Claiming back IVA in UK or Spain for refurbishment

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Mar 2012 12:00 AM by arambol Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

I'm a property owner in Spain but reside in the UK and I currently have a builder refurbishing my villa.

He has offered the job with or without IVA @ 18% and the IVA will account for approx 6,000 euro.

I presume by paying cash I wouldn't receive an invoice/ receipt? I trust the builder so I'm not concerned with needing proof of the payments .... but is there any other advantage to having a receipt?

Is there a way to claim back the IVA or at least claim something back?

If I can't in Spain is there anyway I can in the UK for the work done to my Spanish property?

Appreciate any assistance.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2012 7:14 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Unless you have a registered business in Spain I can't see how you could claim back any IVA paid, and also can't see why you would be able to claim it back in the UK, any more than you can claim back the IVA you pay on any goods or services purchased in Spain. Maybe there's some loophole I don't know about. Looking to the longer term though, if you have a proper invoice for the work, this could be deducted from any future capital gain that may be taxable upon the sale of the property. Also, without an IVA invoice, you have absolutely no guarantee or recourse with the builder. Chance you take.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Mar 2012 12:09 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Roberto is correct on claiming the IVA back, there is no way to do it as an individual, and so there shouldn't be!  Otherwise we'd all claim it back for everything we bought so it would make it pointless charging it in the first place.

In terms of the invoice/ receipt, that's up to you but surely it's piece of mind to have it, even if you do know the builder?  After all the horror stories we hear, I would be very uncomfortable in not having that security going forward.  What if he does do a bad job, or something goes wrong in a year's time?  If you've only paid cash your options to get those issues fixed would be much more reduced.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
03 Mar 2012 5:53 PM by PablodeRonda Star rating in Ronda (Málaga). 76 posts Send private message

Mmm! Several moot points here. Clearly there's no way of reclaiming the IVA anywhere, but to save 6000 euros is very tempting. The point about CGT is true, but that would only save about 1250 euros.

Not paying IVA seems to be a national pastime here - it's almost condoned by everybody. Small wonder that the government doesn't have enough cash in its coffers!

At the end of the day it's your choice ...

Like 0      
06 Mar 2012 11:37 AM by arambol Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Thanks for the replies. Food for thought.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2012 12:42 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Under certain circumstances it's reclaimable in rthe UK.

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/feature/reclaiming-vat-renovation

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2012 2:09 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOM/LANG_CASTELLANO/_ESPECIALES/AYUDAS_PEVR0912/IRPF/

There is a possibility for deducting 20% of refurbishment expenses in your annual non resident income taxes regarding the house if you meet the criteria of the law which is explained in the link above. It is in force from 7th of May 2011 to 31st of December 2012.

You need of course to have a formal invoice with VAT in order to be able to claim these expenses back.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
06 Mar 2012 2:25 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

I would expect UK  VAT to only be reclaimable on a UK property under that scheme.

Jean

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

A Big Thank You - 4 posts
Campsite? - 4 posts
Rejas and Security Alarms advice - 5 posts
Electricity & Utilities. - 17 posts
Roof Bars wanted - 0 posts
Hi i am new here - 0 posts
Dickmanns car hire no thanks - 8 posts
Should i pay a reservation deposit??? - 42 posts
looking for a reputable estate agent in the granada area to sell a property - 5 posts
Worst bank - 5 posts
Rollator Walking Aid for sale €95 - 0 posts
non resident civil partners Inheritance Tax on death of partner - 6 posts
Dacions still being granted ? - 4 posts
What sort of picture quality should we get on SKy generally - 2 posts
Association of Citzens - 2 posts
Sabadell take over of Cam - 23 posts
Reserving one's vote at an AGM - 2 posts
MANILVA BUSINESS - 2 posts
saint malo to malaga - 2 posts
spanish mortgage - 8 posts
TV through computer - 5 posts
Hi All im New - 1 posts
sky tv - 4 posts
Tims second hand fridges Atalaya Park - 1 posts
Medical cover for the hard of understanding? - 29 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x