English channels.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Mar 2012 12:00 AM by amy5james4 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi, i have apartment at marina dor, at costa azahar in spain. Do anyone know how i can get english channels on my tv, or know of anyone that can do this for me, and the cost please. Thank you stephie.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2012 1:56 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Hi Amy and James

If you have the necessary ADSL you can lock into BBC and others? from a Proxy Server such as S4UVPN at £9.90 a quarter (or try it first for £1.50 for a week) and get the TV on your laptop or PC, and then connect via suitable cables to your TV. I am unsure re Sky as I do not use them.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2012 2:12 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

You have several options.  Spanish digital TV, via an aerial, gives you the option of changing to English if the original programme was in that language.  They are not English channels, though but have quite a good choice of American series to choose from. This system is free as it just connects to the aerial socket in your wall.

A rebroadcaster.  These are companies that pick up the channels on their big dish and than retransmit them to you via a small dish on your roof.  The legality of these companies can be questionable and they will charge around €20 a month.  There may be a setup fee of a few hundred euros.  Many of these have gone out of business over the years and people have been left with no service after paying up front.

Internet provider.  These companies offer broadband, telephone and TV.  TV channels are English and can be limited in choice.  Again, set up fees of around 1 to 2 hundred euros (some are offering free setup).  Usually a monthly fee of around 20 to 30 euros.  Some of the bigger companies (the real, legal one) can charge around 40 to 60 euros a month.  Not all the bigger companies give English channels.  You can access English channels on your PC for free but generally needs hiding your Spanish IP address as things like BBC iPlayer requires a UK address.  The IP hiders generally have lots of advertising or will charge a few euros a month.  

Cable companies.  These connect you with a cable instead of a broadcast signal.  More stable in periods of bad weather but more expensive to set up.  Again, a monthly fee is required.

A dish on your roof.  You can access free channels from the Sky satellites (or any satellite in range come to that).  The size of the dish will depend on the area you are in and the installation costs can vary from 400 to 1200 euros or even more.  The advantage is there are no monthly fee and, once set up, you get the English channels with no further payments except, maybe, a dish realignment every few years or so (depending on high winds etc or if the satellite changes).  You will get the definitions of free to view, free to air, freesat, freeview etc etc but, suffice to say, you will get lots of channels with no extra charge or the need for a Sky card.  If you have a Sky box with card, you can bring your card over with you on holidays etc and use it.  Against the T&Cs for Sky but a couple of weeks a year won't really break Sky.  Using the Sky card permanently means telling a fib as you need a UK address and is expensive. If you get a problem and need to contact Sky from a Spanish number or address they will terminate your contract.

Look in the free papers and TV papers.  Loads of advertisers in there for TV suppliers.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2012 8:47 PM by costa.del.sky Star rating. 97 posts Send private message

Avoid this like the plague!!! 

A rebroadcaster.  These are companies that pick up the channels on their big dish and than retransmit them to you via a small dish on your roof.  The legality of these companies can be questionable and they will charge around €20 a month.  There may be a setup fee of a few hundred euros.  Many of these have gone out of business over the years and people have been left with no service after paying up front.

Satellite installers like myself are plenty, just make sure you get a good one, if you like get a price and ask me here if its fair, expect to pay approx:

180€ for Dish

40€ Support

15€ Single LNB

Installation between 50€and 100€ depending on difficulty!

Up to 1€m for cable, however I charge 80cents for exterior and interior slightly cheaper.

A reciever, depending if you want Sky or Freesat, Costs can vary.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

EUC (Residnents committe) meeting debacle - 0 posts
information wanted about Energysaversspain please.save up to 30% on electricity? - 4 posts
transfer onto spanish plates - 3 posts
Lawyrs fees on claiming back Capitol gains tax - 5 posts
UK or Spanish Mortgage? - 1 posts
Generic Bank Guarantee's - 24 posts
Stroppy Tenant - 6 posts
Kindle with 3G - 17 posts
Standing Charges - 4 posts
high chair - 0 posts
travel cot - 0 posts
A question for Justin re Blog comments - 3 posts
Mobile Internet - 14 posts
Claiming back IVA in UK or Spain for refurbishment - 7 posts
A Big Thank You - 4 posts
Campsite? - 4 posts
Rejas and Security Alarms advice - 5 posts
Electricity & Utilities. - 17 posts
Roof Bars wanted - 0 posts
Hi i am new here - 0 posts
Dickmanns car hire no thanks - 8 posts
Should i pay a reservation deposit??? - 42 posts
looking for a reputable estate agent in the granada area to sell a property - 5 posts
Worst bank - 5 posts
Rollator Walking Aid for sale €95 - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x