Baja Consular is it cruel joke

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Mar 2012 12:00 AM by harryfish Star rating. 34 posts Send private message

I have employed the services of a customs agent to release my shipment of personal freight from customs.

He informed me that I need in addition to many other things a document called a 'baja consular'.

Apparantly I can obtain this from the British Consulate in Australia.

Apparantlyx  this this document states that I intend to go to and settle in Spain!

Without this I have to pay 28-30% tax.

Does anyone have any experience of this document?

Like 0      
26 Mar 2012 5:11 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I can't recall what the name of the document was, but when we relocated here from the Middle East we required a letter from the British Consular office saying that we had been resident in the UAE for at least one year prior to the letter being issued (and our shipment leaving the UAE).  

Could this be what you mean?

Like 0      
26 Mar 2012 5:41 PM by harryfish Star rating. 34 posts Send private message

Hi Jan, yes I think it may be the same.

I just don't understand why they consider the British Consulate would have the faintest idea where I have resided, 

Like 0      
26 Mar 2012 6:02 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Yes, I know it seems a bit vague - we had the benefit of our visa when we were in Dubai, which showed we were resident there.   If you are a British citizen who was resident in Australia for the year prior to your goods being shipped here, then maybe you can prove that from your passport, work, visa, ??  I'm not sure (and I can't recall all the details), but I think its purpose is to aid in showing that the 'household goods' you are importing into Spain are just that (that's if you are declaring your shipment to be personal/household goods). 

Like 0      
26 Mar 2012 7:17 PM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

When we arrived in Spain just over 4 years ago we had to go to Alicante to get a Baja Consular to show that the car we had bought with us from England was for our own use and was not for resale .  This way we did not have any import tax to pay.  Hope this helps 

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
27 Mar 2012 6:23 PM by herbalist36 Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

when someone resides in a foreign country it is a great idea to register with ones embassy as living in that country, then any document required can be obtained.

good luck

Like 0      
02 Apr 2012 1:54 AM by harryfish Star rating. 34 posts Send private message

Thank you everyone for your replys.

I have now arrived in torremolinos I Will try to obtain a baja consular from the nearest british consulate if someone can inform me

where it is.

British consulate in Australia said they did'nt  supply them as they had no way of verifying where I was, [fair point].

Bye for now

Like 0      
02 Apr 2012 3:35 AM by stillgoin Star rating. 161 posts Send private message

malaga just google address telephone

Like 0      
02 Apr 2012 4:18 AM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

British Consulate in Malaga

Calle Mauricio Moro Pareto, 2
Edificio Eurocom
29006 Málaga

Postal address: Apto. de Correos 360
29080 Málaga

Tel: 902 109 356 (from Spain ) 
Tel: (+34) 91 334 2194 (from outside Spain) 

Fax: (+34) 952 359 211
email: Malaga.Consulate@fco.gov.uk

Hours

Monday to Friday (except bank holidays): 08:30 - 13:30. 

Like 0      
02 Apr 2012 6:13 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

When I came to Spain 24 years ago I registered  with the British Consulate. I do not know if one still can or indeed why one would want to, except to make it simpler for someone to trace where you are.

My experience of the British Embassy/Consulates in several countries is they are seldom are able or willing to help with anything and if they can they charge an arm and a leg.

I recently realised, after 72 years, that as my mother was born in Belfast, even though I was born in London,  I was considered to be an Irish National by Ireland (Eire). I applied for and got my free passport last year. 

Irish consulate charge 20 euros for a service which a few years ago I paid the British Consulate over £300 for !!!!

I now have dual nationaity, but will not be renewing my British passport next year,  for something approaching 200 Euros.

Like 0      
02 Apr 2012 10:38 AM by dringman Star rating in www.Condadoexcursion.... 772 posts Send private message

dringman´s avatar
we did same coming to spain and avoided import tax on car we drove over . well worth doing. but do

not leave too long

www.condadoexcursions.com   Airport Transfers Day Trips Alhama de Murcia Taxi No 10  
tel +441212881323   +34 622714979

Like 0      
12 Jun 2013 1:35 PM by alexdron Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Harryfish, how did this turn out?  We're moving from Dubai back to Spain and we had the same experience here as you had in Australia.

Was the consulate in Malaga able to help?

Like 0      
12 Jun 2013 5:36 PM by harryfish Star rating. 34 posts Send private message

Hi alexdron,

You can make an appointment online with the embassy and make a sworn declaration.

You will need some documents they will advice you when you tell them what you are importing.

And of course a fee, I think  70euros.

This process took me 6 weeks so contact the embassy asap

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mercedes SL or similar WANTED - 0 posts
Cost of automatic swimming pool cleaner (suction or electrical driven) - 2 posts
What´s on in Formentera del Segura This Week - 3 posts
scam from china - 1 posts
Need a white van man - 0 posts
Hz - 13 posts
we are looking for a fantastic electrician ................. - 1 posts
working in spain as an electrical engineer - 1 posts
Motel near Logrono except dogs - 0 posts
100 million what a waste - 0 posts
International Driving Licence - 7 posts
buying a gas bottle Quesada area - 4 posts
Bank Complaints Procedure - 3 posts
mignon - 1 posts
Will be hoping to move down to spain in November - 1 posts
New here, my question is about driving my camper van down - 2 posts
where to buy a replacement car radiator - 10 posts
summer time - 4 posts
general strike - 33 posts
siberian husky puppy & serval kitten for rescue urgent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 0 posts
Household items for sale - 0 posts
Deep Cycle Batteries - 4 posts
finding a stopover between Bilbao & Quesada driving via Valancia - 2 posts
Private pension with Mapfre Insurance ! - 3 posts
children in front seats - 26 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x