Rejas and Security Alarms advice

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Mar 2012 12:00 AM by arambol Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

I live in the UK and have had several break-ins at my property on the Costa Del Sol over the years.

I'm looking to have rejas and possibly an alarm fitted and have a few questions. 

Should the rejas be cemented into the walls or will strong security bolts be ok? The companies I talk to seem to use bolts.

Are the small alarms that bolt onto the rejas any good? They sound when someone tries to rip off the rejas.

Can I buy a wireless Yale alarm in the UK and fit it myself in Spain? They seem to be the same system in Spain but half the price in the UK.

Many thanks. I would appreciate any guidance.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2012 12:44 PM by manyarna Star rating in the UK- Heart is in .... 59 posts Send private message

I would cement in the Rejas.  I have however even seen them break in through simply smashing a hole in the wall after trying the rejas.

You can fit any alarm system you want but they can be tempermental with the extreme heat if the place is left locked up. The cheaper units can be set off by spiders and flies. The more expensive units have daul tech sensors and are more reliable.

It all comes down to how many people you have around you that will hear and actually do anything about the alarm sounding particulary if it goes off falsely and disturbs them.  I  do however still think they are worth having but may be worth looking at a monitered alarm if you dont have a good network of people close to the property. If you do then any good alarm should be great.

Recent crimes I hear about being committed (reputed as being largley eastern european gangs) even where alarms were triggered dont seem to worry them to much as they know in some locations the police can take 20 / 30 minutes to respond.

Im not an alarm engineer but have fitted quite a few in the UK and europe both pre and post burglary

Like 0      
01 Mar 2012 2:38 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Unless the rejas are extremely strong, most are flimsy, they can be car jacked apart, or forced out of the walls.    

As for fixings, as the walls are generally are of the ceramic brick type the only way to make them reasonably secure would be by putting bolts though the walls, with very large metal plates on the inside. But even then if they wanna get it in,  they will.

Alarms would only be of any use if connected to a company which will respond very quickly.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2012 6:21 PM by arambol Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Thanks for the replies. 

Do you have any experience/ opinion on the sirens that attach to the rejas and sound if they are tampered with?

Like 0      
02 Mar 2012 2:49 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Anything is better than nothing, but maybe not a lot better though !

With audible alarms, bells, sirens etc they are only any good if someone is going to respond more or less instantly. They may frighten off a thief, but there again, he (usually he) may just wait nearby to see if there is any response and when there is none continue as he was !

Usually no one takes any notice of audible alarms other to complain about the inconvenience of the noise !

Like car alarms going off, who takes any notice?

Of course if you are on the premises then any alarm may be useful.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2012 12:19 PM by longlegpete Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Rejas and Alarms are another deterrent, the more deterrents you have the more likely it is they will go somewhere else

As to whether the Rejas are better concreted in or bolted depends on the type/size/length of bolt and the type of wall, solid walls with good fixing on the inside of the window wall should be just as good as cemented in ones, don’t forget to tell the installers to put some weld on the bolt heads, also you realy want solid metal and as large diameter as you can afford/want to see, ones that look thick but are tubing can be bent/cut much easer.

For me wireless alarms are not the way to go, they cost more for the same quality components as wired alarms and are more prone to false alarms due to battery problems/drain with the sensors, as has been said alarms are only any good if someone will respond, if you have neighbours that live close to you and would not mind if you had an activation at 3am going and having a look then audible only should be ok but the best systems are monitored 24/7 and most security company’s will for a small extra monthly fee add security guard protection, i/e if it goes off they will go there straight away and be in contact with the police, again this is better if the company is local but anything is better than giving people all the time they need to take what they want.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Electricity & Utilities. - 17 posts
Roof Bars wanted - 0 posts
Hi i am new here - 0 posts
Dickmanns car hire no thanks - 8 posts
Should i pay a reservation deposit??? - 42 posts
looking for a reputable estate agent in the granada area to sell a property - 5 posts
Worst bank - 5 posts
Rollator Walking Aid for sale €95 - 0 posts
non resident civil partners Inheritance Tax on death of partner - 6 posts
Dacions still being granted ? - 4 posts
What sort of picture quality should we get on SKy generally - 2 posts
Association of Citzens - 2 posts
Sabadell take over of Cam - 23 posts
Reserving one's vote at an AGM - 2 posts
MANILVA BUSINESS - 2 posts
saint malo to malaga - 2 posts
spanish mortgage - 8 posts
TV through computer - 5 posts
Hi All im New - 1 posts
sky tv - 4 posts
Tims second hand fridges Atalaya Park - 1 posts
Medical cover for the hard of understanding? - 29 posts
buying an apartment - 3 posts
building licences - 6 posts
trying to find a friend i have lost touch with - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x