartment - 52 posts
LATEST AUSTERITY MEASURES. - 2 posts
civil residency -> gift tax -> and tax :) - 0 posts
What will I spend it on - 1 posts
Any bicycle hire shops near Algorfa? - 1 posts
Bank witholding information - advice please - 4 posts
New airport bus service from Playa Flamenca to Alicante - 2 posts
Help needed - 1 posts
Shutter repairs in Torrevieja - 2 posts
Small Chest Freezer for Sale - 0 posts
A little late but, it looks like Spain is finally getting the message - 2 posts
What happens if landlady issues a denuncia for unpaid final rent?? - 11 posts
IVA Hike - 12 posts
Overland Pet transport reviews - 0 posts
Torresat and Teleast - 3 posts
Hello - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 53

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x